Martinez suspended indefinitely

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

kdwrightuwyo wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Getting into a bar fight is one thing. What he did was another. Hence the charges.
What exactly did he do that is warranting the charges?
My guess is that...he wasn't going to get into any trouble then someone who got his ass kicked by martinez got his feelers hurt and demanded that something be done.

From what I have heard around town about Luke is that a lot of people do not like him. Which is weird to me cuz the night of the CU win at the Buckhorn he came up to me and "swore he recognized me" and was friendly. But then other people have said that they always see him at the Buck fighting people and getting into poop.

But...the word around is that he is getting into fights bein a drunk-ass.

And where did the word come out that he was protecting his girlfriend or whatever? I never read anything on that at all then people were talking about it. Did I miss something?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

McPeachy wrote:Getting into a bar fight is one thing. What he did was another. Hence the charges.
Really? You're going to put that out there, and leave everyone hanging?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

This....would suck. God dammit.....every time something good gets going at UW, poop like this happens. Snake-Bitten U.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

According to Wyoming Statute:

6-2-502.� Aggravated assault and battery; penalty.

(a)� A person is guilty of aggravated assault and battery if he:

(i)� Causes or attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another intentionally, knowingly or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life;

(ii)� Attempts to cause, or intentionally or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon;

(iii)� Threatens to use a drawn deadly weapon on another unless reasonably necessary in defense of his person, property or abode or to prevent serious bodily injury to another; or

(iv)� Intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to a woman whom he knows is pregnant.

(b)� Aggravated assault and battery is a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than ten (10) years.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

In case people were unaware of the seriousness of an aggravated assault charge!!! We won't see him back as a Cowboy as nothing will possiblity be settled in time.

A Typical Scenario: Plea to a lesser charge about 6 months after initial charges filed.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Looks more like it was blown out of proportion. If it was that bad, the police would have arrested him on the spot. I'm thinking it was more likely he popped someone in the mouth or nose and that was it. And the person who got popped is pissed and wants Martinez to suffer for it.

Could be wrong, but it wouldn't be the first time somthing like this happened.

All Martinez had was a "boxer's fracture", which, when punching with bad form, even 1 punch, you can break it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:Looks more like it was blown out of proportion. If it was that bad, the police would have arrested him on the spot. I'm thinking it was more likely he popped someone in the mouth or nose and that was it. And the person who got popped is pissed and wants Martinez to suffer for it.

All Martinez had was a "boxer's fracture", which, when punching with bad form, even 1 punch, you can break it.
Maybe. Doesn't change the fact that he was charged with AGGRAVATED ASSAULT. No team in America is going to let a player facing felony charges continue to play, regardless of what the facts may be (until they are adjudicated).
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:Looks more like it was blown out of proportion. If it was that bad, the police would have arrested him on the spot. I'm thinking it was more likely he popped someone in the mouth or nose and that was it. And the person who got popped is pissed and wants Martinez to suffer for it.

Maybe. Doesn't change the fact that he was charged with AGGRAVATED ASSAULT. No team in America is going to let a player facing felony charges continue to play, regardless of what the facts may be (until they are adjudicated).
He wasn't playing anyways, he has to sit out for his broken finger in the first place.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:

He wasn't playing anyways, he has to sit out for his broken finger in the first place.
The boxer's fracture will heal before the season ends. The criminal charges probably won't.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:

The boxer's fracture will heal before the season ends. The criminal charges probably won't.
Hopefully the charges get dropped. I know absolutely nothing regarding this incident, but we can only hope cooler heads prevail. And Luke, if you are out causing problems, stop.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote: Hopefully the charges get dropped. I know absolutely nothing regarding this incident, but we can only hope cooler heads prevail. And Luke, if you are out causing problems, stop.
I just don't a a high chance that the charges would be dropped before the season ends. The criminal process takes awhile.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Simple assault and disorderly conduct yes. Aggravated assault no way! It's not Luke's fault the guy has a glass jaw. All kidding aside, Luke made a poor choice of being at Buckhorn. The events after that at this point we will never know. Luke will have already paid a pretty strong consequence of letting his teammates down , missing games and the pain of a broken hand. Let him play
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

After some research, this is what I've concluded. I am not a lawyer:

From what I could gather, if all you do is punch someone in the mouth one time, break your hand, and wait for the cops to show....you could be charged with assault, but you are not going to be charged with AGGRAVATED assault. In order to be charged with aggravated assault, like Oredigger pointed out, it has to be with a deadly weapon, or with intention to cause 'serious bodily injury' with disregard for human life. Legally, 'serious bodily injury' is not a black eye. It's something that can potentially be life threatening.

Police need witnesses and/or evidence to arrest someone. It's safe to assume he wasn't arrested that night because they obviously didn't have those things at that time.

Will be interesting to find out what really went down that night.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter f-word trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

BeaverPoke wrote:I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter f-word trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.
Well the only other alternative to this being the case is that Luke actually deserves the charges. I hope that's not the case either!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:I hope to god that this isn't a case of some douche bag who got his ass kicked and is a bitter f-word trying to ruin Luke's career. And by career I mean the rest of his college basketball playing days as I doubt Luke will make the NBA, and I read somewhere that Luke wants to be a firefighter after basketball. I hope this thing won't stop him from doing that.
A Felony conviction would undoubtedly ruin/impair his chances to become a firefighter. Very few jobs (and especially public sector jobs) don't require you to disclose felony convictions. Under federal law, you CAN"T carry or possess a firearm with a felony conviction.

That said, he is simply CHARGED at this point.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Well to be honest this is only one persons fault. It is Lukes fault. He made the choice to go to the bar that night when he could have made a different choice. Someone else could be being a d-bag about it but if Luke wouldn't have put himself in the situation then it wouldn't have happened. So in reality the only person to blame is Luke himself. I'm sure Luke already knows all of this. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and not play the victims role whether it was his fault or not he should have never been there during the season.

Hopefully Luke isn't charged and everything works out fine for him. Whether he gets to play basketball again or not hopefully he doesn't have to have anything on his record. No reason to blame anyone else for the situation though quite frankly.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Well the only other alternative to this being the case is that Luke actually deserves the charges. I hope that's not the case either!

I agree, if he did do something that would warrant the charges then that is something else.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Also.... why in the hell is Shyatt even letting any members of the team go to the bar during the season? I mean I know Luke and some of the other players are old enough to drink but if I'm the coach I have a strict rule about no members of the team being allowed in any clubs or bars during the season and if you are caught at one then you get to miss a game or something. I would think Shyatt might have something in place after this situation because only bad can come from players hanging out in those types of places.

Of course maybe he had something in place already but it seems if he would have then Luke would have been suspended before.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote:Also.... why in the hell is Shyatt even letting any members of the team go to the bar during the season? I mean I know Luke and some of the other players are old enough to drink but if I'm the coach I have a strict rule about no members of the team being allowed in any clubs or bars during the season and if you are caught at one then you get to miss a game or something. I would think Shyatt might have something in place after this situation because only bad can come from players hanging out in those types of places.

Of course maybe he had something in place already but it seems if he would have then Luke would have been suspended before.
That is wishful thinking but that is never going to happen.
You would never get players to stay 3 or 4 years here if they can not go out to the bar. They are 21 year olds and college kids. Just because they play college hoops wearing a UW jersey doesn't mean that they have to live a sheltered life.
I'm sure they want to be winning just as bad as we want them to