Panel of Pokes: Wagons East! [Cowboy Altitude]

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

http://www.cowboyaltitude.com/2013/8/29 ... agons-east" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out our first Panel of Pokes in 2013.
ImageImageImageImage
NiobraraRiver
Buckaroo

I'm amazed how no Wyoming fan or media guy acknowledges Nebraska's biggest team weakness:

Run defense.

-Everyone suggests Wyoming will put up yards and points through the air vs. the nation's #1 pass defense from a year ago.
- Everyone suggest Wyoming's will finally be able to put a competent defense on the field and slow down one of the top offenses in the BCS conferences.

- But nobody talks about Nebraska's run defense.

Nebraska hasn't stopped the run in 2 seasons. If Wyoming wants to upset Nebraska, they will need to find a viable running game.

Its silly to think Wyoming will all of a sudden throw for 300+ yards and somehow limit the Nebraska offense. Nebraska's matchup zone was designed for defending Dave Christensen's scheme he developed at Mizzou.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

NiobraraRiver wrote:I'm amazed how no Wyoming fan or media guy acknowledges Nebraska's biggest team weakness:

Run defense.

-Everyone suggests Wyoming will put up yards and points through the air vs. the nation's #1 pass defense from a year ago.
- Everyone suggest Wyoming's will finally be able to put a competent defense on the field and slow down one of the top offenses in the BCS conferences.

Nebraska hasn't stopped the run in 2 seasons. If Wyoming wants to upset Nebraska, they will need to find a viable running game.

Its silly to think Wyoming will all of a sudden throw for 300+ yards and somehow limit the Nebraska offense. Nebraska's matchup zone was designed for defending Dave Christensen's scheme he developed at Mizzou.
Because we aren't going to beat any team running the ball. We must establish the pass to even hope to open up the run a bit. And noone suggests that our defense is good and will be able to slow down/stop Nebraska. Almost every Pokes fan acknowledges that our defense will have to force turnovers to even have a chance. I take it that your standard MO is to make up stuff?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

NiobraraRiver wrote:I'm amazed how no Wyoming fan or media guy acknowledges Nebraska's biggest team weakness:

Run defense.

I think it is at least a 75% probability Brett Throws for over 300 yards. Our running game is unproven, but we have a decent looking line this year. And, I don't think any Wyoming fan believes we'll limit the Nebraska offense. You guys should be able to run the ball.....we're just hoping to stop your attack a few times.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I'd put more money on Brett Smith throwing for over 300 than I would on Abdullah breaking off 200 rushing yards. It sickens me how RED some peoples glasses are that they just cannot fathom anyone throwing the ball against a secondary completely unproven (with the exception of Evans). Great you were the best defense in the history of sports last season, guess what you lost 11 of those starters. Its a new year. Brett Smith will break them in just fine. GO POKES
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I'd put more money on Brett Smith throwing for over 300 than I would on Abdullah breaking off 200 rushing yards. It sickens me how RED some peoples glasses are that they just cannot fathom anyone throwing the ball against a secondary completely unproven (with the exception of Evans). Great you were the best defense in the history of sports last season, guess what you lost 11 of those starters. Its a new year. Brett Smith will break them in just fine. GO POKES
Having 70 points scored against your D must sting....and kind of takes away from the fierce defense thing. Nebraska has always been known for their D and rushing attack. But 70 points?
NiobraraRiver
Buckaroo

I doubt Smith even throws for 200 yards. Smith better run for close to 100 himself, in order for Wyoming to have any chance. A Spread Passing game is not going to do anything vs. Nebraska's back 7. If you want to beat them, you need to counter the hell out of them or allow your QB to take off and run.

... And I never stated Abdullah would run for 200 yards. Nebraska will likely have 5 or 6 different runners carry the football.
Landlordos7
Buckaroo

Two quarterbacks have thrown for 300 yards against Nebraska's defense in the last three years - both were on top 10 teams in postseason play. That's 2 out of 41, I think.

Good luck :)
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

NiobraraRiver wrote:I doubt Smith even throws for 200 yards. Smith better run for close to 100 himself, in order for Wyoming to have any chance. A Spread Passing game is not going to do anything vs. Nebraska's back 7. If you want to beat them, you need to counter the hell out of them or allow your QB to take off and run.

... And I never stated Abdullah would run for 200 yards. Nebraska will likely have 5 or 6 different runners carry the football.

Hahaha Smith won't even throw for 200? f-word man get off your high horse.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
knapplc
Buckaroo

JimmyDimes wrote:I think it is at least a 75% probability Brett Throws for over 300 yards. Our running game is unproven, but we have a decent looking line this year. And, I don't think any Wyoming fan believes we'll limit the Nebraska offense. You guys should be able to run the ball.....we're just hoping to stop your attack a few times.
What do you base that on, Jimmy? Smith threw for 300 or more yards five times in his college career. None of them came against a pass defense ranked higher than 66th in the country. Against pass defenses comparable to Nebraska's he's never topped 225 yards in a game.

