Spack interviewing

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

mwc fan wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:"I want the best big name FBS head coach available."

Problem is the best big name head coach would need to want to come to Laramie. It's a two way street, man.
Thats true. Let me rephrase that. " I want the Best big name FBS head coach available that is interested in turning a program like Wyoming around".
Yup, that list, as far as I know right now is .... 0.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Dropping down a division is a death sentence. May as well ASK the NCAA to put the death sentence on us, as it would have the same effect.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:Dropping down a division is a death sentence. May as well ASK the NCAA to put the death sentence on us, as it would have the same effect.
Its a death sentence for a program if mediocrity is the result for each year. I would rather see us in a conference where we can be competitive instead of a conference we are always a bottom feeder. The BOT and administration needs to make up their minds and make the commitment, either fund the program to be one that is competitive within our conference and does win the championship from time to time or move to a conference were the present level of commitment from the BOT and administration will allow us to be competitive. I am not scared of us moving down, I am more tired of losing and having the administration lie to us about their commitment to winning.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:Dropping down a division is a death sentence. May as well ASK the NCAA to put the death sentence on us, as it would have the same effect.
Its a death sentence for a program if mediocrity is the result for each year. I would rather see us in a conference where we can be competitive instead of a conference we are always a bottom feeder. The BOT and administration needs to make up their minds and make the commitment, either fund the program to be one that is competitive within our conference and does win the championship from time to time or move to a conference were the present level of commitment from the BOT and administration will allow us to be competitive. I am not scared of us moving down, I am more tired of losing and having the administration lie to us about their commitment to winning.
We get the recruits we get because we play Div 1 FBS football. A lot of them would not be here if we were FCS. We go to FCS, some years down the line, because we're getting D2 athletes who get to play FCS, you and your ilk would be clamoring for us to drop down to D2 in order to "compete". People like you kill programs.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

As fans we can cause change. Donate more and make sure it is earmarked for football assistant wages. As a voter you have a a choice to write your state legislators and governor, and inform them that you will no longer be voting for them unless UW athletics is made a higher priority. You can also write the BOT on increasing student fees in order to increase athletic funding ( most realistic increase in funding & even a 100 dollar increase would be huge). How about writing to the BOT about allowing beer sales(Ole Tom is on record saying he doesn't want to sell beer)?

If I had to guess most UW fans only like to bitch without any action. If you want change increase your donations & start sending letters & emails voicing your discontent ( to BOT, Burman, governor, legislator, UW foundation, & student senate).
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Maybe Wyonation should have a bake sale? :lol:
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

marcuswyo wrote:As fans we can cause change. Donate more and make sure it is earmarked for football assistant wages. As a voter you have a a choice to write your state legislators and governor, and inform them that you will no longer be voting for them unless UW athletics is made a higher priority. You can also write the BOT on increasing student fees in order to increase athletic funding ( most realistic increase in funding & even a 100 dollar increase would be huge). How about writing to the BOT about allowing beer sales(Ole Tom is on record saying he doesn't want to sell beer)?

If I had to guess most UW fans only like to bitch without any action. If you want change increase your donations & start sending letters & emails voicing your discontent ( to BOT, Burman, governor, legislator, UW foundation, & student senate).
If the BOT really cared many of your suggestions would mean something, but since the BOT is just a good old boys club that is very high on themselves and their own positions it is like speaking to a brick wall....trust me I have tried. Just write to them and see how quickly someone can get defensive....if they respond to you at all. The BOT is so much more concerned with the academic side of the register it isn't funny and there are some who couldn't care less if Wyoming athletics is successful or not.....they of course would say that they want it to be successful but they refuse to accept the responsibility of their being cheap and its effect upon the program. There are many out there that only want to see the University of Wyoming as a place where their kids or other Wyoming kids play sports and they couldn't care less about Wyoming really competing....just as long as it is Wyoming kids that are competing. I have beat my head against the wall for more years than you can imagine. I do not have enough money to make a difference at the University of Wyoming, to make it successful and it is only through the legislature that we will find enough money to make a difference.

You are very idealistic and not very realistic in all seriousness. All we get from the administration and BOT is talk....it is time for them to do their work, they know it, I can't do their work for them!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I was initally thinking 'who????'. After I put some thought into this, this could be a great hire or a terrible hire. To tell you the truth, with Spack, its not so much about him getting hired as it is about who he brings in as his assistants.

I remember a few years ago Tiller was calling out Christensen's recruiting on a football game. He was saying things like 'go spend more time looking for the cornfed boys in nebraska, montana, dakota's etc.' This probably still works today - many of those guys are going to the NDSU's, etc.

If Spack can come up with a solid staff, demonstrate a recruiting plan, treat his players with respect and dignity, he could have some serious potential at Wyoming.

He is not a guy you would pay $1.2 million dollars a year too until he proved himself. He is a guy you would expect to surround himself with some very smart minds on all sides of the ball.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Why compete if things are as you say?
If things are this way? Of course they are. You honestly didn't think we can hire someone who doesn't want the job, do you?

Recognizing that doesn't really strike me as giving up. Every school deals with that, to one degree or another.
KansasPoke
Ranch Hand

What Marcuswyo stated is the truth.

