Realistic Expectations for 2014

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:5-7. Tough schedule and a transition year.
+1 That physical brand of football won't just appear over night. Wyoming got destroyed by physical teams in 2013. This will take time for Bohl. A bowl game would be a massive success.
About how I'm seeing it. We do have a lot of guys coming off of redshirt seasons, especially on the d-line, so maybe they can help.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

If I had to bet, 3-5 wins with that schedule and a new system.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I think the real problem is that we do not have enough depth and size along the lines. Also, do we have enough secondary speed to get into position to make tackles?

I expect things like tackling can be fixed over the offseason. My point of reference is the Tiller years between the K-State Copper Bowl loss and the 1996 season. In each of those years there was a basic fundamental flaw that cost us games but that was corrected the following year. One year it was tackling. One year it was turnovers, I think that we had one year that we were among the most penalized teams in the WAC. Each year the preceding year's major problem was fixed. By 1996 we not only fixed those problems, but we got faster on defense.

The real problem going into next year is that I do not think that the new staff has very many scholarships to work with. I expect to see several defensive linemen in the next class along with TE, FB and corners. If we only have 11 seniors plus 3 defections that I remember, I do not know if there are enough scholarships to round out the class apart from forced attrition. I think the D-line and cornerbacks will go a long way toward determining whether we are 4-8 or 7-5.

The other issue is if the NDSU D-coordinator stays in Fargo, this could end up like when Joe Glenn's OC stayed in Montana to take over that program with Coach Glenn moved to Laramie.

My guess is that both Boise State and Oregon are on their way to coming back to the pack given the coaching changes.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

LasCrucesPoke wrote:If we tackle like we did last year, Craig Bohl will make them practice tackling 2 hours a day.
this is truly needed, practice, practice, practice......and shutting the run down
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I had stated for the 2013 season, that 7-5 would be a miracle finish and 6-6 most likely. I was wrong (thanks Dave)
For 2014 I see 6-6 as being probably the best to expect. Great JC recruits on the O-line could change my prediction.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WyoExpat wrote:I think the real problem is that we do not have enough depth and size along the lines. Also, do we have enough secondary speed to get into position to make tackles?

I expect things like tackling can be fixed over the offseason. My point of reference is the Tiller years between the K-State Copper Bowl loss and the 1996 season. In each of those years there was a basic fundamental flaw that cost us games but that was corrected the following year. One year it was tackling. One year it was turnovers, I think that we had one year that we were among the most penalized teams in the WAC. Each year the preceding year's major problem was fixed. By 1996 we not only fixed those problems, but we got faster on defense.

The real problem going into next year is that I do not think that the new staff has very many scholarships to work with. I expect to see several defensive linemen in the next class along with TE, FB and corners. If we only have 11 seniors plus 3 defections that I remember, I do not know if there are enough scholarships to round out the class apart from forced attrition. I think the D-line and cornerbacks will go a long way toward determining whether we are 4-8 or 7-5.

The other issue is if the NDSU D-coordinator stays in Fargo, this could end up like when Joe Glenn's OC stayed in Montana to take over that program with Coach Glenn moved to Laramie.

My guess is that both Boise State and Oregon are on their way to coming back to the pack given the coaching changes.
12 graduate, but only 3 commits so far.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

WyoExpat wrote: My guess is that both Boise State and Oregon are on their way to coming back to the pack given the coaching changes.
Oregon is not coming back to the pack in 2014. They'll return 9 starters on offense, including healthy Mariota. Losses are more significant on defense (5 returning starters) but being a defensive starter at Oregon is almost as meaningless as being a starter in hockey, they rotate bodies so much.

I think we win no more than 7 games next season.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

I predict 4-8....I hope it's better, but that's what I expect.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

Is beating Colorado State to much to ask?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

CowboyNV wrote:I predict 4-8....I hope it's better, but that's what I expect.
Mark. You have learned in your old age.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

Just improving the special teams and defense should get us 2 more wins.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Very possible. O-line though NEEDS to be improved, period. But it sounds like Bohl will do that.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WYCowboy wrote:Just improving the special teams and defense should get us 2 more wins.
My concern is that, for the most part, we get the "good" teams at home and the "bad" teams on the road. Normally, that is a good thing, but for next year it concerns me. We do get AF at home so that is good. However, I worry about trips to NM and HI. We win those in Laramie, but a toss up on the road, IMO. For home games, I like Montana and FA (along with AF). I think BSU, USU, and even SJSU are not great matchups.

If we had NM and HI at our place, I would agree our chances are decent for getting 6 wins (MT, FA, AF, NM, HI, and sneak another somewhere). I like our chances less with our schedule next year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Well, SJSU loses Fales.
The Virginian
Cowpoke

I think 5 to 7 wins is in the realm of possibility.

BTW, Tom Burman on his talk with KFBC yesterday was asked about adding a 13th game. He responded that he didn't think so with the difficult schedule and the fact it's hard to get teams to start series in Laramie -- He didn't want to add another road game. He said he'd talk with Coach Bohl, but his sense at this point is no 13th game.
This post submitted anonymously by Jeff Fry aka DCPoke
Cowduck
Cowpoke

WYCowboy wrote:Just improving the special teams and defense should get us 2 more wins.
"Just" improving the special teams and defense. That's all we gotta do, no big task or anything.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

Cowduck wrote:
"Just" improving the special teams and defense. That's all we gotta do, no big task or anything.
Where do you start with them? There are so many places on both of them that need improvement, just choose anything.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

WYCowboy wrote:
Cowduck wrote:
Where do you start with them? There are so many places on both of them that need improvement, just choose anything.
Well yeah, that's what I'm saying. Both were so abysmal this year (especially in the second half of the season) that both have to get way better before it's worth a two win improvement. Improving them to that degree will be a pretty big undertaking.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:
Cowduck wrote:
There's no where else to go but up! They were so god
Awful that there's no real way to get worse...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:
Cowduck wrote:
There's no where else to go but up! They were so god
Awful that there's no real way to get worse...
We've been saying that for a few years though...