Our 'boys at the Buck.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

WyoBrandX wrote:Oh come on. They were 21 and just lost a hell of a game and were upset. If you lived in laramie and weren't at the buck after that game? Our football team has been tougher than ever - and you want to call them out on having some fun after getting their assses kicked?

Give them a break - let them go drink. If you don't like it, go hang out on the football field and make better plays.

Subcanis wrote:This really bothered me Saturday night. The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

We were humiliated Saturday. Embarrassed. CSU made us their bitch.

Around midnight on Saturday, more than a few of our team showed up at the Buckhorn. All smiles, joking around, no shame. Like they truly didn't care.

I had to budget this game in. I brought two guys with me who were new to the state so they could see why I am so passionate about my Pokes. They were skeptic afterwords, to say the least.

Why were our guys out on the town partying that night? Why were they not embarrassed? Why is the Buck not off limits after what happened with Martinez last year?

I don't get it. If I'm a player on this team that lost this game I hope to Christ no one on campus recognizes me.
Really? That wasn't a hell of a game. If they had lost on a closing second long field goal that would be a hell of a game. We got clown stomped at home.

Our football team tougher than ever?!? Am missing the sarcasm?
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:
wyocowboy2014 wrote:Who cares? These kids put in work all week long. Depending on the week, they might not have a day off at all. Most days, they are up at 5am and at the rack until 10am ish. Then it's off to class. Depending on the player, they may have study hall hours during the evening. I don't see a problem at all with them being out as long as they are not creating problems when they are out. They are college students as well. A very select few can even directly affect the outcome of a game. Stop taking your frustrations of the loss and you spending money on the game out on college players. Regardless of what you think, I know how hard these guys work and how much time they put in week in and week out. The players are only as good as the coaching they receive and preparation they go through for each game. Want to be mad at someone? Blame the coaches. Who cares about some college athletes out on a Saturday night. Get over it. This happens at every university in the country.
Who cares? Really?

I've got a friend who knows Chris Pro REALLY well and he said that Chris Pro only partied after wins during the season.
But no, not like he's in the NFL now or anything due to hard work and not being a dumbass.
Most of these players don't come from families like Chris did. There are lots of other players in the NFL that play way more than Chris that partied after games, win or lose. Like I said earlier, if you want to blame someone, blame the coaching staff. Players party because they are allowed to. Players don't pay attention in class because there are no consequences for it. They are even provided extra help whenever they need it. If I had a tutor that basically did my homework for me, I wouldn't pay attention either.
Last edited by wyocowboy2014 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote:Who cares? These kids put in work all week long. Depending on the week, they might not have a day off at all. Most days, they are up at 5am and at the rack until 10am ish. Then it's off to class. Depending on the player, they may have study hall hours during the evening. I don't see a problem at all with them being out as long as they are not creating problems when they are out. They are college students as well. A very select few can even directly affect the outcome of a game. Stop taking your frustrations of the loss and you spending money on the game out on college players. Regardless of what you think, I know how hard these guys work and how much time they put in week in and week out. The players are only as good as the coaching they receive and preparation they go through for each game. Want to be mad at someone? Blame the coaches. Who cares about some college athletes out on a Saturday night. Get over it. This happens at every university in the country.
How do you think all of those players have scholarships? Who do you think is paying for their athletic scholarships?

I don't care if they want to party just don't do it during the season if you can't even show up to compete each Saturday.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

I agree with the "They are in college logic." Would I have gone out after an ass whooping like that? Hell no. I wouldn't want to be seen in public, but it's not as big of a deal as people are trying to make it out to be. It's just another thing we can all be mad at to pass the time until next week. We need to start winning so people can calm down, and get back to meaningful discussions. Blowing it out of proportion and feeding the media that this is what is happening would do more harm than good. I don't want our players having to answer questions all day/week about what they are doing wrong after the games when they need to be correcting what they are doing wrong during the games.

If this was a Friday night.. I would feel a little different.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

wyocowboy2014 wrote:Players don't pay attention in class because there are no consequences for it. They are even provided extra help whenever they need it. If I had a tutor that basically did my homework for me, I wouldn't pay attention either.
Yup, there are some TRUE student-athletes at every school but I'd say about half or maybe even a little more than half barely do anything academic related.

Half of Utah State's players a few years ago majored in "Interdisciplinary Studies"...which is essentially a collection of the easiest classes to pass in the entire university.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Wyogogo wrote:I agree with the "They are in college logic." Would I have gone out after an ass whooping like that? Hell no. I wouldn't want to be seen in public, but it's not as big of a deal as people are trying to make it out to be. It's just another thing we can all be mad at to pass the time until next week. We need to start winning so people can calm down, and get back to meaningful discussions. Blowing it out of proportion and feeding the media that this is what is happening would do more harm than good. I don't want our players having to answer questions all day/week about what they are doing wrong after the games when they need to be correcting what they are doing wrong during the games.

If this was a Friday night.. I would feel a little different.
When both the coaches and players claim they have spent every Thursday prepping for THIS GAME, and we lose by 30? Then our guys go out partying? I was there, they weren't drinking their sorrows away, they were laughing it up and having a great night. If they cared, if the coaches were still in control, would they be out drinking after losing the boot?
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I have some pretty strong feelings on this so I will keep it simple. If you want to drink. .. fine. But do it from January to August. From September to December you are on the clock. You represent us, the state and that logo we are all so damned proud of.

For shi#s sakes, be selfless for three months. Is that too much to ask?
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Who said wyo prepped every Thursday for the sheep game? I know they did for AFA but not sure about CSU.

