Enough with the douche bag ushers/security people!

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

You could search for and read the Duke University avuncular letter from January 17, 1984.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10567965

Video/story on student sections/incidents
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

LasCrucesPoke wrote:http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10567965

Video/story on student sections/incidents
Thanks for the link.

I think the bottom line is just to keep things basketball related and realize that there are children that can hear what you say.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

That letter I mentioned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeyearlook/12039383323/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

MrTitleist wrote:
DVDA wrote:I'm friends with the guys who got kicked out. The first two were kicked out for dropping f-bombs. The funny thing is they had only done it a couple times but my friend has a history with the douche bag in the beige shirt so he instantly locked in on him. I don't have a problem with someone getting kicked out for dropping f-bombs unless it is the "f-word you CSU" chant. They deserved to be kicked out for the f-bombs, but the other guys didn't.

The geriatric f-word who can barely walk decided to kick out the next couple guys for starting the "it sucks to be a CSU ram" chant. That is beyond stupid and that old bastard needs to find a new job. There is nothing wrong with that chant. It's funny though that a group behind us started a few chants during the game and were never bothered. Did anyone else get kicked out? I didn't see anyone else get the boot. I feel like these assholes decided they were going to eject my friends before the game even started.
Did you go to the game w/ my brother? I forget who he was meeting up w/ down there.

Hasn't the student section been doing the "sucks to be a CSU Ram" thing for a while? That's probably one of the better student section created chants in a while.. not like our college days when it was "F you BYU" for two straight hours.
He stayed on my couch while he was down here. We were sitting right behind the guys that were kicked out. This is my second year at UW so I couldn't tell you how long they have been doing the "sucks to be a CSU Ram" chant. It's a good one though and pretty ridiculous they kicked someone out for starting it.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Ya'll do realize this happens in other arenas, right? God forbid the University tries to show some control.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
Hayduke
Cowpoke

alyssa wrote:You could search for and read the Duke University avuncular letter from January 17, 1984.
Here it is..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dukeyearlook/12039383323/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

He nailed it.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

The ushers were most likely told in a meeting to crack down on this sort of thing and this particular usher probably felt compelled to do something when others might not have.

I'd write a POLITE e-mail to Burman or an assistant AD and address the issue if you are concerned about it. Ask them what is crossing the line and that you feel the "it sucks to be a CSU ram" chant is certainly taunting but shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Maybe next time they have a training for the ushers, they'll get more specific as to what is to be allowed.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

All I'll ask on this subject is where the hell was Burman when the "slick haired one" was dropping f-bomb after f-bomb while he was coaching? Can't recall how many times he could be clearly heard on the TV screaming vulgarities.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

zappinpoke wrote:All I'll ask on this subject is where the hell was Burman when the "slick haired one" was dropping f-bomb after f-bomb while he was coaching? Can't recall how many times he could be clearly heard on the TV screaming vulgarities.
Not to defend either of them, but every coach in America does that, far from unique to cdc.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

I can understand some of the derogotory chants, Alcoholic isn't with any class, but it was the way those "vultures" were circling the student section just waiting to hear something to kick our kids out, IT's the LAST game of the season, it's a rivalry game. I've sat almost in the same seat all season long in the student section, I get very into the game and fbombs and other things fly, but it's done by being a fan and not trying to show somebody up. That one "fossil" usher, he was bring the cops up with him and as he was walking by I made a statement, by saying, "earning your paycheck today" boy if looks could kill.
I agree our student section needs to reinvent itself, come up with more creativity and maybe watch other games of SDSU, Duke and other big schools to see what it takes to be good student sections.
Take that away from our students what do we got then??? if i wanted to go to the library and sit on my hands, i'd go there, I come to the games with passion and the want to win, and my creativity and desire only wants to try to help my Cowboys win. Time to relax Landmark security and UW.....what a bunch of softies
YankPoke
Cowpoke

