WTE- UW, its fans have too-high expectations

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I have high expectations for the WTE seeing it is in our state capital but they never fail to let everyone down.
OneMoreBeer
Buckaroo

I'd bet the editorial board of the WTE would also advocate for the changing of the welcome signs at the border from "Wyoming: Forever West" to "Wyoming: Forever Fair-to-middlin.'"
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:Author should have had to put their name with the pen.. total poop. Own your poop.
:thumb:
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

OneMoreBeer wrote:I'd bet the editorial board of the WTE would also advocate for the changing of the welcome signs at the border from "Wyoming: Forever West" to "Wyoming: Forever Fair-to-middlin.'"
:lol:

sounds like they would prefer "Welcome to Wyoming, lower your expectations, even us here in the Capitol think we stink" I can't believe a newspaper in Wyoming actually put this out. Especially from Cheyenne.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Fullback41 wrote:OK I had a monster response typed but it didn't post.

Why can't we compete? Who wrote this poop? Are you even from Wyoming? Way to have pride in your state. Way to have pride in the Univ of Wyo. Have you ever competed at anything in your life ever? answer has to be no. What a loser attitude.

The University should not commit to bettering the football team but lowering the fans expectations. Unbelievable. Replace the "Commitment to Excellence" banners with "Committed to lowering fans expectations" Why would any fan support a team whose administration is committed to trying to make you accept losing? This author is a dumbass.

Do us a favor and never write about athletics again loser. This paper sucks for actually using this crap. I know I will never send that crap rag a dime.

Why say we should commit the resources to mens basketball? why stop there? wouldn't you be more happy to quit all athletics except wrestling and womens basketball... then when they don't compete, quitting athletics at Wyoming altogether. Yep, we will be so much better then when we don't waste any precision money at all on UW athletics. You are so right, athletics don't generate any money, state pride, or opportunities at all.

Hands down the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.
While I respect and am in simpatico with your sentiments and purpose- this won't make a bit of difference. The only way to hurt media outlets is to go after their advertisers.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

MrTitleist wrote:Author should have had to put their name with the pen.. total poop. Own your poop.
Could be an Editorial Board piece.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Why can't we compete? Who wrote this poop? Are you even from Wyoming? Way to have pride in your state. Way to have pride in the Univ of Wyo. Have you ever competed at anything in your life ever? answer has to be no. What a loser attitude.

The University should not commit to bettering the football team but lowering the fans expectations. Unbelievable. Replace the "Commitment to Excellence" banners with "Committed to lowering fans expectations" Why would any fan support a team whose administration is committed to trying to make you accept losing? This author is a dumbass.

Do us a favor and never write about athletics again loser. This paper sucks for actually using this crap. I know I will never send that crap rag a dime.

Why say we should commit the resources to mens basketball? why stop there? wouldn't you be more happy to quit all athletics except wrestling and womens basketball... then when they don't compete, quitting athletics at Wyoming altogether. Yep, we will be so much better then when we don't waste any precision money at all on UW athletics. You are so right, athletics don't generate any money, state pride, or opportunities at all.

I typed a response as well. I'm hoping they just haven't been reviewed by the staff yet and will come up later.

This is war poke fans. Our athletics future depends on the outcome. We can't sit by idly while nerds like the author of this crap try to even a grudge they have from the jock stealing their lunch money in the third grade.

Wyoming athletics fans NEED to get active now. We need to bombard the newspapers with comments, opinion pieces, and editorials of our own that explain why the state needs Wyoming athletics to be successful. We need to talk to our legislature and governor and let them know our votes depend on their actions. We need to express to UW that our donations to the great university depend on how they decide to act in support of UW athletics.

