Question for Husker Faithful

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I'll be in Lincoln Friday and am looking for suggestions for dinner, nightlife, bar scene etc. for Friday night

As for game day, where can I get lunch and watch football? Where can I go and drink beer before the game? Tailgating? Any game day suggestions?

Thanks!
HuskerInCO
Buckaroo

The Sidetrack bar is the obligatory Friday night pre-game spot. Once you go you'll see why. Wear your team colors (seriously -- you'll likely get many rounds bought for you). Know the Wyoming fight song -- you might get asked to sing it while the band plays it.
That's after you eat dinner at Misty's (the Havelock location) and order the prime rib. Doing those two things are basically the quintessential Husker game experience.

For game day, I don't plan to go any place specifically, I just wander around the Haymarket (downtowny bar / restaurant area) and pop in somewhere at random to eat / drink.
knapplc
Buckaroo

The Track isn't the bar you want to direct them to. The Sidetrack Band hasn't played there for two years - not since the fire.

The Sidetrack Band plays at Single Barrel now (10th & P), so that's where you want to send people looking for that experience.

The Haymarket is a good place to go. Too bad Wyoming fans won't get to see it in it's "done" condition - they won't finish the Railyard addition for a couple more months. Only one restaurant is open in the new Haymarket, but the old Haymarket from 7th & P to 9th & Q is open.

Sweep Left is open again after a hiatus. Not sure what kind of bar that is today, but back in the day it was one of the best. That's under the bridge at 9th & O.

For tailgating for Wyoming Fan, you have to search around a bit because our tailgating isn't all in one place. The best place is probably under the 9th/10th street overpasses one block west of the stadium.

HuskerInCO is correct about wearing your school colors. Please do so, and don't be afraid this is a trick. You'll be treated well and offered plenty of barley sodas. 100% serious about that.
trouble
Buckaroo

There is quite a few different places. Yia Yias pizza is delicious and has probably the best beer selection in the area(If craft beer is your thing). Empyrean Brewing Co/Lazlos is right down there as well, it was Lincolns original brew pub(Pretty decent food as well). Mistys makes a great prime rib and they serve Modern Monks beer(Which can be phenomenal.)

No matter where you go, wear your school colors, be courteous and have a good time. Nebraska fans are some of the nicest fans you will ever personally meet, but if you are obnoxious and out of line, somebody will let you know. :thumb:
SandBarHusker
Buckaroo

Depending on when you get in......stop by our place west of the airport at exit 395. It is North about two miles and called Huskerville. Identify yourself so I know you are and I'll buy you a drink. Friday night we have a rally neat Hillbilly Rock band that is alot of fun. Saturday we are open starting at 11:00 with a golden oldies rock band starting at 3:00. Ask for Dave
knapplc
Buckaroo

That's the bar on the west side of NW 48th?
Landlordos7
Buckaroo

SandBarHusker wrote:Depending on when you get in......stop by our place west of the airport at exit 395. It is North about two miles and called Huskerville. Identify yourself so I know you are and I'll buy you a drink. Friday night we have a rally neat Hillbilly Rock band that is alot of fun. Saturday we are open starting at 11:00 with a golden oldies rock band starting at 3:00. Ask for Dave

Stay away from this guy he's trouble :lol: (just kidding he'll treat you right)
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I was told that there is a tailgate at/near the Embassy Suites. What can you tell me about that?
knapplc
Buckaroo

LawPoke wrote:I was told that there is a tailgate at/near the Embassy Suites. What can you tell me about that?
That's "The Dock." They have a cover to get in (have no idea what that cost is) and it's supposed to be pretty fun. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they had a bad time there. It's on the SE corner of 10th & Q Street, about 500 feet south of the stadium.

If you're going to the Haymarket area, (which is pretty close to the Embassy Suites) you should try to get down there pretty early, like 10-11am, because there aren't that many parking structures there. Parking in Lincoln is terrible anyway and it's obviously tons worse on game days.

