I'm told it is no pipe dream

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

Hayduke wrote:
Cowduck wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
DocHolliday wrote: Some of your points against are pretty effective and hard to argue, J-Rod, I'll agree with that.

I'm only reporting what I was told...lets see what happens.
lol I hear you Dino.....I'm just saying, whoever told you that....is well over the legal limit on kool aid.
Not really. Doc's post say Wyoming wants to be in on Big 12's next round of expansion and has had very informal conversations with the Big 12 about that. I guarantee that much is true. The OP says nothing about the interest being reciprocated by the Big 12. Because that would be crazy.
I hate to say, but I would believe CSU going to the Big 12 much more than Wyoming. Media market and all. They would at least have a shot at the Denver market. It's all about TV....
There are all kinds of reasons you could talk me into Wyoming, CSU, Air Force, and New Mexico --> Big 12 making sense. And I really believe those four schools go as a block or they don't go at all. And I bet they all would love to go to the Big 12 and would arrange for every president and AD of every Big 12 institution plus the commissioner to be fellated daily for the next decade if that would make it happen.

Except the whole TV $$$ thing. Which is everything. That's why Wyoming is not going to the Big 12.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Cowduck wrote:. And I bet they all would love to go to the Big 12 and would arrange for every president and AD of every Big 12 institution plus the commissioner to be fellated daily for the next decade if that would make it happen.

Except the whole TV $$$ thing. Which is everything. That's why Wyoming is not going to the Big 12.
Don't do that. Seriously...milk out my nose...

:rofl:

That has been the drawback of Wyoming..media market. Unfortunately, here in Fort Collins the land grabbing and building continues...
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 4 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:I would buy every member on this board a beer if true.

I just don't see anything that we add to the Big 12 (outside of wrestling) and why the Big 12 would want to add a school in a small media market that makes travel for the conference more difficult. We have a great and passionate fan base and there is no denying that; but that alone cannot be enough.

I guess the only thing that makes any sense is some sort of potential deal we got going with gasp BYU. Perhaps BYU, Wyoming, CSU and Air Force working together again (ala the airport).
Swap New Mexico for Air Force and it'd have a better chance of going down.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Why don't we try winning the MWC before entertaining thoughts of moving to a big conference. I live it Big 12 country, and have heard no notion of this.
I for one, do not think our programs are ready. TCU, who was a perennial power in the MWC has not had a winning season yet in either basketball or football since the move.
Utah, is the the same with the PAC 12.
If we move, we would be at the bottom of the league competing with KU and ISU for last year after year. And for what, a decent media check? Not worth it.
The thought of this is laughable. Almost in comparison to SDSU having a couple of winning seasons and thinking they should be great in a move to a BCS conference last year. We don't need that here.
Now, before I get bombed on, Utah and TCU seemed primed and ready for such moves, but has derailed since. We're just not there yet.
Poke in Billings
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

kansasCowboy wrote:Why don't we try winning the MWC before entertaining thoughts of moving to a big conference. I live it Big 12 country, and have heard no notion of this.
I for one, do not think our programs are ready. TCU, who was a perennial power in the MWC has not had a winning season yet in either basketball or football since the move.
Utah, is the the same with the PAC 12.
If we move, we would be at the bottom of the league competing with KU and ISU for last year after year. And for what, a decent media check? Not worth it.
The thought of this is laughable. Almost in comparison to SDSU having a couple of winning seasons and thinking they should be great in a move to a BCS conference last year. We don't need that here.
Now, before I get bombed on, Utah and TCU seemed primed and ready for such moves, but has derailed since. We're just not there yet.
This^. Nothing wrong with aspiring for greatness as long as you keep a foot grounded in reality. The Mountain West as it currently exists, is a great place for us to compete and attempt to build. Who knows what conference realignment looks like down the road. All we know is that it is changing all the time, and that the difference between the haves and have nots has been rapidly getting greater.
ragtimeJOE
Buckaroo

Every GO5 member is aspiring to join the big dogs. Our stadium won't even hold the lowest average attendance in the Big12, and we don't even fill that. We have 0 to offer from a TV market.

We are closer grouped with Idaho and New Mexico State than we are to even the bottom of the Big 12. The only way it would ever happen is if the NCAA mandates it by some sort of drastic restructuring of college football.

So in other words, yes it is a pipe dream. I'm glad that at least some are thinking big, but it most certainly ends there.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Maybe this is the huge announcement vorel was hinting.... ;)
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 41 times

yup, ragtime, the NCAA can be pretty domineering. wouldn't put it past them to mandate some kind of realignment at some point. jackasses. yeah, i am talking to you NCAA, I am hostile and abusive! Just like those damn indian tribe mascots.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

This morning I went to the newspaper in Fargo looking to see what they might be saying about Bohl and I read this story http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... up/sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - then when looking for something else I read this story http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... sher_ID/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and in it I was amazed to find a mention of what we are talking about on this thread. Check it out.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

DocHolliday wrote:This morning I went to the newspaper in Fargo looking to see what they might be saying about Bohl and I read this story http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... up/sports/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - then when looking for something else I read this story http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id ... sher_ID/1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and in it I was amazed to find a mention of what we are talking about on this thread. Check it out.
"rumors that Wyoming is lobbying"

That is all you need to read. Like I said, any and every AD in the GO5 ranks is lobbying or should be. I would love to be wrong, but I will guarantee there is 0 interest reciprocated from the Big 12. None. Nada. Zilch.

This is nothing more than one fan base trying to rationalize why their leader would make what they consider to be a lateral move.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

I just don't see how any of this is news. Every team in this conference is lobbying to get into one of the big conferences, since we all know there will only be four of them eventually and anyone who isn't in one of them will be SOL.
CitizenCane
Buckaroo

I don't know. I came across this that explains more than sore NDSU fans trying to come up with excuses why their coach would leave. Maybe there is something to it.

http://theoatmeal.com/djtaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Maybe just the MWC and Big 12 expand together and share that revenue, I've heard wrestling is trying to move there for a better schedule etc, but us in the Big 12, smallest market in the US, just would not make sense if it's just us jumping ship, except for a share of that TV $$$, but what good would it do if most games are on the Longhorn Network and no one outside the state of Texas doesn't get it.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

The only way this makes sense is if Wyoming is considered part of the Denver/Colorado television market. Doesn't most of Wyoming receive Denver stations on their cable systems?
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Cheywypoke wrote:The only way this makes sense is if Wyoming is considered part of the Denver/Colorado television market. Doesn't most of Wyoming receive Denver stations on their cable systems?
Laramie and Cheyenne do.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Big 12 money would be nice but call me a traditionalist.... I don't want to lose our front range rivalries. Whatever keeps us aligned with CSU, AFA, UNM, and Boise is fine with me.
I'm good for 3!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Cue the irrational exuberance. :roll:
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote:
Cheywypoke wrote:The only way this makes sense is if Wyoming is considered part of the Denver/Colorado television market. Doesn't most of Wyoming receive Denver stations on their cable systems?
Laramie and Cheyenne do.
Cheyenne is in it's own DMA and after a lenghty lawsuit no longer carries Denver channels because it is unfair to the local channels to have to compete against bigger and better stations.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote:Cue the irrational exuberance. :roll:
did BP just log in?
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
BJC
A Real Cowboy

CitizenCane wrote:I don't know. I came across this that explains more than sore NDSU fans trying to come up with excuses why their coach would leave. Maybe there is something to it.

http://theoatmeal.com/djtaf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love The Oatmeal!!!!!!!!!! :lol: