UW vs. Montana State

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

The Cowboys get back on the floor tomorrow night after a short break over the holiday. I expect them to be focused and looking to get back into the win column coming off a loss on the road. Larry Nance certainly had his best game of the season at OSU. I'm hoping he can take the confidence he gained from that game and turn it into a sustained higher level of play. Not that he was playing poorly prior to the OSU game, but he wasn't a dominating force. Am I alone in thinking Shyatt needs to give Hankerson a shot in the starting line-up over Sobey? To be frank, Sobey has been underwhelming this season. Sure, he has taken the ball to the basket more this season, but he hasn't been able to finish or draw the foul when he does. His biggest strength last season, his outside shooting, has also left something to be desired this season. I think Hankerson brings more to the table for the Cowboys at this point. Anyways, here's a little primer on the Montana State Bobcats.

Player(s) to Watch: Flavien Davis (F, 6'5, 225 lbs, Sr.); Marcus Colbert (G, 5'11, 180 lbs, So.)
Davis joined the Bobcats last season as a junior after playing two seasons at a junior college. He was a pleasant surprise for the Bobcats, earning honorable mention all-conference honors in his first season. His game is best described as a "stretch 4". He can play with his back to the basket, but possesses range all the way out to the 3 point line. He is another player to have struggled this season among high expectations, but he is the most well rounded player on the Bobcats roster. I expect the Bobcats to look for him early in an attempt to get Nance and/or Cooke in foul trouble early. I'd really like to see how Hankerson would fair defensively on him.

Colbert is a player who has taken a major step forward in his sophomore year. As a true freshman last year, he started the majority of games at the PG spot for the Bobcats. While he was a serviceable player last year, he has developed into one of the better players on the Bobcats roster in just one years time. Small and quick, he is very good at drawing help defenders and hitting the open man when they present themselves. That being said, where he is most dangerous is from behind the arc. He's shooting 52% this season from 3 and will not hesitate to pull the trigger if given the slightest look at the basket. This is going to be a tough defensive match-up for Grabau. I will be keeping an eye on this match-up to see how Grabau handles himself.

The Bobcats were picked to finish 5th (media poll)/6th (coaches poll) in the 11 team Big Sky Conference. The key for the Cowboys will be not letting the Bobcats get hot and take an early lead. The Cowboys have the better player at every position and should handle the Bobcats with relative ease. Given the more difficult end to the out-of-conference schedule and increased competition level the Pokes will see in the MWC, they absolutely cannot afford to drop games like this one.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I totally agree about Hankerson over Sobey.
I think it is just a matter of time until Hankerson starts playing like the elite player we want/need.
Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

FTC.
ImageImageImageImage
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

We are 15 point favorites tomorrow. I think we run away with this one.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ProudWYOAlum wrote:We are 15 point favorites tomorrow. I think we run away with this one.
Yeah it SHOULD be a blow out.

Get the team running some more, and playing strong D against a smaller, less athletic team.

Pokes should put the throttle on in the first half and play a lot of back ups in the 2nd half.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Poke scoring does not seem to be that much of a problem this year, so I'm wondering -- is Sobey a better defender than Hankerson?
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand

any live stream for this game??
Pinto4life
Buckaroo

All homegames that aren't televised are streamed for free at http://www.gowyo.com/videos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and audio for those games that are on TV).
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:I totally agree about Hankerson over Sobey.
I think it is just a matter of time until Hankerson starts playing like the elite player we want/need.
I'd rather see Granberry than Hank, from what I've seen so far
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

wyokoke wrote:
Hmm. I think Hankerson is the better athlete with explosive first step and ability to finish at the rim but I agree that Granberry is a better set shooter and plays intense defense. I like them both. Each have their spots. Get them both on the court together with nance and adams and washington. Thats a good lineup.
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand

dont see the live stream
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

wyofan4life5 wrote:dont see the live stream
It was scheduled up until 2 minutes ago, now it doesn't exist. The hell is going on here?
Pinto4life
Buckaroo

They had a "stopped streaming" message for a little bit, then the game disappeared altogether from the list...i'd bet on technical difficulties or no one in laramie to run the cameras...
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
wyokoke wrote:
Hmm. I think Hankerson is the better athlete with explosive first step and ability to finish at the rim but I agree that Granberry is a better set shooter and plays intense defense. I like them both. Each have their spots. Get them both on the court together with nance and adams and washington. Thats a good lineup.
I just think Granberry over him because he seems to have picked everything up fairly quickly, and i agree with that lineup but I'd rather see Riley than Washington in there, he's a constant
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Stream "exists" again, but still not working.

12-10 Wyoming, according to Yahoo gametracker.
Pinto4life
Buckaroo

Riley lights out so far.
Pinto4life
Buckaroo

Audio link here. http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/wyoming.portal#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Video stream worked for me for most of the 1st half. Kind of wish it didn't.
Pinto4life
Buckaroo

Stream is now up. Probably.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

The stream is weird tonight. It was working on my laptop, then I tried it on my desktop and it wouldn't work. Just kept saying it wasn't being broadcast (the whole time it was working on my laptop). Then I got a technical difficulties message on my laptop and after a few it started working on the desktop. (While still showing the technical difficulties message on my laptop) Been working flawlessly since.