I'll check back to this thread if you need tips on parking.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

thanx for these heads up, I won't get in until Saturday, but we'll be wandering around as well, myself and my parents on a once in a lifetime event, see a few Pokes fans at the Embassy Suites, but I gotta find a Valentino's (as usual, as I lived in Omaha for a short time and heard Lincoln's is way better)...GO POKES....oh yeah staying up North, Taxi's do run city wide right(hopefully)
knapplc
Buckaroo

Not only do the taxis run city-wide, a recent law change forced out the monopoly we had in Lincoln and now there are several cab companies competing for your fare. Cheaper rates, better service.

There are also shuttle buses leaving from remote parking sites all over town. Up north there's a shuttle stop at 27th & Superior, near a lot of hotels. You may want to check that out as another option.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Thanks knapp...

My wife is from Lincoln - went to and graduated from Pius - but never really tailgated or anything, so we are flying blind.

No matter the score, I look forward to having a great time.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

knapplc wrote:Not only do the taxis run city-wide, a recent law change forced out the monopoly we had in Lincoln and now there are several cab companies competing for your fare. Cheaper rates, better service.

There are also shuttle buses leaving from remote parking sites all over town. Up north there's a shuttle stop at 27th & Superior, near a lot of hotels. You may want to check that out as another option.
Great news as we are staying at the Country Inn and Suites near there I believe, so bang that works for me/us, thanx for the heads up
knapplc
Buckaroo

stymeman - you're about as close to a "Big Red Express" stop as you can get. If you want to try that option, here's the link. $10 for a round trip ticket, $5 for one-way. Your stop would be the last one listed, the North Star High School location, basically right across 27th Street from where you're staying, down Folkways Blvd and left on Hilltop Road.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/pworks/s ... /bigredex/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SandBarHusker
Buckaroo

knapplc wrote:That's the bar on the west side of NW 48th?
Yes it is. Used to be called Slicks. We have recently remodeled, added more big screens, KENO and great pizza. Trying to get it a great stop for games. We have "Doodly Squat" playing Friday night and "Buffalo Alice" Saturday 3-6 before the game. Anyone from Wyoming is welcome. Nebraskan's love to show our hospitality.
SandBarHusker
Buckaroo

knapplc wrote:
LawPoke wrote:I was told that there is a tailgate at/near the Embassy Suites. What can you tell me about that?
That's "The Dock." They have a cover to get in (have no idea what that cost is) and it's supposed to be pretty fun. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they had a bad time there. It's on the SE corner of 10th & Q Street, about 500 feet south of the stadium.

If you're going to the Haymarket area, (which is pretty close to the Embassy Suites) you should try to get down there pretty early, like 10-11am, because there aren't that many parking structures there. Parking in Lincoln is terrible anyway and it's obviously tons worse on game days.

I'll check back to this thread if you need tips on parking.
The dock IS alot of fun. However it will be elbow to elbow also. Cover isn't too bad and well worth it. As far as parking. Depending on where you stay I wouldn't even try to drive downtown. Parking will cost you $20 almost any place you stay. if you plan on drinking it isn't worth the risk nor the frustration trying to find spots. If you stay anywhere within 5 miles of the stadium you can get a cab for less than the $20 one way.
knapplc
Buckaroo

SandBarHusker wrote:if you plan on drinking it isn't worth the risk nor the frustration trying to find spots. If you stay anywhere within 5 miles of the stadium you can get a cab for less than the $20 one way.
That's a good point. Don't even THINK about drinking and driving on gamedays here. The police will get you, guaranteed.

The cabs are reasonable, and the shuttle bus option is always there.

Sandbar - do you know if you have to buy tickets for the shuttle bus in advance? I don't want to suggest it to visitors if you can't get a seat on one just walking up.
HuskerInCO
Buckaroo

knapplc wrote:The Track isn't the bar you want to direct them to. The Sidetrack Band hasn't played there for two years - not since the fire.

