Martinez suspended indefinitely

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

djm19 wrote:okay guys, here is the WORST part about this....

Reruiting, perception, etc... it will blow over.

Here is the biggest issue-

We have a dozen guys on the team, battling for the MW title and one of the best seasons in Cowboy basketball history. And along comes this gigantic distraction. I feel for the guys here to play ball and get an education. I can't imagine how big of a distraction this has got to be for them. Shyatt and players are saying the right things, but it is a mirage. This has to be affecting the locker rooom. Not sure how it can't.

We could be looking at the biggest roller coaster of basketball hisotry. High of highs and low of lows. Riding high first half and "possibly" could be lowest of low the secodn half of season.

Although the most cliche thing I can say, time for the players to Cowboy Up. They will need it.
On the other hand, if they handle this right - it's something that could make them REALLY gel as a group and play better than ever. That which doesn't kill you...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

agreed, time to Cowboy up and get it done game at a time. we have wonderful coaches and mentors for these players, it's time for them put their mark on this program and what is and isn't tolerated. sad state of affairs, imagine the chants at away games once the students get wind of this garbage. NOT NEEDED
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
djm19 wrote:okay guys, here is the WORST part about this....

Reruiting, perception, etc... it will blow over.

Here is the biggest issue-

We have a dozen guys on the team, battling for the MW title and one of the best seasons in Cowboy basketball history. And along comes this gigantic distraction. I feel for the guys here to play ball and get an education. I can't imagine how big of a distraction this has got to be for them. Shyatt and players are saying the right things, but it is a mirage. This has to be affecting the locker rooom. Not sure how it can't.

We could be looking at the biggest roller coaster of basketball hisotry. High of highs and low of lows. Riding high first half and "possibly" could be lowest of low the secodn half of season.

Although the most cliche thing I can say, time for the players to Cowboy Up. They will need it.
On the other hand, if they handle this right - it's something that could make them REALLY gel as a group and play better than ever. That which doesn't kill you...

Oh, I totally agree. I am just hoping Coach S and the staff rally the guys and we make a magical run. Just want to manage my expectations.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Cooke gets to make the trip, time to start scoring and help with the load even more!!!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I would say Sobey has strike 1 on himself, Cooke has strike 2, and Martinez has strike 3 & is out. If Sobey and Cooke can dedicate themselves to cleaning up their act like Washington did, they can have good careers and a good life after graduating from UW. If they can't, they will strike out too.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
OneMoreBeer
Buckaroo

One positive circumstance here is that they are in the middle of consecutive road games. Getting the rest of the team out of town today and on their way to Fresno, if you ask me, is a good thing. Get them away from this and focused on basketball.

As far as any team discipline against Sobey and Cooke, I trust Shyatt's judgment in this matter.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Does our football team need a new kicker? Too soon? Sorry, I know this isn't a funny matter...but the joke wrote itself once it was posted that "it was a perfect soccer kick".
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

McPeachy wrote:
Poke in Billings wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Getting into a bar fight is one thing. What he did was another. Hence the charges.
Really? You're going to put that out there, and leave everyone hanging?
Sorry. Hopefully Gags (etal) can pick it up and report it.

"An affidavit of probable cause, which will provide more information about Martinez's involvement in the Buckhorn fight, will also become public record on Tuesday."
Makes sense now?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -the-head/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd expect the story to make headlines but not to the extent of Howdy Doody Gate.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -the-head/

I'd expect the story to make headlines but not to the extent of Howdy Doody Gate.
Wyoming has been in the spotlight most of the season. There have been plenty of stories about Luke's injury. It was just a matter of time before they reported on this.

I'm going on recored saying this team won't skip a beat w/out Luke.

Howdy Doody gate was blown out of proportion IMO.

Go Pokes!!
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Poke in Billings wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Getting into a bar fight is one thing. What he did was another. Hence the charges.
Really? You're going to put that out there, and leave everyone hanging?
Sorry. Hopefully Gags (etal) can pick it up and report it.

"An affidavit of probable cause, which will provide more information about Martinez's involvement in the Buckhorn fight, will also become public record on Tuesday."
Makes sense now?
Yup, unfortunately. I definitely respect how you managed your posts.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:My opinion again...sounds like a fight that just got out of hand. I want to know what LEAD to the fight. Luke was a stupid @ss, but weird that he admitted jhe did what he did, but it wasnt until AFTER the dude who got jacked up came forward (cause of huge medical bills prob) that this is unravleing now.
This is why I don't think Luke, or any other current member of the team, is a thug. A thug wouldn't own their mistake. Luke knew he made a STUPID decision and owned up to it. It most likely cost him his college career, but he owned up, and admitted his mistake.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
djm19 wrote:My opinion again...sounds like a fight that just got out of hand. I want to know what LEAD to the fight. Luke was a stupid @ss, but weird that he admitted jhe did what he did, but it wasnt until AFTER the dude who got jacked up came forward (cause of huge medical bills prob) that this is unravleing now.
This is why I don't think Luke, or any other current member of the team, is a thug. A thug wouldn't own their mistake. Luke knew he made a STUPID decision and owned up to it. It most likely cost him his college career, but he owned up, and admitted his mistake.
It definitely sucks for Luke, his best basketball was in front of him. Now it is just kinda...gone. Done. No more.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:
While I appreciate and respect honesty, unfortunately admissions don't typically work in your favor in a court of law. There is a right to remain silent and a right to counsel. It does not sound like he invoked these rights while he was being questioned. What is being reported sounds like his story may have changed a few times. But I am just speculating.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Where's LawPoke at these days? I'd appreciate his take on all of this.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote:Where's LawPoke at these days? I'd appreciate his take on all of this.
I'd venture to guess that LawPoke's primary area of practice is not criminal defense considering his recent post that is a bit critical of Luke Martinez.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I posted a separate thread - not so much legalese, but a general sense of anger mixed with solidarity with the remaining team.

Luke could have kept silent - it was his right - but given the fact that it was a bar and that 15 seconds had passed for the bar moths to start circling the flame of an unconscious dude, there were probably several witnesses that would have been able to finger ol' Lukey boy. I haven't read the police report, but would guess that Luke saw the writing on the wall that he shouldn't make things worse for himself by fleeing and impeding the investigation in any way.

In general, though, and I am not just pimping for the profession, you should always remain silent and ask for a lawyer. Luke should have - even though they likely had him dead to rights - but I imagine he was not fully with it (either drunk or bewildered given what had happened) and was also worried about how the pressies might have treated him...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LawPoke wrote:I imagine he was not fully with it (either drunk or bewildered given what had happened) and was also worried about how the pressies might have treated him...
Or...he is an arrogant ass, who thinks he is Steven Seagal. Right?

Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

That too, apparently. After reading the affidavit.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

The witnesses are EMPLOYEES of the Buckhorn and will likely be considered neutral witnesses, not good for Martinez.