From a Mizzou fan living in Omaha

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

I have a friend that is Mizzou fan who now lives in Omaha and I got this from him today:
You both know that I loathe the Huskers as well...especially living here and having it shoved down your throat. With that said, I'll give you some insight to the local radio talk shows here.

They were talking yesterday on my drive home about the upcoming Husker games. They were talking quite a bit about the UCLA game, which lead me to believe that was their first game. Then a caller called in and asked about the TWO games that precede it and why they weren't mentioning those games. The DJs both just laughed and said, Really? You want to know our thoughts about the two pre-season games the Huskers are playing? Okay. Here goes. Both games will be over in the first quarter. The Cowboys have a "HORRIBLE" defense and the score will very likely be 35-0 by half time...if not higher. Then they went on to say something about Southern Miss. as well, but I only half listen to those clowns anyway.

Either way, I thought of you when they were talking about your boys...so I'm glad you sent this because I wanted to let ya know what the local yocals are saying.
knapplc
Buckaroo

I doubt the score is 35-0 at halftime, but I could easily see 35-10 or 28-7 Nebraska. I don't see why that's so unbelievable.

I'll agree that a lot of the Omaha radio guys are clowns, though. We haven't got great local radio guys. Print media, however, we have great writers in abundance.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Absolutely zero respect.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
knapplc
Buckaroo

BeaverPoke wrote:Absolutely zero respect.
100% not true. Any Poke fans coming to Lincoln will be treated with great respect. We have no reason not to like you guys (even with your siliness, BP).
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

COS Cowboy wrote:I have a friend that is Mizzou fan who now lives in Omaha and I got this from him today:
You both know that I loathe the Huskers as well...especially living here and having it shoved down your throat. With that said, I'll give you some insight to the local radio talk shows here.

They were talking yesterday on my drive home about the upcoming Husker games. They were talking quite a bit about the UCLA game, which lead me to believe that was their first game. Then a caller called in and asked about the TWO games that precede it and why they weren't mentioning those games. The DJs both just laughed and said, Really? You want to know our thoughts about the two pre-season games the Huskers are playing? Okay. Here goes. Both games will be over in the first quarter. The Cowboys have a "HORRIBLE" defense and the score will very likely be 35-0 by half time...if not higher. Then they went on to say something about Southern Miss. as well, but I only half listen to those clowns anyway.

Either way, I thought of you when they were talking about your boys...so I'm glad you sent this because I wanted to let ya know what the local yocals are saying.
Must be some good comedy in Nebraska.....that and corn. ;)

This is the box score from the game two years ago....when Brett was a true freshman. Two years later and I think the offense will put up better numbers. It took two 4th quarter TD's for the Huskers to get some separation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo ... 927aaa.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We might be huge underdogs, but I like our chances.

Go Pokes!!
knapplc
Buckaroo

Jimmy, that was also four games into a new offense for Nebraska. We've been running it for two years now, and I'd expect to have quite a bit easier time scoring this year than in 2011.
NiobraraRiver
Buckaroo

JimmyDimes wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:I have a friend that is Mizzou fan who now lives in Omaha and I got this from him today:

This is the box score from the game two years ago....when Brett was a true freshman. Two years later and I think the offense will put up better numbers. It took two 4th quarter TD's for the Huskers to get some separation.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo ... 927aaa.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go Pokes!!

This post illustrates the absurdity of the Wyonation fan board this week. Brett Smith and the Wyoming offense vs. Nebraskas defense will have virtually no bearing on the outcome of this game. Any potential chance for an upset or even a competitive game will rest with Wyoming's defense vs a probable top 10 National offense.

Vegas set the line high because they don't see how Wyoming can stop the Nebraska offense.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I know, it's absurd to think our team has a chance to win on our own forum. I should rename this HuskerNation.com.
ImageImageImageImage
Landlordos7
Buckaroo

MrTitleist wrote:I know, it's absurd to think our team has a chance to win on our own forum. I should rename this HuskerNation.com.

Pretty sure that url is already taken :lol:

I personally love seeing your guys' passion for your team - when you're smaller you know who the true fans are a lot easier. Big schools have so many people latch on without a clue as to anything related to the team - kind of like politics, I suppose.

The only thing I find absurd is that it's somehow disrespectful for us to think that we're going to win this game easily. It's not a guarantee, of course, but it's likely. At least in the opinion of Vegas, who doesn't have a dog in the fight other than money.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

NiobraraRiver wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

Go Pokes!!

This post illustrates the absurdity of the Wyonation fan board this week. Brett Smith and the Wyoming offense vs. Nebraskas defense will have virtually no bearing on the outcome of this game. Any potential chance for an upset or even a competitive game will rest with Wyoming's defense vs a probable top 10 National offense.

Vegas set the line high because they don't see how Wyoming can stop the Nebraska offense.
No, the absurdity is in the form of a bunch of corn heads who have invaded our message board. You guys need to get a life, a clue, and most importantly, a sense of humor.

Go POkes!!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Landlordos7 wrote:
MrTitleist wrote:I know, it's absurd to think our team has a chance to win on our own forum. I should rename this HuskerNation.com.

I personally love seeing your guys' passion for your team - when you're smaller you know who the true fans are a lot easier. Big schools have so many people latch on without a clue as to anything related to the team - kind of like politics, I suppose.

