I'm glad the AF game is early this year

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Generally, I think it's been understood that you want AF late in the year. They're always a decent team, but tend to get run down by the grueling academic and athletic schedule and general lack of depth on their squad. So it's usually better to get them late in the year.

But this year I'm glad we have them relatively early.

I believe Coach DC and this team have had this game circled since about Oct 14, 2012. DC was able to get himself and the team focused on Nebraska, but I'd be willing to bet they've spent the vast majority of the time since the Bugeaters game and plenty prior to it prepping for AF. It explains the slow starts against both Idaho and UNC. I think DC wants to beat the pants off Calhoun, walk up and shake his hand like a man, and have Calhoun be the one embarrassed this year.

Know that i don't have anything substantial to base this on, just a feeling I've gotten reading articles and watching video on Gag's blog. I think the team appreciates DC standing up for them last year, even though his choice in how to do that were poor, and they'll play with a chip on their shoulder. I think DC wants to hang 60 on the Academy, and will take every opportunity to run up the score if he can. This should be a good one.

But it worries me for too reasons. 1) I've seen this backfire all too often. The team gets too high emotionally and plays too tight, or makes mistakes trying to make the big play. I hope the coaching staff can prevent that. 2) I think it sets us up for a big letdown next week against Texas State. Emotions will be riding high this week, and win or lose, I can see a big letdown next week. Again, I hope that the coaching staff sees that and is prepared for it.

Here's hoping for a good clean game on Saturday, with the good guys coming out on top.

GO POKES!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i agree it's better to play them earlier when they are still trying to learn their system rather than later in the year when the bulldozer is going full strength..lol. I didn't think we'd get them during the hurricane in 2011, but that was a fun game to attend and watch, I think we'll be a-ok