And even if these kids want to drink why can't they do it like the basketball players do in their own apartments?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

djm19 wrote:I have some pretty strong feelings on this so I will keep it simple. If you want to drink. .. fine. But do it from January to August. From September to December you are on the clock. You represent us, the state and that logo we are all so damned proud of.

This +100
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

I didn't mean for it to come off as me defending them. I don't agree with them going out, and I don't think they should be. My point was that writing the media and feeding them something like this will only make things worse. We have enough distractions. I'd rather have our players being asked about SJSU's defense, and how they are going to stop Fales. Not answering a poop of questions on why they felt it was a good idea to go out after a loss. It creates more problems than it solves.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

As frustrating as it is......isn't like they lost because of something that happened after the game......pissed by performance yes but these are college kids...we cant judge based on this as a few drinks after a game is over won't make or break a thing....agree poor choice but come on.....this seems to be the first thing people point to when losing and people deal with losses differently. However I do wonder what the status of the locker room is....no reason to come out and lay an egg against CSU. :twocents:
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:Who said wyo prepped every Thursday for the sheep game? I know they did for AFA but not sure about CSU.

And even if these kids want to drink why can't they do it like the basketball players do in their own apartments?
Was mentioned in a few articles in the Trib.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Interesting thread. And I see both sides.

My opinion - it is college, they are 21, let them blow off steam, let them bond.

In 1987 (and 88, and 89), the entire team used to get poop hammered every Thursday night at Mingles & The Gallery. And I thought it was odd, but hell, they were winners, so why not. After the OK State game that year (87) which they lost in a close battle against Thurman Thomas and a bunch of fat douches, they were "seen" out on the town raising hell and having a good time as well. What followed? 9 straight wins and a Holiday bowl bid.

Ah...social media. It is f-word everything up.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Hold the phone - I'm confused. I heard the rumor that they were out partying the night before the game. Maybe the rumor is wrong - If so, I'm sorry I mentioned it.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Subcanis wrote:This really bothered me Saturday night. The more I think about it, the more it pisses me off.

We were humiliated Saturday. Embarrassed. CSU made us their bitch.

Around midnight on Saturday, more than a few of our team showed up at the Buckhorn. All smiles, joking around, no shame. Like they truly didn't care.

I had to budget this game in. I brought two guys with me who were new to the state so they could see why I am so passionate about my Pokes. They were skeptic afterwords, to say the least.

Why were our guys out on the town partying that night? Why were they not embarrassed? Why is the Buck not off limits after what happened with Martinez last year?

I don't get it. If I'm a player on this team that lost this game I hope to Christ no one on campus recognizes me.
You are blowing this way out of proportion. College kids will party on Saturday night, football players or not, win or lose, they are young and go out. Part of going to college. Not a big deal. Certainly not worthy of writing letters to anyone.
jarhead
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:So football players at Wyo don't pay attention in class and party on weekends?

Hmmm, that sounds like every single college football player on planet earth.
Doesn't mean it's okay.

One thing I've noticed, is Brett Smith doesn't go out to the buck.
Every time I see Tanner Simpson he has a backpack and is either leaving class or going to class.
These kids I have class with, starters that I won't name, never show up with any school supplies.
Fail the easiest tests in the world, and don't do ANYTHING in class.

I just think it's a joke that the team doesn't seem to care about anything but partying.
It is good to hear my son is going to class! LOL Seriously though Tanner is passionate about his degree. Maybe that is because I am paying for it! LOL He spent all day yesterday in the Library trying to learn Chemistry.. HA HA Beaver if you know of anyone to help him out hook him up would ya?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
Who cares? Really?

I've got a friend who knows Chris Pro REALLY well and he said that Chris Pro only partied after wins during the season.
But no, not like he's in the NFL now or anything due to hard work and not being a dumbass.
Chris is a good kid, I've known him since he was a youngen, brought up right. Some kids care, some kids use the I don't care, about anything way to much to get outta life that what they want to put into it...hence why we have so many issues in this society these days. i don't get it....I understand fun etc...but ethics are non existent anymore
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

CowboyNV wrote:
djm19 wrote:I have some pretty strong feelings on this so I will keep it simple. If you want to drink. .. fine. But do it from January to August. From September to December you are on the clock. You represent us, the state and that logo we are all so damned proud of.

This +100
Indeed.
I can somewhat understand the need to blow off steam after a loss, but this game was a huge deal for the fans, and it always is. And we were humiliated. No matter what, we're not going to look kindly upon players seemingly not caring about just having been blown out by our biggest rival.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

I heard that during the game certain defensive starters were laughing on the sidelines during our most abysmal performance at home in a long time. This along with certain players showing up afterwards at Buckhorn makes me furious. Folks drive from all over our State to support this team only to have players laugh and party after a performance like that. I dont know if it was the same guys laughing on the sidelines that showed up at the Buck, but one of the guys clowning around was a Captain. Is it any wonder this Defense lacks leadership?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

stymeman wrote:Chris is a good kid, I've known him since he was a youngen, brought up right. Some kids care, some kids use the I don't care, about anything way to much to get outta life that what they want to put into it...hence why we have so many issues in this society these days. i don't get it....I understand fun etc...but ethics are non existent anymore
Good ethics are as prevalent as they've ever been, but we have a more open society than ever in terms of reporting too, so there's a confirmation bias - bad news are there whenever you want to hear about it. Everybody thinks crimes and violence is at an all-time high, when in fact it's something that's been steadily trending downwards over the last couple of decades, even through the recent recession.

People have always taken shortcuts in life and cared about themselves more than others. It's an unfortunate part of human nature. With a sport like college football, it's going to be further exasperated because a lot of these kids got more or less worshipped in their home towns, and that's something many of them can't handle without it going to their heads in the worst of ways. It makes the kids that are solid characters stand out even more and being worthy of attention, though.