New Poke

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

Adam Dixon CB JC transfer. He has 2 years to play 2. He will be in Laramie on Monday
http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1312569.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SLCPoke
Cowpoke

Signed with an FCS team pre-injury......looking for depth on this one I suppose
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Secondary can always use more depth. Hope he enjoys it here!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

A little odd seeing as we just signed a JUCO CB to a late scholarship.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

OK, let me get this straight. DC yanks a scholly he'd promised to Josh Smith who was a great kid who walked on toughed it out, bled brown and gold, made good grades, and did everything asked of him. Josh leaves with class, and joined one of the best FCS programs in the east.

DC saves this scholly for a guy who couldn't make grades, left his first JC program, got recruited by a mid level FCS team after his second year of JC, sat out with an injury was not asked back to that team and had no takers until just before the season started. He has 2 to play 2.

THATS the way you build a team...(if you are trying to get the hell out in a year)

Yeah, if I'm a walk on, I'm pumped.... :tickedoff:
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

We're a little thin at db. .
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Yeah, if I'm a walk on, I'm pumped.
Players lose scholarships. It happens for every team in NCAA. We clearly have more depth at WR than DB, so why would we keep a scholarship for a player that won't see the field? I get that you don't care for DC, and there are reasons to be critical. I just see more fault with losing games than with pulling a scholarship of an unproductive player.

Seems that DC rewards walk-ons that make an impact (Justin Berger, Brandon Miller, & Stuart Williams), I highly doubt that decision to give a scholarship to a JUCO CB is a deterrent to a walk-on.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

I get that the way this was handled wont stop kids from walking on. You are right about that.
BUt wrong about using this to build depth.
You don't build depth by bringing in a kid who wasn't productive at JC or FCS level for three years and had no other D1 offers. He has two years left to play. He hasn't had a playbook for a month. Season starts in a few weeks.
If this kid is second on the depth chart-we have no depth. If he is third on the depth chart-we have walk-ons.
You build depth and a future in a program in exactly the opposite manner. Put them through your program in 4 years.

You are also incorrect in characterizing my criticism as stemming from a "dislike' of DC-I dont even know the man. As you say, there are reasons to be critical.
I take issue with his leadership. I think he is running this program into the ground. I think this scholly offer stinks of desperation and is indicative of an inability of our program to effectively recruit this year. Even in our backyard. Undoubtably, some of that is due to DC's leadership.
I hope the Pokes win more than they lose and get to a bowl this year.
Clearly we need help on the OL and on D (especially in the secondary) if we are going to turn the corner. Clearly, we are more dependent on JC pickups there than we'd like to be. JC kids that weren't initially picked up by schools...sometimes you get a diamond out of that rockpile, but usually you just get rocks to plug holes.
I'm worried that the gap between the talent level of our team and the Texas States and Northern Colorados on our schedule is not as wide as we might hope- and it just got narrower.

Again, this isn't a personal attack on DC. Only one coach in D-1 that has coached 4 years has a worse W/L than DC. He is paid $375K to DC's 1.2 Mil-AND he is expected to be fired this year. DC is locked in for the next few years, but in my opinion there isnt much evidence that he is building a program to last... I just see leadership issues with the team-(and the AD :deadhorse1: :D -but thats another thread).
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

+1
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

zappinpoke wrote:Adam Dixon CB JC transfer. He has 2 years to play 2. He will be in Laramie on Monday
http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1312569.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Along with Tyran Finley as well?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

This guy too. He is currently listed at 6'5" 220lbs. Only one year of eligibility remaining.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/colorado/footba ... rden-66914" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:
zappinpoke wrote:Adam Dixon CB JC transfer. He has 2 years to play 2. He will be in Laramie on Monday
Yes. I know with Finley that they plan on using him as a returner also, could be the same with Dixon as well
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

zappinpoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:
Yes. I know with Finley that they plan on using him as a returner also, could be the same with Dixon as well
Interesting. Is this screaming to be a "win-now" kind of year for the Tom & Dave show?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I definitely think this is a win now situation. At least to a bowl. I think this season and next season will both be "win now or your fired" years for DC.
Even if they are both 6-6 season, I think he is safe. I fully expect about 8-10 wins this season. And probably the same next year.

I mean, how could he not be in a "win or get fired" situation? DC is an offensive mastermind with Brett Smith @ QB.
These next two years he definitely needs to have some success. He has quite a few chances this season and next year to get some big W's to get the program going good again. Nebraska, Boise State (2x), USU (2x), SJSU, Michigan State, Oregon. Not to mention, he has many chances to beat up on weaker teams to pile up the wins like CSU (2x), AFA (2x), NM (2x), UNLV.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Again, this isn't a personal attack on DC. Only one coach in D-1 that has coached 4 years has a worse W/L than DC. He is paid $375K to DC's 1.2 Mil-AND he is expected to be fired this year. DC is locked in for the next few years, but in my opinion there isnt much evidence that he is building a program to last... I just see leadership issues with the team-(and the AD :deadhorse1: :D -but thats another thread).
I hear you on the AD, clearly a weak point in leadership. I just see some of these JUCO recruits as a win now strategy. I hold out hope that we can challenge for a MW championship in the next two years (much like 2011). I'm ok if our program mortgages the future if it gets results. Results to me would be over 8 wins, a bowl win, and ideally playing in a conference championship.

I apologize for assuming you disliked DC.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Actually, I do not think we are risking the future with the JUCO recruits for a win now strategy. I think that the JUCO recruits will definately help in a win now situation, but I think with all of the redshirts and where the program is, it does not hurt us for the future. We will still have about 16 redshirts from this last years class so I don't see us risking anything. I just think that the JUCO recruits will help better for this season and next year.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Well Marcus and Yank I certainly hope you are right. I'd love to see us return to glory. Sixteen shirts is not terrible, but not great. If one of our JC's goes down on the OL, our backup will be a Freshman or Soph...

Still, heres hoping