The Sidetrack Band plays at Single Barrel now (10th & P), so that's where you want to send people looking for that experience.
Ah thanks for the clarification. Moved to CO 3 years back so missed out on that news.
SandBarHusker
Buckaroo

Depending on what you want to do.....if you are a drinker and want to party a bit I have some of the answers.

1. It is night game so things won't be going as quick as normal. When I say that keep in mind that doesn't mean there won't be tailgates setting up at 7:00 in the morning. There will be. However Do the Dock at the embassy suites might not get going good until 2:00 or so. I'm not sure what time the band starts that day. I do not believe there is a cover charge.

2. Single Barrel. As mentioned earlier it is a must see as Paul and Joyce of the sideback band are an experiance by themselves. Wear your colors and smiles. Doubtful you will spend much money there if you are good natured. Know your fight song.

3, Red Nine. Big outdoor area. Usually a big band playing after the game. Not sure what their entertainment line up would be on an early game.

4. O street. Between 9th and 15th you have a choice of about 40 bars. Just make your way up and down the streets. Normally a college crowd at night for the younger, but on game day it becomes Huskerland. Stop at Duffy's for a fishbowl or Sandys for an Elk Creek Water.

5. Haymarket area. Normally a little more upscale with more resturant/bars rather than O street which is more bar. There is a new bar....with an old name and history called "Sweep Left" it is just re-opening after about 20 years so unsure what it would be like. Across from the street is a place called "jacks" that has always been a fun place for me to watch the game. Another place there is the N-Zone and they have some great wings. It is located in the basement of a building on the northern end of the haymarket area. Two steadys are Brewski's and Buzzard Billy's. Located next to each other they both have outdoor seating and are busy on game day. With teh weather predictions for Saturday they might be a little hot. They tend to be more resturants but on game day....anything goes.

6. Barrys. Another must. Has a rich tradition. Sportscenter people always talk about it as it is one fo the closest to the campus. It was renovated last year to include a really neat 2nd level deck. If you ae lucky enough to get there early and get a spot by the deck wall you will get a great look at the bustling crowd before. It includes a large basement area and a ice bar. The counter top is literally made out of Ice. With the heat they are calling for Saturday during the afternoon, this place is big enough to find room to cool down.

Tailgating. It is all over the place. All sides and directions from the stadium for a mile. If you are going to be in the downtown area....as earlier mentioned consider going to the 9th street underpass. Don't worry about taking anything as a Wyoming shirt and a smile will get you taken care of. Nebraska laws are pretty strict on open containers. When you are in private parking lots or most of the time parking areas of any type you are safe. Still always a good idea to put it in a plastic cup. Walking out onto sidewalks and such though is a no-no. Not saying you are always going to get caught but they use alot of undercover cops looking for you.

Those are some of the things I see off hand. As i mentioned earlier, it is going to be Very Hot on Saturday. Pace yourself and keep some non-alcoholic beverage in you also. I would highly recommend getting a cab to the downtown area and then repeating it for the trip home. They are not real expensive and parking is. In the long run you can relax without the worry of the drive.
SandBarHusker
Buckaroo

knapplc wrote:
SandBarHusker wrote:if you plan on drinking it isn't worth the risk nor the frustration trying to find spots. If you stay anywhere within 5 miles of the stadium you can get a cab for less than the $20 one way.
That's a good point. Don't even THINK about drinking and driving on gamedays here. The police will get you, guaranteed.

The cabs are reasonable, and the shuttle bus option is always there.

Sandbar - do you know if you have to buy tickets for the shuttle bus in advance? I don't want to suggest it to visitors if you can't get a seat on one just walking up.
I don't know anything about the shuttles. I live about 6 miles from the stadium and my cab cost runs $18. I figure it is worth it to take me straight home. Plus you can get multiple people in the cab.