I'm told it is no pipe dream

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

whyoh wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:Cue the irrational exuberance. :roll:
did BP just log in?
Right now, Dino's making BP look like the skeptical voice of reason.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:
whyoh wrote:
did BP just log in?
lol
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Wyovanian wrote:
whyoh wrote:
did BP just log in?
I am?

I printed what I was told by the same person who had Bohl in Laramie HOURS before anyone else found out about it and it was revealed on this website.

I also printed a story from a Fargo newspaper that I found while surfing earlier this morning that mentions what we are talking about.

I never claimed this is going to happen - and in revealing on my thread Saturday (while telling everyone what I was told about the Bohl story) that I was told Bohl would become the coach, if you go back and check that thread I said I didn't believe it would happen - then it did!

Because of what I was told about Bohl and it came to fruition, it is the ONLY reason I went to print with this issue and what I was informed of...again, by the same person who broke the Bohl news to me before it was announced.

As for BP, leave him alone, I've actually enjoyed his posts of late.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

If Wyoming wasn't lobbying for B12, I'd be disappointed
W-Y, Until I Die!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Poke in Billings wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Why don't we try winning the MWC before entertaining thoughts of moving to a big conference. I live it Big 12 country, and have heard no notion of this.
I for one, do not think our programs are ready. TCU, who was a perennial power in the MWC has not had a winning season yet in either basketball or football since the move.
Utah, is the the same with the PAC 12.
If we move, we would be at the bottom of the league competing with KU and ISU for last year after year. And for what, a decent media check? Not worth it.
The thought of this is laughable. Almost in comparison to SDSU having a couple of winning seasons and thinking they should be great in a move to a BCS conference last year. We don't need that here.
Now, before I get bombed on, Utah and TCU seemed primed and ready for such moves, but has derailed since. We're just not there yet.
This^. Nothing wrong with aspiring for greatness as long as you keep a foot grounded in reality. The Mountain West as it currently exists, is a great place for us to compete and attempt to build. Who knows what conference realignment looks like down the road. All we know is that it is changing all the time, and that the difference between the haves and have nots has been rapidly getting greater.
In the big picture of things I agree with you guys and I bet UW leadership does too. The athletic department really isn't in the kind of shape it needs to be right now for a move to the Big 12. The problem is, waiting is not an option. There will be a line drawn in the sand soon and we will have to be on the right side of it. We're clowning on the FCS fans that have shown up here post-Bohl hire, but the fact is the P5 will form their own division and leave the MWCs and MACs of the world in purgatory sooner than later. If the Big 12 expands we would be crazy not to lobby for inclusion and, if accepted, reinvest the TV money into athletics and take a long view towards building it up. "A decent media check" = 4-5 times our current media check and 50-75% of our current overall athletics budget - think about that. So I absolutely believe it would be criminally negligent to NOT try for admission to the Big 12.

To be clear, the Big 12 schools are going to chuckle softly to themselves, pat us on the head, and kindly tell us to enjoy whatever it is you'll want to call the division between FBS and FCS. So this discussion is purely academic.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

There sure is an aweful lot of chatter about this throughout the net. Would not be surprised if it were true and would not be surprised if it was literally just rumors. Excited none the less either way. With Bohl at the helm we should be on our way up in the MWC and if we do move to the BIGXII then more power to us and lets cheer all the more.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Cowduck wrote: The problem is, waiting is not an option. There will be a line drawn in the sand soon and we will have to be on the right side of it. We're clowning on the FCS fans that have shown up here post-Bohl hire, but the fact is the P5 will form their own division and leave the MWCs and MACs of the world in purgatory sooner than later.
Yep, but I think that ship has sailed except for a maybe a few programs in big markets. Here is a recollection/speculation of why the first split occurred:
To many smaller conferences, ones which did not have the size and wealth to outbid the larger schools for television time, the NCAA’s decision to allow its member colleges to determine their own television appearances was damaging.

This laissez faire television arrangement policy helped forge the gap between Division I schools, making a split necessary.

The schools with large football programs, a broad base of fan support and a deep pocketbook were able to make television arrangements which would likely help them to sustain and even expand their already well-developed football programs.

Meeting the stadium, attendance, financial aid and numerous other Division I criteria, especially when television revenues were included in the picture, was not a problem for these schools.

For the smaller schools, those which did not have the resources to land profitable television contracts, keeping up with the big boys was virtually impossible.

