Taylor Martinez vs. Brett Smith

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
knapplc
Buckaroo

kdwrightuwyo wrote:We may have guys (Beaver) on our board who are saying Brett is second only to Johnny Football. But you guys have guys on our boards saying Martinez is the best. Head to head an challenge, Brett smokes Martinez.
You should spend more time on Husker football boards. We have as many guys trashing Martinez there as you do here. :D

But when you say "head to head" Brett Smith smokes Taylor Martinez, what way do you mean? Because you have to take offensive style into account when you're making that statement. Smith couldn't run our offense because he's not a home-run threat on the ground. No defense would take him as a serious threat in the Zone Read, so our RB would get blown up every time. Smith is no more suited for Nebraska's offense than Martinez is for Wyoming's.

Put Martinez on your roster and he's what? Third or fourth string at QB? There's no way he'd even be a QB on your roster - he'd be a safety or a WR. He simply can't pass well enough to run Wyoming's offense. Smith is light-years ahead of Martinez in that regard.

But in each guy's offense, with the pieces around them they need, they're both pretty darned good.
scotchfrost97
Buckaroo

This is great stuff. Can't wait for saturday
YankPoke
Cowpoke

knapplc wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:We may have guys (Beaver) on our board who are saying Brett is second only to Johnny Football. But you guys have guys on our boards saying Martinez is the best. Head to head an challenge, Brett smokes Martinez.
You should spend more time on Husker football boards. We have as many guys trashing Martinez there as you do here. :D

But when you say "head to head" Brett Smith smokes Taylor Martinez, what way do you mean? Because you have to take offensive style into account when you're making that statement. Smith couldn't run our offense because he's not a home-run threat on the ground. No defense would take him as a serious threat in the Zone Read, so our RB would get blown up every time. Smith is no more suited for Nebraska's offense than Martinez is for Wyoming's.

Put Martinez on your roster and he's what? Third or fourth string at QB? There's no way he'd even be a QB on your roster - he'd be a safety or a WR. He simply can't pass well enough to run Wyoming's offense. Smith is light-years ahead of Martinez in that regard.

But in each guy's offense, with the pieces around them they need, they're both pretty darned good.
I think this is where this argument can be put to rest. As a traditional quarterback Brett is light-years ahead of Martinez and he has a future as an NFL prospect while Martinez does not. However, Martinez is a perfect quarterback for the Husker system and he runs it well, same thing with Brett he is very good for the Wyo system and runs that very well. I think that most of the Wyoming fans, including myself, are mainly comparing them as traditional quarterbacks, and that is where Brett wins. However, I think we can all agree that they are both very productive quarterbacks for their respective teams and systems.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

The hell are you talking about kdwrightuwyo?? I never said Brett is only 2nd to Johnny football.
Just because someone says overly optimistic stuff don't just assume it's me.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

knapplc wrote:

Actually he is. I cannot remeber the opponent but my heart says Boise, Brett out ran corners and safeties for a long touchdown run. Pulled away from them in a stride for stride race to the endzone...
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:The hell are you talking about kdwrightuwyo?? I never said Brett is only 2nd to Johnny football.
Wipe the sand out of your kitty and stop being so damn sensitive to everything. Ok, you didn't say that particular thing, but you have been the most "overly optimistic" Poke fan out there.
T-Magic3
Buckaroo

kdwrightuwyo wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:The hell are you talking about kdwrightuwyo?? I never said Brett is only 2nd to Johnny football.
Wipe the sand out of your kitty and stop being so damn sensitive to everything. Ok, you didn't say that particular thing, but you have been the most "overly optimistic" Poke fan out there.
You aren't a true poke fan. How dare you say Brett Smith isn't god.

Does anyone know why Chip Kelly recruited Marcus Marriota (SP?) over someone like Brett Smith?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

T-Magic3 wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:

Does anyone know why Chip Kelly recruited Marcus Marriota (SP?) over someone like Brett Smith?
Because they underestimated how good Brett is and didn't really recruit him because "his throwing mechanics were unusual". They are different from the norm, but they have proven to be quite effective, regardless.

His younger brother, who has the same style as Brett, is getting a LOT of attention from PAC schools right now. The PAC schools made that mistake once, but now they'll be looking into the younger one. Oregon has also been doing a lot of recruiting in places like Texas, so, they have more access to higher rated recruits and have done pretty well. The other North West schools though, looks like they've been kicking themselves over letting Brett get away.
trouble
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote:
T-Magic3 wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:

Because they underestimated how good Brett is and didn't really recruit him because "his throwing mechanics were unusual". They are different from the norm, but they have proven to be quite effective, regardless.

