2012/2013 recruiting thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
macclesfieldfan1990
Buckaroo

I'm still convinced there is more FBS talent in the state outside of Ryan Anaya. Was anyone else signed from the state this year? (If it was posted and I missed it, I am sorry)
Image Image Image
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

macclesfieldfan1990 wrote:I'm still convinced there is more FBS talent in the state outside of Ryan Anaya. Was anyone else signed from the state this year? (If it was posted and I missed it, I am sorry)
I am pretty sure that there were no other FBS recruits from Wyoming. As always, numerous D2 and NAIA recruits (Chadron State, Black Hills State, etc..)
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 149 times

Was tanner Simpson the kid from lander ? And was that this year or last? It sounded like he was pretty athletic.
W-Y, Until I Die!
jarhead
Ranch Hand

I would say that the one positive about a JC transfer is theoretically they should come in and be ready to contribute. I think with the debacle on the defensive side of the ball last year the coaching staff decided to try and provide some fixes right away. The down side of that is that issue is that you only have them for two years.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Hopefully the JC transfers that are coming in are better than the JC QBs we've gotten.
ImageImageImageImage
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

jarhead wrote:I would say that the one positive about a JC transfer is theoretically they should come in and be ready to contribute. I think with the debacle on the defensive side of the ball last year the coaching staff decided to try and provide some fixes right away. The down side of that is that issue is that you only have them for two years.
Unless he grew significantly in two years, he was in no way a Dl player when My Kemmerer Boys played against him and Lander. He was good, but not the type to be playing Dl, Top level maybe Dll or Dlll.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

laxwyo wrote:Was tanner Simpson the kid from lander ? And was that this year or last? It sounded like he was pretty athletic.
Tanner is a preferred walk-on. He had a great year and has tested out this winter with the best of them. He ran a 4.4 40 which panned out to be the third or fourth fastest time among the receiving corps. His numbers are increasing every day. He has great hands and his routes are improving. He is a hard working kid who should earn a spot either this year or next barring any major injuries. He was offered by Carroll College (Vandiest) but chose to stay in Wyoming and try to play for the Cowboys. I am always pulling for our Wyoming kids.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

kansasCowboy wrote:
jarhead wrote:I would say that the one positive about a JC transfer is theoretically they should come in and be ready to contribute. I think with the debacle on the defensive side of the ball last year the coaching staff decided to try and provide some fixes right away. The down side of that is that issue is that you only have them for two years.
Unless he grew significantly in two years, he was in no way a Dl player when My Kemmerer Boys played against him and Lander. He was good, but not the type to be playing Dl, Top level maybe Dll or Dlll.
He has grown... his numbers aren't bad....... power clean 260, vert of 39, has met the mountain west standard in the 5-10-5, the standing long jump (which would have placed him in the top ten in last years combine), and the 40. He is 185lbs now and considerably faster than he was in high school. All this in his red-shirt year, which is only half over.
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

jarhead wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
He has grown... his numbers aren't bad....... power clean 260, vert of 39, has met the mountain west standard in the 5-10-5, the standing long jump (which would have placed him in the top ten in last years combine), and the 40. He is 185lbs now and considerably faster than he was in high school. All this in his red-shirt year, which is only half over.

What are the MWC Standards in these measurables?
jarhead
Ranch Hand

SLCPoke wrote:
jarhead wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

What are the MWC Standards in these measurables?
He ran a 4.4 40, not sure what the standard in the 5-10-5 is. His standing long jump was 10'8" I believe. I can get a more definitive answer after I talk with him tonight.......
jarhead
Ranch Hand

He has been moved into the slot behind Rob Heron and Justin Berger at this point (1st day of Spring ball) He is probably an injury or two away from making the 2 spot on the depth chart. However he is penciled in on all special teams.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 149 times

Too bad there wasn't a measurable for wrapping up and tackling.
W-Y, Until I Die!
cgilber7
Buckaroo

Colin Gilbert from Marquette University High School, WI, has committed as a preferred walk-on and will be playing most likely Wide Receiver or maybe Defensive Back
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 110 times

cgilber7 wrote:Colin Gilbert from Marquette University High School, WI, has committed as a preferred walk-on and will be playing most likely Wide Receiver or maybe Defensive Back
I'm feeling like you could have replaced the words "Colin Gilbert" with the word "I", judging by your screen name. Thanks for letting us know you'll be on the team, man! Good luck!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

cgilber7 wrote:Colin Gilbert from Marquette University High School, WI, has committed as a preferred walk-on and will be playing most likely Wide Receiver or maybe Defensive Back
Good luck & Go Pokes!
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Good luck man!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/ba ... &mid=&rid=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

will colmery
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

Here's the Rivals page.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/edgytim/footbal ... ery-148092" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I noticed on gowyogo.com that They started offering a couple guys that only have FCS offers. Is anyone concerned by this?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

It must be Bohl's crew that are doing the recruiting. He has been in FBS before, so he probably knows what he is doing - and I am not going to second guess him.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.