Smith is gone

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
RediPoke
Buckaroo

I'm calling it right now. This will be his last season at Wyoming. Off to the the draft.

I love what the guy has brought to the team and what he's meant to this program the last few years but he's done.

It's been a long time since I've seen that "fire" that sucked us all in. He looks defeated all the time. He's competing, he's scrambling, he's trying his best but it's not the same. Can't say I blame him either. Look what he's been put through and had to deal with. The offensive line has disappeared since the first couple games. Have you ever seen a team run so many rollouts? Poor guy can't set his feet and make a throw.

Brett's name has been a hot topic among NFL guys this year and he may slip leaving now but when you factor DC more than likely being shown the door, I doubt he's going to want to go through another year like this with a brand new staff.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

If he graduates in fall of 2013 or spring 2014, he could also transfer to another school.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Ummm. Did you see Brett Smith play today? Nobody is drafting those happy feet, poor ball security, and poor decisions. He's not the player he was earlier in the year.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

calpoke25 wrote:Ummm. Did you see Brett Smith play today? Nobody is drafting those happy feet, poor ball security, and poor decisions. He's not the player he was earlier in the year.
Exactly!!!! While he had poor protection most of his poop play tonight falls squarely on his shoulders. No NFL team in their right mind would draft him right now.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

NFL scouts are there watching Carr. We will lose Smith to transfer before draft. Guaranteed.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

If he plays like he has been he won't do anything in the NFL. Not sure he would get drafted very high either.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Smith is going nowhere but another year in Laramie.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Who gives a shot if he leaves? Not like we are winning with him.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

There's no question he has regressed over the last several games, offensive line issues have contributed, but even when he's had time to throw his accuracy this season has not been as it was in the past.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Hes not going anywhere. Hes still a raw talent, he is struggling badly with the read option. He sets up wick for a pounding by failing to properly read the defensive end. He could've riped off huge chunks if he played it the way he was early in the year. His happy feet are understandable considering how awful the line blocks. His passes sail high, he doesn't lead receivers anymore etc. This season has taken a toll on his confidence. I feel bad for him, I really do. If CDC just showed more balls on forth downs maybe it would rub off on the players.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Drafted? The dilutions on this board are hilarious at times
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Smith has been poo poo platter the last 4 games. Scouts see it too. No draft.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

calpoke25 wrote:Ummm. Did you see Brett Smith play today? Nobody is drafting those happy feet, poor ball security, and poor decisions. He's not the player he was earlier in the year.
He is afraid of taking a hit in the pocket. It's nearly impossible to get a guy back from that.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

DVDA wrote:
He is afraid of taking a hit in the pocket. It's nearly impossible to get a guy back from that.
Funny thing is, same thing happened to ACS in year 2.
Now Brett Smith in year 3.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I remember being super excited about Corey Bramlet. Then that TCU game happened.

I'm not saying Smith's broken the same way, but claiming that it's because he's running for his life isn't honest - he ran for his life at least as much against Nebraska as he did last night. He made the right reads in that game, though... yesterday, he kept handing Wick the ball when they stacked 8 in the box. Not to mention, it's not like the receivers dropped a lot of easy passes either - they actually made some VERY good catches on balls that were a bit off target - and there were quite a few of those.

He's not going to the NFL yet. He's been outplayed by Carr, Fales, Grayson, and even the Texas State freshman first time starter. Some of that is on DC's playcalling, but not every bit of it.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

So Smith handed the ball off to Wick when they stacked 8 in the box, and that is Smith making the wrong read?
So would you rather Smith keep it himself and run into the same 8 in the box?
Those plays are either hand offs or QB keepers. Not hand offs or passes.
That is 100% on Christensen. Not Smith.
I really don't understand getting the blame for handing it off to Wick on plays Christensen calls that are run plays only.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Smith, 1st 4 games:
328 passing yards per game, 41 points per game, 13 TDs, 3 INTs

Next 5 games:
238 passing yards, 25 points per game, 7 TDs, 5 INTs

Is it all Smith, is it he play calling, the competition, I can't say for sure? But it's a big drop off. I still he goes if he looks as if he'll get drafted, any round.

Last week we got rid of the defensive coordinator, why not get rid of the offensive coordinator this week. At least the D is consistent, consistently bad, but consistent. The O has taken a huge drop.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

BeaverPoke wrote:So Smith handed the ball off to Wick when they stacked 8 in the box, and that is Smith making the wrong read?
So would you rather Smith keep it himself and run into the same 8 in the box?
Those plays are either hand offs or QB keepers. Not hand offs or passes.
That is 100% on Christensen. Not Smith.
I really don't understand getting the blame for handing it off to Wick on plays Christensen calls that are run plays only.
Smith wouldn't necessarily be running into an 8 man stacked box. The point of the zone read is misdirection, so if Smith fakes the handoff to Wick, and the defensive line and linebackers commit to stopping Wick then Smith is free to scoot around the outside for a gain. Obviously if the linebackers don't commit to the RB the play can run into trouble, but the misdirection is supposed to negate some of the pressure.
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

mwc fan wrote:Hes not going anywhere. Hes still a raw talent, he is struggling badly with the read option. He sets up wick for a pounding by failing to properly read the defensive end. He could've riped off huge chunks if he played it the way he was early in the year. His happy feet are understandable considering how awful the line blocks. His passes sail high, he doesn't lead receivers anymore etc. This season has taken a toll on his confidence. I feel bad for him, I really do. If CDC just showed more balls on forth downs maybe it would rub off on the players.
This ^^^

I put blame on DC for most of (if not all) of Brett's development and growth. Brett has regressed this season.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

I appreciate most people's insight on this board most of the time, but some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. First of all.. The zone read.. Smith reads one player, and one player only on that play: The defensive end. If the end takes Brett, regardless of how many guys are in the box, the QB gives it.. Every time. THAT IS THE READ. Ever since game two or three of the year the DE has played Smith almost every time. I assume this was game plan from the coaches. "Take Smith every play and force their RBs to beat us." Hence a big reason why Wick, and Miller have seen great success on that play this year. Secondly, we as an offense have become completely predictable in the play calling department. The D is never on their toes, because they know that we are going to run the zone read on first down, a lot of times on down 2nd also, then have to pass on 3rd and long. If we don't run the zone read on Down #2 then we either run a WR screen, or short curls. There is no deep threat. We don't mix it up, and therefore the defense can cheat and get away with it. In a nutshell our play calling is setting us up with an enormous amount of 3rd and longs. That makes the opposing teams D coordinator's job pretty easy. Downplaying the line's recent performance boggles my mind as well. We can't call drop backs because they immediately turn into sprint outs. most of the pass plays we call now are sprint outs to get Smith in space, and even then there is no time to throw. I feel bad for the kid. I guess the QB position gets more credit than they deserve in a win and more blame in defeat, but some of these statements make me wonder if some of you even watch/analyze the games, or if you just prefer to get drunk and bitch. Anybody who has played the game knows that final stat lines can be misleading. The team as a whole has regressed, and it's unfair to put that blame on a single kid saying "he doesn't want it anymore" or "he doesn't have the fire he used to." I'm sure if you said that to his face he'd whoop your fat ass. I have no doubt winning is the only thing that matters to Smith.