Landmark...jeezus

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

But...I can't help but think that UW could use the UW ticket office to facilitate this...and if it gets big enough and is successful, follow the stubhub model. UW ticket office has 2 full time staff members, and a bunch of part timers that could make this happen instead of playing candy crush at their desks all day.
Do you know of any school that has set up such an exchange?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 127 times

SnowyRange wrote:
But...I can't help but think that UW could use the UW ticket office to facilitate this...and if it gets big enough and is successful, follow the stubhub model. UW ticket office has 2 full time staff members, and a bunch of part timers that could make this happen instead of playing candy crush at their desks all day.
Not off the top of my head - I will look around. I also don't know of any school that has our "problem" and went through the seating debacle as UW did.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Not off the top of my head - I will look around.
I will snoop around too. I ask the question for the basic reasons:

1. If others are doing it, no one has to reinvent the wheel.

2. If others are doing it, then you can figure out if it really makes a difference...or if it's just a nice way to get a few tickets to Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or something similar.

3. If it's not being done very much, there are probably good reasons for it.

By the way, I disagree that other schools don't have the same issue. I've yet to be around or hear of a program -- except schools that sell out every game -- where the hoi polloi don't bitch about the fat cats not filling their season-ticketed good seats.
hithere
Ranch Hand

SnowyRange wrote:
Not off the top of my head - I will look around.
I will snoop around too. I ask the question for the basic reasons:

1. If others are doing it, no one has to reinvent the wheel.

2. If others are doing it, then you can figure out if it really makes a difference...or if it's just a nice way to get a few tickets to Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or something similar.

3. If it's not being done very much, there are probably good reasons for it.

By the way, I disagree that other schools don't have the same issue. I've yet to be around or hear of a program -- except schools that sell out every game -- where the hoi polloi don't bitch about the fat cats not filling their season-ticketed good seats.
Or...

Tom Burman could think up a new system that specializes in catering to disaffected Wyoming fans instead of having to use a boiler plate from another school. Because Wyoming is special, unique, TUFF, at 7,220 ft. elevation, needs more birthdays, never paying a coach $1 million dollars, etc., etc., etc...

I just had a good laugh envisioning Burman with his crackpot staff brainstorming of ways to run an athletic department. His tongue was out, his staff was wearing rainbow suspenders and everyone was scratching their head and drooling.

Good times.
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

http://www.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down to college athletics. I am sure the schools get to wet their beak on each transaction.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Bump

I attended a Denver Nuggets game yesterday and had lower bowl tickets. Now obviously the Nugs aren't too hot of ticket this day. I would say the attendance was proportionally similar to the average Wyoming game this year. Not once was I hassled for my ticket despite getting up to go the bathroom several times. I noticed a couple sitting a few rows in front of us and in the 2nd quarter the real ticket holders must have shown up and asked them to move. They got up and moved without incident and everyone was still happy. Aside from the fact that I care a gazillion more times about the Pokes than I do NBa basketball, the experience of attending the game was so much better. I could also simply drive to the Pepsi center in park in one of the thousands of parking spots in the lot adjacent to the Pepsi center that are there specifically for events at the Pepsi center instead of having to park 8 blocks away and walk past hundreds of empty parking spaces adjacent to the AA on the way in. What a novel idea!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:
SnowyRange wrote:
Not off the top of my head - I will look around. I also don't know of any school that has our "problem" and went through the seating debacle as UW did.
University of Oregon does.

Heard it on the radio.

Went something like this... "have tickets for the ducks basketball game and can't make it? Call our ticket exchange number 1-800-suckstobeaduck and we will give your unused tickets to deserving Eugene area elementary school students".

So... does 2 things. Ticket exchange. Gets kids to go to duck games aka get fans for the future.
Pretty sure it was peaches who said Wyo should do this exact thing.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

calpoke25 wrote:Bump

I attended a Denver Nuggets game yesterday and had lower bowl tickets. Now obviously the Nugs aren't too hot of ticket this day. I would say the attendance was proportionally similar to the average Wyoming game this year. Not once was I hassled for my ticket despite getting up to go the bathroom several times. I noticed a couple sitting a few rows in front of us and in the 2nd quarter the real ticket holders must have shown up and asked them to move. They got up and moved without incident and everyone was still happy. Aside from the fact that I care a gazillion more times about the Pokes than I do NBa basketball, the experience of attending the game was so much better. I could also simply drive to the Pepsi center in park in one of the thousands of parking spots in the lot adjacent to the Pepsi center that are there specifically for events at the Pepsi center instead of having to park 8 blocks away and walk past hundreds of empty parking spaces adjacent to the AA on the way in. What a novel idea!
Excellent point! I hate the parking situation that we have going on. Instead of that stupid-ass Taj Mahal for fine arts we built on 22nd and Willet we should have put a parking facility! Talk about a waste of prime real estate. I mean that would have made too much sense to build a parking facility in an empty lot a block away from our stadium and arena.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Excellent point! I hate the parking situation that we have going on. Instead of that stupid-ass Taj Mahal for fine arts we built on 22nd and Willet we should have put a parking facility! Talk about a waste of prime real estate. I mean that would have made too much sense to build a parking facility in an empty lot a block away from our stadium and arena.
You're being sarcastic, right?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SnowyRange wrote:
No, mostly serious. What do you disagree with?
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

SnowyRange wrote:

I'd then pay the $10-15 they ask for normally
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

That fantastic visual arts center, near the art museum, in only area left for the university to build new buildings, should have been a parking garage....so that people don't have to walk 600 yards to a basketball game?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SnowyRange wrote:
That fantastic visual arts center, near the art museum, in only area left for the university to build new buildings, should have been a parking garage....so that people don't have to walk 600 yards to a basketball game?
If the building were a science building I wouldn't have an issue with it. I don't think spending that many millions on an art building when there already is a fine arts building was a wise use of funds and valuable real estate.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

If the building were a science building I wouldn't have an issue with it. I don't think spending that many millions on an art building when there already is a fine arts building was a wise use of funds and valuable real estate.
One is for performing arts, one is for visual arts.

UW is running a Research I institution, the highest level of university in the country, and it educates from art through zoology.

They're great facilities. If you haven't, visit them. They'll make you proud.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SnowyRange wrote:
One is for performing arts, one is for visual arts.

UW is running a Research I institution, the highest level of university in the country, and it educates from art through zoology.

They're great facilities. If you haven't, visit them. They'll make you proud.
True, we are a research university, but not of the highest level (CSU and New Mexico are). Investing in arts is doing nothing to raise the profile of the university, but investing in engineering and science will.

Anyway, at least the building is not ugly. Could be worse, I guess.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Investing in arts is doing nothing to raise the profile of the university, but investing in engineering and science will.
Well, of the three top-20ish programs at UW, only one is in the sciences: Geology, Natural Resources Economics, and the MFA in Creative Writing.

Anyhoo....no, we don't need a parking garage for a few sporting events a year.