BREAKING: Christensen Fired

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I would not be surprised to see him go to Utah. He is good friends with Wittingham & some of their assistants.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

And Burman's attempt to keep his job begins......rhetoric change.
Burman should keep his job.

Christensen didn't pan out, but it was a good hire.

Other than that, about the only sport not headed in a good direction is golf...and it's lunacy we have that sport anyway.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

SnowyRange wrote:

Other than that, about the only sport not headed in a good direction is golf...and it's lunacy we have that sport anyway.
Wait a moment- you honestly saw improvement in football since we hired Christensen? Are you watching the WYOMING Cowboys?

:brick:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Wait a moment- you honestly saw improvement in football since we hired Christensen? Are you watching the WYOMING Cowboys?
Read my entire post. I said that DC was a good hire, and other than that all sports -- except golf -- are moving in a good direction.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:
Read my entire post. I said that DC was a good hire, and other than that all sports -- except golf -- are moving in a good direction.
Maybe I'm just not smoking the same stuff as you, but that makes zero sense. Christensen was a good hire, and other than that- what?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Maybe I'm just not smoking the same stuff as you, but that makes zero sense. Christensen was a good hire, and other than that- what?
Just exactly what I said in my last two posts.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:
:?
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
He was a good hire, he started strong, but overall has not panned out. At least he brought us to two bowl games, something that no coach since Roach has done.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Wyovanian wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Initially he was a good hire. Hottest OC in college sports. Appeared to have worked miracles at mizzou. Evidently that had more to do with pinkel than his staff. Sort of a bill bellacheck type of thing or like Dan Hawkins riding on petersons skill and talent. Initially it looks good till you find out their were glaring deficiencies that were being covered up.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Who knows - maybe wyoming ponies up the cash and gets a good head coach and hires on Christensen as the offensive coordinator. Not bloody likely, but a strong improvement across all position and assistant coaches would be great!
YankPoke
Cowpoke

SnowyRange wrote:

+1 most sports are improving, wrestling is doing well both men's and women's basketball are improving, or are already winning. The women's volleyball season ended very strong, so it looks like that could be a good hire although it is too early to tell. DC was initially a big time hire but it did not pan out. I think Burman should at least get this hire, and if he doesn't get this one right then it might be time to get rid of Burman.
wyofan4life5
Ranch Hand

smooth poke has to be a DC relative
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

wyofan4life5 wrote:smooth poke has to be a DC relative

Why do you have to give him crap because he likes the guy.
I liked him too, you want to start In on me?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

kansasCowboy wrote:

Just a question; have you read any of the stuff osp has posted? The guy even started going off on Larry Shyatt for no real reason.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote:but I'm afraid things will get much worse than what has happened since 2000.
What is worse? The only thing I can think of that would be worse would be probation. 4 wins in three years was pretty bad.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

HR_Poke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Initially he was a good hire. Hottest OC in college sports. Appeared to have worked miracles at mizzou. Evidently that had more to do with pinkel than his staff. Sort of a bill bellacheck type of thing or like Dan Hawkins riding on petersons skill and talent. Initially it looks good till you find out their were glaring deficiencies that were being covered up.
I think that we have also seen that his offense could put up big numbers here most weeks and he will be a good OC at a top level program again.

I agree that Coach Christensen was a marquee hire and one of the hottest names on the market that year. We now have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and some demand that an AD should have that same 20/20 foresight. That is not really fair to anyone and leads to irrationality.

I expect the next hire to be someone who will address the current problems within the program, on and/or off the field. The next hire will not be perfect and I imagine that it will not be someone who has an offense-only resume. Therefore, I expect offensive production and dynamism to diminish. No coach is perfect, even Coach Sabin had things go awry yesterday. I would expect some on this board to demand his ouster if he were at Wyoming and had a loss like the one at Auburn.

Who are the hot assistants this year? I personally hope we pick up someone who has had success as a head coach, even if it is not his current school.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

Just a question; have you read any of the stuff osp has posted? The guy even started going off on Larry Shyatt for no real reason.
He used Shyatt as an example. Shyatt has done good, but he hasn't proved himself yet. For him, this year ant next will tell us where we are in basketball. OOC games matter only minimally. Going 4-12 in conference? That matters. Don't start giving me the "rant" about why that happened as well with the loss of Martinez and so forth either. I like Shyatt, just like I did DC. I'm hoping he works out.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

kansasCowboy wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

He used Shyatt as an example. Shyatt has done good, but he hasn't proved himself yet. For him, this year ant next will tell us where we are in basketball. OOC games matter only minimally. Going 4-12 in conference? That matters. Don't start giving me the "rant" about why that happened as well with the loss of Martinez and so forth either. I like Shyatt, just like I did DC. I'm hoping he works out.
What "rant"? Shyatt had to work with about 6-7 players that could give quality minutes on the floor his first 2 years because 4-5 players from the previous HC decided to leave, and many of them were sophomores and juniors. Left us very thin. And by conference play, we had injuries, sickness, and of course, the Martinez issue.

I'm not saying he's perfect, I'm just saying he was dealt a bad hand but made the most of it. He's even knocked off top 25 opponents and winning teams.
OneMoreBeer
Buckaroo

kansasCowboy wrote:
And it was a lousy example, which you allude to in your second sentence above. If Shyatt and Christensen were hired at the same time and had similar results, dude may have a point. As it is, it's pretty dumb to drag Shyatt into this conversation if he hasn't had an adequate amount of time to make an appropriate comparison.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

What "rant"? Shyatt had to work with about 6-7 players that could give quality minutes on the floor his first 2 years because 4-5 players from the previous HC decided to leave, and many of them were sophomores and juniors. Left us very thin. And by conference play, we had injuries, sickness, and of course, the Martinez issue.

I'm not saying he's perfect, I'm just saying he was dealt a bad hand but made the most of it. He's even knocked off top 25 opponents and winning teams.
Your preaching to the choir. But I don't need something I already know explained to me over and over again.
Yes Shyatt has busted out two 20 win seasons. I'm all for that. But even I want to see oh conference record at or above .500 before I say we're on the right track.