WTE- UW, its fans have too-high expectations

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
lakeside
Buckaroo

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/201 ... umn214.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What a bunch of BS from the Cheyenne rag!
PCB
Ranch Hand

Agreed. What a pant load written by the editor who knows zero about football. This is not the way Gags feels.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I wasted about 5 minutes reading that article. I couldn't disagree more with the author.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

See what happens when you have a football hating person spread their ignorance and use our mediocrity against us. This same brain stem wouldn't have said a thing if this were the Paul Roach period. No wonder the press has the reputation some where between a politician and a used car salesman.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Well when the entire country is in shock that we were able to land a coach that most think is demoting himself and we are cancelling our season tickets....there is just a hint of truth here.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

I wonder if, when their ad department misses budget goals, the editor just tells them it's okay, no one should expect much from them anyway- that it's unrealistic to expect to sell ads in Wyomnig.

I wonder if, when he gets a piece from a reporter that's such an abomination it's incomprehensible, the editor just says, "That's okay, no one can expect good, skilled journalist or writers in a place with so many un-over-come-able obstacles."

"Sorry, but there are better uses for taxpayers’ money than paying for programs that never will be competitive."

"The $35,000 report listed several areas to improve on. But some things, the study noted, can’t be fixed. Laramie’s remote location, which results in high travel costs and scheduling difficulties, is a very real concern.

"We would add an altered landscape for college athletics where the big boys now snatch up even mid-level talent. That makes UW’s job even harder, since it has to work with the leftovers."

This guy would junk the car because the tire's flat and the battery needs replaced. He'd shoot the dog because it's throwing up.

What a POS. I would encourage everyone to let businesses who advertise in this rag know how you feel as fans, alumni, and citizens, and vote with your wallet. Do not patronize businesses that choose to advertise with the news outlet edited by a graduate of the French Military Academy.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

BackHarlowRoad wrote:Well when the entire country is in shock that we were able to land a coach that most think is demoting himself and we are cancelling our season tickets....there is just a hint of truth here.
Lol - yep. Unbelievable stuff I'm reading here. I thought Bohl was Big 10 bound, and we landed him. A total coup and a vocal minority is doing nothing but bitching about it.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:Well when the entire country is in shock that we were able to land a coach that most think is demoting himself and we are cancelling our season tickets....there is just a hint of truth here.
Lol - yep. Unbelievable stuff I'm reading here. I thought Bohl was Big 10 bound, and we landed him. A total coup and a vocal minority is doing nothing but bitching about it.
This. And I think that we are actually a smaller school in a smaller market with a smaller alumni base than where Coach Bohl is from. Add to this the basic issue that UW's alumni have to leave the UW media market to get jobs after graduation and you have a situation where we need to celebrate our triumphs and strive for improvement based on the facts about our institution and not based on what other schools in other markets are accomplishing.

Remember, Boise State did not find Peterson so much as he happened to be a member of the staff when they lost his predecessor to CU.

I think our biggest problem is that so many people are more focused on who Wyoming is playing against and beating and are less focused on supporting the Cowboys as the team fielded by the University of Wyoming.

I spent the last 11 years in a FCS town and there was plenty of support for the teams simply because they were the teams that represented a College that the alumni were proud of. I would still rather have a U.W. degree than a Boise State or SDSU degree--no matter how the football team performs.

We are not going to get an invitation to join the SEC in the near future no matter who we hire as coach. The real question here is can the team sell tickets and win the MWC while graduating enough players to maintain the APR requirements.
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

As an addendum to my comment, I will say that this column is total defeatist garbage.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

If being sick and tired of being a door mat in a average (at best) conference means that I have too high of expectations than I don't want to have good expectations. We have been an absolute embarrassment the last two seasons and it is not wrong for the fan base to be fed up. How each fan demonstrates their disappointment is on them. If I've learned anything it's that cowboy fans can be a fickle bunch. If some want to quit their season tickets, it is not having too high of expectations. It's that they cannot fathom devoting another dollar to an organization that up to this point has shown very little interest in fielding anything resembling a quality product. Once you prove to these same fans that a winning culture is the norm, they'll be back. Were pokes fans, it's in our blood
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

This article is a total joke.
But it sure will rally a bunch of non-supporters who don't know a damn thing about how college athletics work.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Perfect example of what's wrong with UW. The we are who we are mentality.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote:Perfect example of what's wrong with UW. The we are who we are mentality.
So we should just accept sucking hind titty be happy we have a team? Just shut up and color?
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:Perfect example of what's wrong with UW. The we are who we are mentality.
So we should just accept sucking hind titty be happy we have a team? Just shut up and color?
Thats what the editorial piece is saying poop not me.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

At least this loser could have put his name on this pathic editorial
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

If we lived in a state like California where state debt was off the charts I would concur that tax dollars could be spent elsewhere but we have a surplus every year. Give the football team the same kind of budget as other teams we are competing with and hire competent assistant coaches and watch the team succeed.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Thats what the editorial piece is saying poop not me.
Some testy pissy mofos on this board.
OneMoreBeer
Buckaroo

pokefanchaz7 wrote:If we lived in a state like California where state debt was off the charts I would concur that tax dollars could be spent elsewhere but we have a surplus every year. Give the football team the same kind of budget as other teams we are competing with and hire competent assistant coaches and watch the team succeed.
California in debt? Hardly.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/ ... 997158.php
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

OK I had a monster response typed but it didn't post.

Why can't we compete? Who wrote this poop? Are you even from Wyoming? Way to have pride in your state. Way to have pride in the Univ of Wyo. Have you ever competed at anything in your life ever? answer has to be no. What a loser attitude.

The University should not commit to bettering the football team but lowering the fans expectations. Unbelievable. Replace the "Commitment to Excellence" banners with "Committed to lowering fans expectations" Why would any fan support a team whose administration is committed to trying to make you accept losing? This author is a dumbass.

Do us a favor and never write about athletics again loser. This paper sucks for actually using this crap. I know I will never send that crap rag a dime.

Why say we should commit the resources to mens basketball? why stop there? wouldn't you be more happy to quit all athletics except wrestling and womens basketball... then when they don't compete, quitting athletics at Wyoming altogether. Yep, we will be so much better then when we don't waste any precision money at all on UW athletics. You are so right, athletics don't generate any money, state pride, or opportunities at all.

Hands down the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Author should have had to put their name with the pen.. total poop. Own your poop.
ImageImageImageImage