Hire Craig Bohl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:First of all whoever talked down on beating Kansas State...really?
They BARELY beat them? Who cares? A win is a WIN! Not to mention, K-State is a BCS team and NDSU is FCS.
Saying K-State is worse off than us...really?
3-4 in the Big 12 is better than 4-4 in the MWC if you ask me.

Second of all...if we get Bohl after this season, he will have Brett Smith, and then Jason Thompson to play QB for him. Doesn't matter what system you're in, they can both play QB damn well. Pro-style or spread, whatever. Not to mention Wick and May next season.
He has offensive talent, so he just needs to worry about the O-Line which is good some games, and awful others. Good coaching can probably fix that.
Then...the defense.
Teach them to play freaking defense!
Plus, if he has been at Nebraska, and NDSU he can recruit kids to remote areas, knows how to deal with bad winters and can recruit the small town kid. The kid that wants to come to Laramie and drink a couple beers with a can of copenhagen instead of a bunch of douchey losers that just want to go to the club and chase "friendly ladies" all night.
First off, I'm from Kansas, Beav. I may not be a fan of KSU, but it's all that is in the papers down here and all that's on tv. KSU SUCKS this year. They are a one dimensional offense which relies heavy on their QB making a running play. If you thought Glenn's offense sucked, this stuff would blow your mind. The only thing that even makes KSU competitive is D. But it is even questionable at times.
"First down. Sams is in the shotgun. The snap to Sams, he going to make his way through the line for about 3 yards.
Second and 7 now, KSU showing a pistol formation. Sams is going to take the snap and sweep to the right, he spins and picks up about a yard.
Third and 6. Sams is all alone in the shotgun. Five wide. The snap, Sams thought about the run, he's now looking to the middle of the field, he's got a receiver wide open. Sams just gets it off in time! Incomplete. He threw it at the receivers feet.
That'll bring up fourth and 6 and the Wildcats will have to punt it away."
That's a typical drive. Not hard to beat a team that struggles on offense.

Now, you say Rohl would do great with Smith and Thompson? Both of those QBs are Spread formation QBs. They will typically never throw for less than 30 times a game.
Rohls QB threw 14 times in their win yesterday. That is a waste of Smiths talent if you want him to transition next year. If we have a coaching change with a significant offensive change, bet that we lose Smith to the draft and probably Thompson to transfer. Remember, he almost transferred last year. Then where are we at with one of our toughest schedules next year?
YankPoke
Cowpoke

I agree with parts of both Kansas, and you Beav. I do think that we lose both Smith and Thompson in we were to hire a guy like Bohl, but I also agree that Bohl has shown that he can recruit to isolated places and have success. For an FCS team to beat a BCS school that is nothing to scoff at, I know that KSU is not as good this season, but they can win some games still. I would have Bohl as my top candidate because he has won at NDSU, which has similar challenges to Laramie although it would cause a transition time and I don't think we would be all that competitive for a few years. We do have some individual talent on the defense, as well as some good RBs that he could utilize right away, but we would likely be looking at potentially Thornton being our best returning QB. It is difficult whenever you fire a coach and usually there is an unfortunate transition period, which is why I would not be opposed to giving DC Brett's senior season as long as Tormey is fired immediately. I do think however that Bohl should be at the top of the list of potential candidates if it is deemed that a change is necessary.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

YankPoke wrote:I agree with parts of both Kansas, and you Beav. I do think that we lose both Smith and Thompson in we were to hire a guy like Bohl, but I also agree that Bohl has shown that he can recruit to isolated places and have success. For an FCS team to beat a BCS school that is nothing to scoff at, I know that KSU is not as good this season, but they can win some games still. I would have Bohl as my top candidate because he has won at NDSU, which has similar challenges to Laramie although it would cause a transition time and I don't think we would be all that competitive for a few years. We do have some individual talent on the defense, as well as some good RBs that he could utilize right away, but we would likely be looking at potentially Thornton being our best returning QB. It is difficult whenever you fire a coach and usually there is an unfortunate transition period, which is why I would not be opposed to giving DC Brett's senior season as long as Tormey is fired immediately. I do think however that Bohl should be at the top of the list of potential candidates if it is deemed that a change is necessary.
+1
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Spread or pro style, Brett can play. Would it really surprise anyone if we went to a pro-style offense and Brett still put up big numbers? No, or at least it shouldn't. He can play QB plain and simple.
The coach isn't an idiot. He would find a way to bring out the talents of Brett and Thompson the best way possible.

And could it really hurt to have another blocker and 1 less WR?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Plus, would Thompson really transfer? Why transfer after your RS-sophomore year? He would have to sit out another season.
Plus, the new coach would immediately reach out to Thompson to do anything he could to get him to stay, as he knows Thompson staying would be the biggest resource for his success.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.