His younger brother, who has the same style as Brett, is getting a LOT of attention from PAC schools right now. The PAC schools made that mistake once, but now they'll be looking into the younger one. Oregon has also been doing a lot of recruiting in places like Texas, so, they have more access to higher rated recruits and have done pretty well. The other North West schools though, looks like they've been kicking themselves over letting Brett get away.
I love this.

Brett's mechanics arent normal but they are effective.

62% completion rate

TM mechanics are the worth ever, and will never be effective.

62% Completion rate.

Oh the irony.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

trouble wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
T-Magic3 wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:

I love this.

62% completion rate

62% Completion rate.

Oh the irony.
Brett Smith
Attempts per game-33 Rating-157.57 YDs per game-283.2

Taylor Martinez
Attempts per game-26.3 Rating-141.61 YDs per game-205.1

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/463 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I understand this thread compares Brett Smith and Taylor Martinez. I don't understand why every thread has turned into that argument. Our defense does not need to stop Taylor Martinez as much as our defense needs to stop the running back ground game and in particular the toss sweep. I've seen nothing over the past few years to indicate our defense can stop a good ground attack. I am hoping the move back to the 3-4 will bring back the Wyoming toughness on defense. However, we have no solid evidence to conclude our defense has improved and at this point it is just hope.

Finally, this stupid debate is akin to last years Broncos debate of who is better Tim Tebow or Peyton Manning. Anyone that has watched both teams understands Taylor Martinez has a skill set that works fairly well in one specific offense but that does not translate to other offenses and NFL offenses in particular. Both Smith and Martinez will have NFL shots; however, only one of them will be at the QB position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Oh and I hope Nebraska has a lot of film on Craig Smith.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/f ... c61ca.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trouble
Buckaroo

fromolwyoming wrote:
trouble wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
T-Magic3 wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:

I love this.

62% completion rate

62% Completion rate.

Oh the irony.
Brett Smith
Attempts per game-33 Rating-157.57 YDs per game-283.2

Taylor Martinez
Attempts per game-26.3 Rating-141.61 YDs per game-205.1

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/463 ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Id argue that Martinez is just as effective as Smith. The big difference being....Martinez actually has other weapons. He doesnt need to pass 33 or 40 times a game to win a game.

Im not going to try argue that Martinez is a better true QB than Smith(Because he is not) as I have gone over that subject in another post, but to say that Martinez is not as effective as Smith is asinine.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

I wish I could upload a picture because I snapped a picture of a chart ESPN just put up. It showed the nations top QBs in first half QBR (quarterback rating). Brett Smith was number 4. Didn't see Martinez on it anywhere though. ;-)
Blackshirts13
Buckaroo

jarhead wrote:I wish I could upload a picture because I snapped a picture of a chart ESPN just put up. It showed the nations top QBs in first half QBR (quarterback rating). Brett Smith was number 4. Didn't see Martinez on it anywhere though. ;-)
Did they have SOS next to the numbers? Brett Smith sure looks good against mighty New Mexico ..... :rofl:
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Blackshirts13 wrote:
jarhead wrote:I wish I could upload a picture because I snapped a picture of a chart ESPN just put up. It showed the nations top QBs in first half QBR (quarterback rating). Brett Smith was number 4. Didn't see Martinez on it anywhere though. ;-)
Did they have SOS next to the numbers? Brett Smith sure looks good against mighty New Mexico ..... :rofl:
Thats funny because TM looked like a junior high QB at a girls school against high flying Iowa last year.... :coffee:
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Blackshirts13 wrote:
...or mighty Purdue.
ImageImageImageImage
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

T-Magic3 wrote:
kdwrightuwyo wrote:

Because he f-word up? Kelly himself said he regrets not offering Brett Smith. So does anyone know why a player who turns the ball over more than once a game is considered a good QB?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Blackshirts13
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Blackshirts13 wrote:
Thats funny because TM looked like a junior high QB at a girls school against high flying Iowa last year.... :coffee:

Oh yeah..the day when it was 10 degrees and 30 MPH wind? Yeahhh, perfect playing conditions.
Last edited by Blackshirts13 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackshirts13
Buckaroo

MrTitleist wrote:
Blackshirts13 wrote:
...or mighty Purdue.

You sure Tmart has played Purdue? Doesn't matter...when get compare SOS numbers if you would like? How many legit teams has Smith faced the past two years? Name them.