Why would there be such a high probability of a 300 or more yard game this time?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Landlordos7 wrote:Two quarterbacks have thrown for 300 yards against Nebraska's defense in the last three years - both were on top 10 teams in postseason play. That's 2 out of 41, I think.

Good luck :)
There are a lot of top 25 teams who have QBs without the same skill set of Brett Smith. Brett Smith with a top 25 offensive line would be in the Heisman race every year.
knapplc
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:It sickens me how RED some peoples glasses are that they just cannot fathom anyone throwing the ball against a secondary completely unproven (with the exception of Evans).
Wow... no. Don't get confused with the term "starter." Our secondary is DEEP. We have tons of experience at every position. "Starter" on Bo's defense doesn't mean a lot. He rotates heavily. You'll see a ton of names & numbers out there.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

knapplc wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:It sickens me how RED some peoples glasses are that they just cannot fathom anyone throwing the ball against a secondary completely unproven (with the exception of Evans).
Wow... no. Don't get confused with the term "starter." Our secondary is DEEP. We have tons of experience at every position. "Starter" on Bo's defense doesn't mean a lot. He rotates heavily. You'll see a ton of names & numbers out there.
having tons of players to rotate doesnt make them better than last year or any year for that matter. The reason you play every season is that every season is different and things change and anything can happen.
knapplc
Buckaroo

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
knapplc wrote:
having tons of players to rotate doesnt make them better than last year or any year for that matter. The reason you play every season is that every season is different and things change and anything can happen.
And that means what to this conversation? You made the claim this is a "completely unproven" secondary. That's false.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

knapplc wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
knapplc wrote:
And that means what to this conversation? You made the claim this is a "completely unproven" secondary. That's false.
and you want us to think because Gonzo has a ton of bodies to cycle in an out that the defense wont have a drop off from last year. It will....that was the whole point and thats what my comment had to do with this conversation....you should keep up
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

NiobraraRiver wrote:I doubt Smith even throws for 200 yards.
Howdy. Welcome to the WyoNation board! (I was told I wasn't a very good host yesterday - so I have changed my ways).

Anyway, are you a gambling man? Would you like to wager on that comment, something friendly - like a traditional "6 pack" bet?

If Smith & Company throw for > 200 yards, you call and purchase a 6 pack of my favorite beverage at one of our local liquor stores - and I will go pick it up.

If Smith & Company throw for < 200 yards, I call and purchase a 6 pack of your favorite beverage at one of your local liquor stores - and then you go pick it up.

Or we could do a $10.00 donation to the winner's favorite charity, in the name of the loser's favorite football team?

Or, if you have other thoughts?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

It's both team's first games on Sat and truly anything could happen, not saying it will
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

The only way Brett Smith throws for under 200 yards is if he is hurt or ejected (yes that has happened). Please, Please, Please keep Smith healthy. Although at least this year we have a capable backup at QB and Kirkegaard will not be seeing the field outside of his holding duties.
knapplc
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote:Please, Please, Please keep Smith healthy.
I'm kinda worried about this. Concussions are nothing to mess with, and the fact that he's missed time due to concussions, combined with the fact that Bo handed out Blackshirts to only some of our defenders - meaning the ones without Blackshirts should be going hellbent for leather Saturday to get one - concerns me.

One of our starting LBs is an absolute beast. In the Spring Game last April they stopped the game and ran some "fun" drills on the field. One of them was the Compete Drill, with a ball carrier, two blockers and one tackler. The only guy to break through the blockers and tackle the ball carrier was Anderson, and he was completely ferocious about it. He didn't get a Blackshirt this week, so he's going to do everything he can to earn one.

We may have lost a recruit this week due to concussions. Kid apparently has all the talent in the world, but in his first High School game this year he took a pretty normal hit but was knocked unconscious. He's had concussions before, and at the moment his speech patterns are messed up and he's just not the same guy. Clearly some issues there, and honestly the kid should never play college football. If he comes here and sits on the sideline with a clipboard for his whole career that'll be just fine.

So here's hoping nobody on either side gets hurt, and especially Smith with his concussion history. That really scares me.

EDIT - here's the guy I'm talking about. Apologies for the crappy video.

NiobraraRiver
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
NiobraraRiver wrote:I doubt Smith even throws for 200 yards.
Howdy. Welcome to the WyoNation board! (I was told I wasn't a very good host yesterday - so I have changed my ways).

Anyway, are you a gambling man? Would you like to wager on that comment, something friendly - like a traditional "6 pack" bet?

If Smith & Company throw for > 200 yards, you call and purchase a 6 pack of my favorite beverage at one of our local liquor stores - and I will go pick it up.

If Smith & Company throw for < 200 yards, I call and purchase a 6 pack of your favorite beverage at one of your local liquor stores - and then you go pick it up.

Or we could do a $10.00 donation to the winner's favorite charity, in the name of the loser's favorite football team?

Or, if you have other thoughts?