It only took a year....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
uwaluminidaho
Buckaroo

Post a reply 62 posts • Page 1 of 3 • 1, 2, 3 What to do with the $50K
by uwaluminidaho » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 am

How about using the $50k to hire some re-evaluation of the program? Do what the rest of the business world does whenever things are going to hell in a hand basket, like the ‘business’ of UW football. They hire a consultant to come in and tell them how they are messed up. There is madness and insanity going on with the UW football program. In short, it’s messed up.
Is it the coach? The OC and/or the DC? The schemes on offense and defense? Lack of quality athletes? Lack of skilled position players? Are theirs bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter than ours? If we are not D1 team, why? Is it everything? Clean house?
We have 4 games left. For those 4 or so weeks, hire Gene Huey, Gary Barnett or a Joe Tiller (I am sure there are consulting firms already in place in the profession that are primed and capable to carry out such an assignment. May be more than $50 K, so be it.) or someone of similar qualifications as a special assistant(s) to the AD to come in and ‘observe only’ the practices, the coaches, the meetings, all the game prep, evaluate some of the key people players and personnel via film and live observations, and be in the coaches booth and wired in at game time. If the current staff doesn’t already know it, these evaluation results will in part determine if they will be here next year or not.
At the end of the season prepare a report to the UW Pres and AD about the state of the program. Do we have the right staff for one? Can UW recruit the right horses for the offensive and defensive schemes? Is the recruiting in the right geographical locales? Can we compete in the new structured MW as it will be next year and after?
Lastly, what is their perception about our future in D1 football? Do we petition the Big Sky or Missouri Valley conferences for slots before they are all taken up? So many questions need to be asked first of all, then answered subjectively without all this tension that is now present. It is a business boys, now run it like one.
Go Pokes, down a different road.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 123 times

I will answer part of it - just say HELL NO to the Big Sky / MVC. Period. Again.

As far as the rest of your post - ok.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Big Sky/MVC would mean I'm no longer a fan of UW Football.
If they raise the white flag, they don't deserve even an ounce of my support.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

we need to stay put, and fix what's broken internally hopefully the results will take place, we need to run it better and more efficiently and most importantly win the big meaningful games.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

stymeman wrote:we need to stay put, and fix what's broken internally hopefully the results will take place, we need to run it better and more efficiently and most importantly win the big meaningful games.
We need a competent AD that can lead UW to improved successes. It isn't always about luxury boxes and new turf.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Big Sky/MVC would mean I'm no longer a fan of UW Football.
Bandwagon.

You're right it's much better to suck every year in FBS.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:
Bandwagon.

You're right it's much better to suck every year in FBS.
I wouldn't say suck every year. More like mediocre...which will get you a bowl game every other year. There is need for improvement, but far from being so bad dropping down a division is our only answer. Not sure why you think this is what we need to do.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:I will answer part of it - just say HELL NO to the Big Sky / MVC. Period. Again.

this.......i would rather lose the NM bowl once every 5 years than win the FCS title every season
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

yup......i don't HAVE to drive halfway across the state and i would have absolutely no incentive to do so if this were to happen

whyoh
WyoNation Addict

i don't understand how people think that our performance would not drop off significantly in the FCS

SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

whyoh wrote:i don't understand how people think that our performance would not drop off significantly in the FCS
I don't understand why people would suddenly stop being loyal to a program they allegedly "love" just because they are FCS. Is it brown and gold you bleed, or is FBS you bleed?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

whyoh wrote:
McPeachy wrote:I will answer part of it - just say HELL NO to the Big Sky / MVC. Period. Again.

this.......i would rather lose the NM bowl once every 5 years than win the FCS title every season
Tell me why that is. You don't like winning? Wow this fan base really is conditioned to losing. Sad.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:
whyoh wrote:

Tell me why that is. You don't like winning? Wow this fan base really is conditioned to losing. Sad.
Quit trying so hard.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
whyoh wrote:

Quit trying so hard.
I don't have to try. My case gets made every Saturday afternoon.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

SDPokeFan wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
whyoh wrote:

Quit trying so hard.
I don't have to try. My case gets made every Saturday afternoon.
You definitely warrant your avatar.

Dropping to a lower division strikes at the very identity of Wyoming Athletics. It's that simple. You are quitting, giving up, capitulating, admitting "It's too hard."

Quite honestly, the consequences of such a move would be such that it would probably be the opening notes of the swan song of football at Wyoming.

Your advocating dropping speaks far more to being conditioned to losing than people who still know and believe success at the FBS level is still possible. They haven't given up. You, M'sieur Howdy Doody, have.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

I remember the calls in the Boomerang's letters to the editor for the Cowboys to drop back to Div. IAA in 1989. Nineteen-eighty-freakin'-nine....Because we weren't going to run the table in conference the way we did the prior two years.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 123 times

Lost Poke wrote:I remember the calls in the Boomerang's letters to the editor for the Cowboys to drop back to Div. IAA in 1989. Nineteen-eighty-freakin'-nine....Because we weren't going to run the table in conference the way we did the prior two years.
SDPokeFan wrote letters to the Boomerang 24 years ago? Wow. :lol:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

SDPokeFan wrote:
whyoh wrote:

I do like winning, and that's why I'm not a fan of dropping to FCS, because we wouldn't win there. We would get FAR less money. We would get some in-state athletes but no one that is FBS talent. Out-of-state recruiting wouldn't be very impressive because now instead of competing with CU, CSU, AFA, USU, etc., we would compete with them AND Montana, Montana state, South Dakota, South Dakota state, North Dakota, etc. And guess what, when it's FCS Wyo vs. FCS Montana, we probably lose that recruiting battle. So if your argument is to drop so that we can win, that is faulty logic because I don't think we would win at FCS.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Hell, let's just drop to community college, fund Powell, Cheyenne, rock springs, laramie, casper and whatever else community college in the area and start the Wyoming State Football Conference... like glorified high school play. That way we always have a winner from the state. Maybe we can all have the same steamboat logo with just different colors.

FCS I'm out. It's not the same. So you ask "is it football or is it d1?" The answer. .. yes. It is.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:Hell, let's just drop to community college, fund Powell, Cheyenne, rock springs, laramie, casper and whatever else community college in the area and start the Wyoming State Football Conference... like glorified high school play. That way we always have a winner from the state. Maybe we can all have the same steamboat logo with just different colors.

FCS I'm out. It's not the same. So you ask "is it football or is it d1?" The answer. .. yes. It is.
Well at least you admit it. If you can take the constant mediocrity as long as the NCAA FBS banner gets waved around more power to you. I can't take it anymore.