The only thing I find absurd is that it's somehow disrespectful for us to think that we're going to win this game easily. It's not a guarantee, of course, but it's likely. At least in the opinion of Vegas, who doesn't have a dog in the fight other than money.
Gah! Damnit!
ImageImageImageImage
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

if there was a year for us to play you tough and give you a fight, it's this year compared to most, and we will be able to move the ball on you, maybe not all the time but we will get ours too, especially early, after the adjustments then we'll see where we go from there. It'll be closer than most of you guys aren't giving us any credit for. Watch and see I know we won't win, but man oh man, cya in Lincoln!!!...."remember W E W O N T W I N....
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:
Landlordos7 wrote:

Gah! Damnit!
die hard since 1985(age 15)...dont' question our fandom and passion it's there, hate when it gets questioned by a big boy school. No bandwagon here
The Virginian
Cowpoke

If the gods of football had any sense of humor at all they'd help the Pokes win this one so that we could all enjoy the meltdown at Husker Nation.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

The Virginian wrote:If the gods of football had any sense of humor at all they'd help the Pokes win this one so that we could all enjoy the meltdown at Husker Nation.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Wyonation, we can't win the game nor can we take the liberties to show our passion for our team, think we can win, then why should we even make the trek over there. It's like if they don't beat the Little guys 77-0 then it wasn't worth coming out to them. Why should we continue to argue any points with them at all. i've been on chat rooms with many teams we've played in the past, Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma St, not even BYU was this rabid, hell CSU fans give us garbage for things but we have fun with it....the red colored glasses that have come in here make us feel like we have to justify why we even have a football team...poop, just because we have not won a National Championship or 2 or 3, we aren't supposed to have passion a fire for our team, I have never had this much desire to hope that we come out and show what we're made of and just "kinda" get a bit of respect. I guess when you eat breathe sleep jack off to the Almighty it's like you're brainwashed with all this. We know WHO YOU ARE, what you are all about, stop telling us all that, WE KNOW. Know that we won't go down fighting no matter how many points you put up, no matter how many times we're sacked, how many TO's we have, we have pride too. I bleed Brown and Gold just as much as you Bleed Big Red. Stop questioning me and my fellow fans on that. Arguments, stats work for the past and we know what happened over those seasons, this is the 1st game of THIS YEAR, we have to come play you at the Taj Mahal, and I'll be the judge of that after my visit. I just hope some of the people I sit around are cordial, fun to talk to and know that I'm there to have a good time, have a bit of passion if something good happens. etc...etc....
Wyonation is home to many true Wyoming fans that love their Pokes, it's too bad it turned into Husker Nation West, compared to other perennial doormats you have played in season openners and throttled, know this WE ARE WYOMING, we will give you our best, fight to the very end and in the end know you were a more dominant football team on all aspects. But remember if the stars align, Nebraska makes mistakes(na that cant' happen), we get the breaks and it ends up in a miracle win for us, we'll be just as happy and elated as you when if you beat Ohio St for the Big Ten title. I guess when you've beat up on little fellas for so many years you forget about the feelings, and passion of the little guy, nor do you care.
In the grand scheme of things it's only week 1, you'll be in the BCS runnings from here on out, you'll get your wins your boasts will be heard, but remember football is about passion, desire and the will to win, try not to question we don't want any of those things either. I'm done for now, thanks for letting me come visit Lincoln this weekend(even at face value, luckily) with my Mom and Dad. I hope those I meet make me feel somewhat welcome, it's kinda like our border war let us enjoy our time, passion with this game, just like you will....GO POKES
Landlordos7
Buckaroo

stymeman, I really think you misunderstand. I love the fact that you guys are so in love with your team. If you didn't show passion or think you could win as fans, I wouldn't be over here, and neither would any other Husker fans. Most of us are just here to enjoy talking football and receive insight on your end and give it from ours if it's wanted (there are exceptions).

Personally, I think you're arguing a caricature. I've been complimentary or silent about your team, until such a time when you guys will make audacious claims about my program such as how Martinez is factually a terrible quarterback, or Bo Pelini is a redneck droopy-looking f-word. Where's the hostility really coming from? I'm not saying or believing anything like that about you guys, and not many others are either. I'll defend the team I support against direct criticism that I think is untrue and unfair. Otherwise, I just want to talk football.

I asked this earlier but didn't get a response - what does wyoming's rushing attack and pass defense look like?
Last edited by Landlordos7 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

you are right, but when it's rehashed over and and over and over, it gets old fast thats my take
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Landlordos7 wrote:I asked this earlier but didn't get a response - what does wyoming's rushing attack and pass defense look like?
Pass defense is the strength of our defense, but that isn't saying much. I'd put our starting secondary up against anyone and feel pretty good about it. However, the problem with our pass defense is our lack of pressure on the opposing QB. We're hoping that the change to the 3-4 base this season will help with that, but no one will know for sure until the games get played.

Our rushing attack is a big question mark. Our O line has been nothing short of pathetic the past few years. We've got some big boys starting this season that took a redshirt last year, but we don't know how they'll operate together yet. We've got some talent at running back, but we need them to do more so Brett Smith doesn't have to. Our biggest emphasis on the running game this year has to be making sure that a running back or committee of running backs get the job done on the ground so our best player doesn't get so beat up.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Landlordos7 wrote:

Vegas does not make money on predicting the winning margins of games. They set the lines to get people to bet on the games.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.