It's time to get active Poke fans. The opposition nerds have ran this state for too long. It's time for war.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

From the movie THE PROGRAM

Regent Chairman: This is not a football vocational school. It's an institute for higher learning.
Coach Winters: Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I actually just had a funny thought in my head that we're demanding whomever wrote this editorial to put a name to their article as we're all here posting anonymously on a message board.. lol.
ImageImageImageImage
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:I actually just had a funny thought in my head that we're demanding whomever wrote this editorial to put a name to their article as we're all here posting anonymously on a message board.. lol.
I actually had the same thought.

Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Wyovanian wrote:

While I respect and am in simpatico with your sentiments and purpose- this won't make a bit of difference. The only way to hurt media outlets is to go after their advertisers.
I appreciate your input to this Forum.... it is well thought out and intelligent.

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

MrTitleist wrote:I actually just had a funny thought in my head that we're demanding whomever wrote this editorial to put a name to their article as we're all here posting anonymously on a message board.. lol.
Anonymous my ass. If people have been here long enough, they know my name from a stupid glitch from NCAA Football 2013. Also, from the tailgates I've been too with you and a few others on here.
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times

Still no comments posted on the op-ed. LOL. Cowards.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

It was Reed. He is an ignoramus. WTE is garbage.Why anyone even reads the editorials in that rag is beyond me.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

lakeside wrote:http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/201 ... umn214.txt

What a bunch of BS from the Cheyenne rag!
What is the complaint?

I agree that there are more important uses for taxpayer money that to try to buy football championships and BCS bowl berths. Remember, this is money that the state takes from people and businesses by using the threat that they will be sent to jail or put out of business if the money is not given over to the state. We often hear about distinguishing between "needs" and "wants" when organizations approach the legislature with hands extended asking for money.

The other thing to realize about this column is that this is probably the view of many people who's money the athletic department must ask for. We know about how many people live vicariously through the UW football program and also live within driving distance of Laramie. The level of support we saw at the Hawai'i game is not enough to support a program that will make a BCS run.

I disagree about whether UW can or will win the MWC football title again. I believe it can and will happen again. On the other hand, we just fired a coach who took the team to two bowl games in 5 years and many are complaining about hiring a guy who's teams lost two games in three years.

What is the realistic measure of a successful hire? I am looking for the things that the AD has to worry about like ticket sales, average attendance, donations, net profit margin, etc. The AD has to build for the long term and wins at the expense of APR failures, scholarship penalties, or even some type of probation does not do the trick.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WyoExpat wrote: What is the realistic measure of a successful hire? I am looking for the things that the AD has to worry about like ticket sales, average attendance, donations, net profit margin, etc. The AD has to build for the long term and wins at the expense of APR failures, scholarship penalties, or even some type of probation does not do the trick.
You do realize that there are ways to win without doing those things, right? You also realize that success drives ticket sales, attendance, donations, and profit margins, right?

I equate it to curb appeal for a house. It isn't necessarily a functional component of the house, but it darn sure increases the value. Athletics are the front door for the University; particularly a public Land Grant University.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Guess I don't understand how MY expecations are supposed to be??? Sure I want to matter, but the only way it ever gets better is if the big boys have their own playoff system and the lesser haves have their own playoff system etc....even though it gives us good paydays to play the big boys once this stops and they continue beating up on each other, this is never going to change. If we truly had a golden ring to chase, then things might be better
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Anonymous my ass. If people have been here long enough, they know my name from a stupid glitch from NCAA Football 2013. Also, from the tailgates I've been too with you and a few others on here.
I was thinking the same thing. All you guys know exactly who I am. I'm certainly no one special, just a dude that is a Wyoming fan that happens to have a poop motorhome (which is useful as a landmark for tailgating).
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

I have to assume - since the author didn't put their name on the article - that this was the writing of the editor of the WTE and it reflects the feelings of the WTE. It also shows that the WTE is not loyal to the State of Wyoming which has only one 4 year University which represents the entire State of Wyoming. I hope for the WTE's sake they have a lot of subscribers & advertisers in the states of Colorado & Nebraska, because I doubt they will have many in the State of Wyoming after this article. I can't believe you work for this newspaper Gags.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.