Since such a gap was forged between the schools with the means to gain television access and those without them, the NCAA split Division I football into two categories.
That is happening again to an extent; funny how history repeats itself. The nail in the coffin will be requirements for paying athletes or some other resource consuming mandate. The big dogs will be able to afford it; we won't.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
Cheywypoke wrote:The only way this makes sense is if Wyoming is considered part of the Denver/Colorado television market. Doesn't most of Wyoming receive Denver stations on their cable systems?
Laramie and Cheyenne do.
Actually only Laramie does now.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

I do not see this happening but if it did I would say that it would have to be Wyoming, Colorado State and Air Force going. It would give the conference the Rocky Mountain region (after losing Colorado) and it would keep the rivalries alive between the thee schools.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

aranderson wrote:There sure is an aweful lot of chatter about this throughout the net. Would not be surprised if it were true and would not be surprised if it was literally just rumors. Excited none the less either way. With Bohl at the helm we should be on our way up in the MWC and if we do move to the BIGXII then more power to us and lets cheer all the more.
Has it occurred to anyone that all the "chatter" might have originated from here and the misinformed NDSU press and fan boards?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:
whyoh wrote:
did BP just log in?
I am?

I printed what I was told by the same person who had Bohl in Laramie HOURS before anyone else found out about it and it was revealed on this website.

I also printed a story from a Fargo newspaper that I found while surfing earlier this morning that mentions what we are talking about.

I never claimed this is going to happen - and in revealing on my thread Saturday (while telling everyone what I was told about the Bohl story) that I was told Bohl would become the coach, if you go back and check that thread I said I didn't believe it would happen - then it did!

Because of what I was told about Bohl and it came to fruition, it is the ONLY reason I went to print with this issue and what I was informed of...again, by the same person who broke the Bohl news to me before it was announced.

As for BP, leave him alone, I've actually enjoyed his posts of late.
It's not just the content (which I'd still argue is dubious at best) as much as it's the frothing tone.

And I'll leave it to Beaver when I want to, and I won't when I don't...

:coffee:
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Although we can't win consistently in the MWC, it would still be awesome to be in the Big12.
Winning 4-6 games a year in the Big12 is a lot better than winning 4-6 in the MWC.
And if we do get the occasional good year, playing a weak schedule, we could end up in a Fiesta Bowl.

Wyo would easily average 28K per game if fanbases like Oklahoma, OK-ST, Tech, and Texas were coming.
We wouldn't average 28K WYO fans, but the tickets would be sold.

Just imagine playing those teams on a consistent basis, it would be awesome! Hoops and football!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Although we can't win consistently in the MWC, it would still be awesome to be in the Big12.
Winning 4-6 games a year in the Big12 is a lot better than winning 4-6 in the MWC.
And if we do get the occasional good year, playing a weak schedule, we could end up in a Fiesta Bowl.

Wyo would easily average 28K per game if fanbases like Oklahoma, OK-ST, Tech, and Texas were coming.

Just imagine playing those teams on a consistent basis, it would be awesome! Hoops and football!
Diminished expectations- thy name is Wyoming Cowboys Fan...
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Although we can't win consistently in the MWC, it would still be awesome to be in the Big12.

And it would be easier to recruit here....Players will want to play in poop laramie in the big 12 more than playing in laramie in the MWC...just saying
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

HR_Poke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Cheywypoke wrote:The only way this makes sense is if Wyoming is considered part of the Denver/Colorado television market. Doesn't most of Wyoming receive Denver stations on their cable systems?
Laramie and Cheyenne do.
Cheyenne is in it's own DMA and after a lenghty lawsuit no longer carries Denver channels because it is unfair to the local channels to have to compete against bigger and better stations.
I live in Cheyenne and have Charter Cable and still get KUSA (channel 9) out of Denver, and I believe Channel 2 the independent station. But now that I think about it channels 7 and 4 are not available.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

Yeah, hey, this would all be great except for one small issue.............WE WOULDN'T WIN A GAME EVER! LOL
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote:

Diminished expectations? I'm talking about Wyoming going to the Big12 and averaging a higher attendance than EVER before. How in the hell is that diminished expectations?

:popcorn:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:

Diminished expectations? I'm talking about Wyoming going to the Big12 and averaging a higher attendance than EVER before. How in the hell is that diminished expectations?

:popcorn:
And winning 4-6 games a year.

Sorry, but I wouldn't settle for that, and you won't average 28K fans for long without competing for championships.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:

And it would be easier to recruit here....Players will want to play in poop laramie in the big 12 more than playing in laramie in the MWC...just saying
I hope you are referencing an outside perspective of Laramie (i.e. a recruit who has never been to Laramie).

Because, I don't think there is anything poop about Laramie at all (other than the wind in the winter). Laramie is a great college town!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I never said I wanted to win 4-6 games. I never said I would settle for that.
All I said was that winning 4-6 in the Big12 is a lot better than winning 4-6 in the MWC.
That is a fact. That doesn't mean I am hoping we only win 4-6....

And no we wouldn't average 28K for long, but the first few seasons when we are a new team, and those fan bases want to come travel and check it out we would.