If these ushers were at other colleges they would kick out the entire student section. It is almost as if they have never been to a sporting event outside of an elementary school girl's basketball game. The fact that they are ejecting students for chanting it sucks to be a CSU ram is pathetic. That is one of the reasons why our student section is terrible, you can't chant anything directed at the opposing team or you will be ejected from the arena, that is sports people. My high school student section chanted way worse things than we do that will get us kicked out. The only enforcement they should be doing is if it is crossing the line, or if things get physical, neither of which were ever close to happening at that game.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

zappinpoke wrote:All I'll ask on this subject is where the hell was Burman when the "slick haired one" was dropping f-bomb after f-bomb while he was coaching? Can't recall how many times he could be clearly heard on the TV screaming vulgarities.
Agreed. One of the reasons aside from his terrible teams we dropped our tickets his last year. His vulgarity was worse than any other coach I have ever heard. And it wasn't motivational it was most times just hurtful. When we could hear it clear as day from over portal 13 it was ridiculous
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

YankPoke wrote:If these ushers were at other colleges they would kick out the entire student section. It is almost as if they have never been to a sporting event outside of an elementary school girl's basketball game. The fact that they are ejecting students for chanting it sucks to be a CSU ram is pathetic. That is one of the reasons why our student section is terrible, you can't chant anything directed at the opposing team or you will be ejected from the arena, that is sports people. My high school student section chanted way worse things than we do that will get us kicked out. The only enforcement they should be doing is if it is crossing the line, or if things get physical, neither of which were ever close to happening at that game.
Kids get kicked out of The Show all the time. I'll say it again.. IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE. Get over it.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

I'm happy to say, when I was an Usher, I was normally the guy that did the student section, I never asked people to leave. I did however ask some people not to sit on the seats or leave food and drinks on the overhangs of the tunnels going in, as those were safety violations.

I did however ask a couple from BYU to get out of the student section and go sit in the seats they got tickets for.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Who cares if kids hear cuss words at a Wyoming game? The f-word enters the common, playground vernacular around 3rd or 4th grade. I guarantee that 10-year-olds aren't asking their dad what the F U BYU chant means. In fact, they probably think it's the coolest thing they've ever heard.

Wyoming used to have a home advantage because opposing teams feared for their safety when visiting Laramie. Now you can't even chant, "I said it sucks to be a CSU ram." No wonder nobody shows up to games anymore. They used to be an event. A party for people that don't even care about sports. They were the place to be. Now, unless you're a basketball enthusiast, there's nothing fun about being in the AA. At least football has the tailgating aspect. That's probably why we average over 20,000 fans per game for a poop football team and can't get 5,000 for a very good and very exciting basketball team.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Who cares if kids hear cuss words at a Wyoming game? The f-word enters the common, playground vernacular around 3rd or 4th grade. I guarantee that 10-year-olds aren't asking their dad what the F U BYU chant means. In fact, they probably think it's the coolest thing they've ever heard.

Wyoming used to have a home advantage because opposing teams feared for their safety when visiting Laramie. Now you can't even chant, "I said it sucks to be a CSU ram." No wonder nobody shows up to games anymore. They used to be an event. A party for people that don't even care about sports. They were the place to be. Now, unless you're a basketball enthusiast, there's nothing fun about being in the AA. At least football has the tailgating aspect. That's probably why we average over 20,000 fans per game for a poop football team and can't get 5,000 for a very good and very exciting basketball team.
+1

Why would a casual fan (student fan) go to the game if the event atmosphere is poop? Every game used to be a party event for students now it is an event geared towards families and old people I guess. Problem is that those people don't consistently show up.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I remember my very first Wyoming vs CSU Football game I was 7 or 8 and someone on the CSU side got injured and the entire crowd erupted with " He's Down, He's Down and He's all f-word up " at that age I didn't know better really but chanted along none the less.

My dad wasn't as assumed as my sister.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

I just don't know, man. Wanting people to literally fear for their safety isn't my idea of a great atmosphere.

Our atmosphere sucks, I'll give you that, but it doesn't have to be violent and vulgar to be an amazing place to play. I'll be embarrassed if we resorted back to (allegedly) throwing piss bombs at players. chanting nothing creative but F-U BYU for 2 straight hours, and being known as the drunk rednecks of the conference.

(I'm ok with being drunk rednecks, but smart, clever, entertaining ones)