[WyoNation Blog] The 3-4 Defense Is Here

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

It looks as if the 4-3 is out and the 3-4 is here. Great move!

http://www.wyonation.com/2013/04/all-ha ... 4-defense/
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Wicks wrote:It looks as if the 4-3 is out and the 3-4 is here. Great move!

http://www.wyonation.com/2013/04/all-ha ... 4-defense/
Jesus. DC battles Marty English and shoves the 4-3 down his throat, basically saying it was his way or the highway, when Marty clearly wanted to keep the 3-4 in place. Now there is this.

:willybs:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wicks
Blog Team

That is true McPeachy it was a bad move to switch away from the 3-4 in the first place. Glad DC has seen the light but is it too late?
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

It looks like we have the personnel to go with either the 3 - 4 or the 4 - 3 now. He says we are going to be more aggressive. I think it's about time.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

So DC messed up going away from the 3-4. Now he is trying to correct it. Let's get more mad at him!

Please...

I think the 3-4 will be a good move.
Here is to hoping the defense is around the 50-70th national ranking.
That just shows how bad our D has been lately...getting somewhere around 60th ranking would be a HUGE increase...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

BeaverPoke wrote:So DC messed up going away from the 3-4. Now he is trying to correct it. Let's get more mad at him!

Please...

I think the 3-4 will be a good move.
Here is to hoping the defense is around the 50-70th national ranking.
That just shows how bad our D has been lately...getting somewhere around 60th ranking would be a HUGE increase...
Mad? Seriously? More like disgusted in the fact that he took a defense (and LB coach - D Coordinator) that was configured for a 3-4 and forced the change (without having personell to do so). Knapton & Biezuns probably would be playing in the NFL right now, had they been allowed to play thier true positions (LB's).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 149 times

I think the defense was screwed when didn't have a replacement for Givens. 3-4 needs a great NT. maybe they are thinking olive is that NT. I think it's easier to get a good 4th LB than it is to get a 4th DL so the 3-4 makes more sense. With one less DL, I think it's easier to build depth and sub out. Maybe they won't be so tired.
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote:I think the defense was screwed when didn't have a replacement for Givens. 3-4 needs a great NT. maybe they are thinking olive is that NT. I think it's easier to get a good 4th LB than it is to get a 4th DL so the 3-4 makes more sense. With one less DL, I think it's easier to build depth and sub out. Maybe they won't be so tired.
Olive may not be 6'4 340lbs, but he is incredibly strong (strongest on the team). And brute strength is what is needed for a NT.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

What's needed for an NT is someone to eat up the G and C on any play.. until that happens the LBs will be ineffective.
ImageImageImageImage
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote:What's needed for an NT is someone to eat up the G and C on any play.. until that happens the LBs will be ineffective.
Like I said, brute strength is the key. Olive has that in abundance. He (or whoever we have starting at NT) has to force the C and at least 1 G to focus on him. If he can just blow through one blocker with ease, o-linemen will be forced to double team on him. Thereby eating up 2 blockers. If we can have at least 1 consistent pass rusher on the edge, when we blitz, we should get some good pressure up front. But it does come down to how strong our NT is.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:What's needed for an NT is someone to eat up the G and C on any play.. until that happens the LBs will be ineffective.
Like I said, brute strength is the key. Olive has that in abundance. He (or whoever we have starting at NT) has to force the C and at least 1 G to focus on him. If he can just blow through one blocker with ease, o-linemen will be forced to double team on him. Thereby eating up 2 blockers. If we can have at least 1 consistent pass rusher on the edge, when we blitz, we should get some good pressure up front. But it does come down to how strong our NT is.
So Olive busts through the Nebraska O-line on the first pass play, causes a fumble and recovery for a Wyo TD, then the rest of the game they have to double him up and from there our linebackers can do something besides get burned?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
So Olive busts through the Nebraska O-line on the first pass play, causes a fumble and recovery for a Wyo TD, then the rest of the game they have to double him up and from there our linebackers can do something besides get burned?
Maybe not quite that much, but it's the right idea.