We sit here and bitch but the only way things will improve at the top is by Poke fans giving more $$$ themselves or putting pressure on the BOT/State by written or vocal statements of our concerns/wants.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

SnowyRange wrote:
Why compete if things are as you say?
If things are this way? Of course they are. You honestly didn't think we can hire someone who doesn't want the job, do you?

Recognizing that doesn't really strike me as giving up. Every school deals with that, to one degree or another.
I bet you if we were going to put out there some really good funds for a HC salary and to fund the department it would greatly increase the number of people that would want the job and decrease the number that don't want it. You would be surprised as to how persuasive a well funded HC position and football program can be and how important money is in the decision process of who wants a job and who doesn't.

Your argument in a way is an excuse for being cheap, even though I don't expect you to see it that way....but if you justify not paying a lot, doesn't that limit the quality and number of coaches who would want the position?
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Tiller is saying that Spack is no longer up for the job. He may have interviewed and be turned down. Here is the story.
http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... mment-area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

KansasPoke wrote:What Marcuswyo stated is the truth.

We sit here and bitch but the only way things will improve at the top is by Poke fans giving more $$$ themselves or putting pressure on the BOT/State by written or vocal statements of our concerns/wants.
Have you ever tried writing to them? I have, and the few that I heard from thought Wyoming had an outstanding football program right now! How can you argue with people that don't deal with reality?

Sometimes you can pour money down a rat hole and it won't make any difference, you are aware of this I am sure? I need to be convinced that giving money to UW will be spent to really improve the athletic programs not to just keep mediocrity as the norm and right now with AD and BOT I am not convinced that they are committed to a winning program....talk is cheap and these people do a lot of talking but don't back it up!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

YankPoke wrote:Tiller is saying that Spack is no longer up for the job. He may have interviewed and be turned down. Here is the story.
http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... mment-area" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing against Spack personally, but I am pleased to read this.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

I bet the BOT would be all for increasing student fees to help fund assistant coach salaries. It would mean the legislator Doesnt foot the bill. Their only concern would be that the academics would get in a hissy fit about where that money would go to. If the BOT had the support of alums they would willing to increase student fees by 100 or 200 dollars. This would put in 1.3 to 2.3 million more in the budget which could directly impact issues with assistant coach salaries ( not many students would even notice).

Fans need to put in a little more as well. And be specific with your donation. Give it to football salaries not golf. Even an increase of 50 to 100 dollars is significant if it is done among 5k or so fans.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

I'm going to hold my praise/bitching until after we have a new coach....agree with the need for support from above and not just lip service but unfortunately it is what it is.....like everyone else I'm interested in the info Poke Pride is trying to confirm!
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

marcuswyo wrote:I bet the BOT would be all for increasing student fees to help fund assistant coach salaries. It would mean the legislator Doesnt foot the bill. Their only concern would be that the academics would get in a hissy fit about where that money would go to. If the BOT had the support of alums they would willing to increase student fees by 100 or 200 dollars. This would put in 1.3 to 2.3 million more in the budget which could directly impact issues with assistant coach salaries ( not many students would even notice).

Fans need to put in a little more as well. And be specific with your donation. Give it to football salaries not golf. Even an increase of 50 to 100 dollars is significant if it is done among 5k or so fans.
Had 25k in the stand for the Border War and probably could have received a lot of support going forward were it not for the egg laid by DC and the rest of the Pokes......hard to garner support from an effort like that.....and it went downhill from there!
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

marcuswyo wrote:I bet the BOT would be all for increasing student fees to help fund assistant coach salaries. It would mean the legislator Doesnt foot the bill. Their only concern would be that the academics would get in a hissy fit about where that money would go to. If the BOT had the support of alums they would willing to increase student fees by 100 or 200 dollars. This would put in 1.3 to 2.3 million more in the budget which could directly impact issues with assistant coach salaries ( not many students would even notice).

I hope that you are right that the BOT will see fit to raising the student fees to assist the football program. I agree the academic side at Wyoming has been anything but a friend to the athletic programs and the football program in particular. There are many in the academic side that wouldn't shed a tear if the football team went away and they do piss and moan and complain if they don't get a healthy percentage of every increase that comes the university's way and if there are any cuts the academic side believes that they athletic side should always be cut first and the most.

I need to know that the AD and BOT are actually trying to improve things and all of the flyers that I get requesting funds are going to be used to improve things and not just keep mediocrity live and well at UW. I need to know that we have the same goal, and that I am not just being fed a line to just get more money.....and frankly seeing what happens with this hire will give me a good indication if the administration is serious about improving things.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Pokes Forever wrote:I'm going to hold my praise/bitching until after we have a new coach....agree with the need for support from above and not just lip service but unfortunately it is what it is.....like everyone else I'm interested in the info Poke Pride is trying to confirm!
Your plan sounds like a good one, I get going sometimes and need to take a step back and wait and see what happens and that would be a good thing to do right now.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Thank you PotatoCreekPete you get it. Hire whoever, it will not really change anything until the legislature, bot and the administrators support UW athletes fully. End of story.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.