I'm told it is no pipe dream

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Earlier this evening the same individual who told me this past Saturday that despite reports to the contrary, that Craig Bohl would be named the next Wyoming head coach (something I posted at least 3 hours before the announcement was made official)...this same individual informed me that those laughing at the notion of Wyoming wanting to be a part of the Big 12 are ill-informed.

My source indicated that not only does Wyoming strongly want to be a part of the next round of Big 12 expansion - but that preliminary and very off the record conversations aiming toward this objective have already taken place.

When one considers this potential scenario it makes perfect sense on myriad levels for all concerned.

Stay tuned...
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Doc, I have never bought booze before, but I will buy you a drink if you are right.

I take that back. I did buy an indian buddy some beer in exchange for his old car in Blackfoot, Idaho.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

djm19 wrote:Doc, I have never bought booze before, but I will buy you a drink if you are right.

I take that back. I did buy an indian buddy some beer in exchange for his old car in Blackfoot, Idaho.
:shock: :shock:

Never bought booze??

/dies
ImageImageImageImage
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:Doc, I have never bought booze before, but I will buy you a drink if you are right.

The person who told me about Bohl very early on this past Saturday is the same individual who told me about this earlier tonight.

I have no reason at all at this juncture to question the validity of what I was told...lets watch and see what happens now moving forward.

We do know that Wyoming has issued no denial through their sports information department nor with any other University official to this point.

On the other hand I have no knowledge of any member of the media asking a Wyoming official to comment about such a rumor in an on the record capacity for confirmation or denial on this matter.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

I have no doubt Wyoming wants to be included when the Big 12 expands. UW leadership would be crazy not to try and get in on that when it happens and failure to do so would be a gross failure to zealously pursue the best interests of the university. I very much have doubts whether the Big 12 and its current membership want to include us.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I would buy every member on this board a beer if true.

I just don't see anything that we add to the Big 12 (outside of wrestling) and why the Big 12 would want to add a school in a small media market that makes travel for the conference more difficult. We have a great and passionate fan base and there is no denying that; but that alone cannot be enough.

I guess the only thing that makes any sense is some sort of potential deal we got going with gasp BYU. Perhaps BYU, Wyoming, CSU and Air Force working together again (ala the airport).
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Coach bohl is a big 12 guy thru and thru, heck he's got a 2 game win streak at NDSU over big 12
he played in big 12, coached in big 12 both at Nebraska It wouldn't surprise me in the least that he took this Wyoming job hoping to get to the big 12!

It'd be great to see it happen
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Complete insanity. Not happening.

Jesus....one week everyone wants to fold as a program, the next Wyoming is Big XII bound? That's nothing short of ridiculous.

My argument: T.V. Market

Everything in realignment, is about money. Every. Last. Bit of it. Wyoming has absolutely no market.

End of story. You may have been told its not a pipe dream, Dino....but in reality, it is.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:Complete insanity. Not happening.

Jesus....one week everyone wants to fold as a program, the next Wyoming is Big XII bound? That's nothing short of ridiculous.

My argument: T.V. Market

Everything in realignment, is about money. Every. Last. Bit of it. Wyoming has absolutely no market.

End of story. You may have been told its not a pipe dream, Dino....but in reality, it is.
Some of your points against are pretty effective and hard to argue, J-Rod, I'll agree with that.

I'm only reporting what I was told...lets see what happens.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

DocHolliday wrote: Some of your points against are pretty effective and hard to argue, J-Rod, I'll agree with that.

lol I hear you Dino.....I'm just saying, whoever told you that....is well over the legal limit on kool aid.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

My thing with the TV market is that if we are on National TV, we will be watched.
The state of Wyo doesn't have tons of viewers, but does Boise and the Boise area?
The old saying of "Build it and they will come" needs to be modified to this day in technology. It needs to be "Put them on TV and the viewers will come".
People don't go looking to watch 1 specific game on Saturdays. People sit around and watch whatever games are on.
Obviously there are certain games that people would rather watch than others, but in the end, if we are playing Oklahoma, and Texas, and OK-State, and Tech, the people will watch.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

BeaverPoke wrote:My thing with the TV market is that if we are on National TV, we will be watched.
The state of Wyo doesn't have tons of viewers, but does Boise and the Boise area?
The old saying of "Build it and they will come" needs to be modified to this day in technology. It needs to be "Put them on TV and the viewers will come".
People don't go looking to watch 1 specific game on Saturdays. People sit around and watch whatever games are on.
Obviously there are certain games that people would rather watch than others, but in the end, if we are playing Oklahoma, and Texas, and OK-State, and Tech, the people will watch.
I would love to get revenge on K-State after they beat the poop outta us in the 1993 Copper Bowl. I hated it when that bowl changed its name. :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:My thing with the TV market is that if we are on National TV, we will be watched.
Its not nearly that simple.

Its pretty well-known that the next school up to get into a BCS conference is Cincinnati. Purely-based on their massive market. Then to the next big market. Its not about winning, it never had been. $$$$$

The Boise/Treasure Valley area has 700K people living in it, and that's considered small! Laramie has around 30K....its not even on the realignment map.

Its crazy talk. But to be honest, nobody can talk realignment right now. the Big XII may eventually expand, but that is far from a given....and when it comes, they won't be looking west for teams.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Reasons for Big12 expanding: Get 12 teams again so they can make more money off the Big12 Title Game.

Who do they want?
I would probably take SMU over Wyo if I was them.

But, Wyo is a geographic fit (not like that matters in todays world).

Wyo and CSU could make sense. But we both need to establish ourselves as the 2 main teams in the Colorado market to do that.

In terms of football style, disregarding recent success/failure/history, Wyo and CSU are that type of rural tough type teams that gets associated with the Big12.

It's all about marketing. Can we market it in the next few seasons?
Can we go and beat Oregon and Michigan State?
Highly doubt it, but I think our success at the start of this season shows that Wyo gets a lot of people on the bandwagon when we start winning. We are the ULTIMATE underdog.

Hell I remember some NC-State basketball fans announcing on ESPN Message boards that they jumped on the Wyo Cowboy bandwagon before everyone else, after we cracked the Top 25 last season.

If we win, we are trendy as f-word.
If we lose, we are just regular old "sucky Wyoming".
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
DocHolliday wrote: Some of your points against are pretty effective and hard to argue, J-Rod, I'll agree with that.

lol I hear you Dino.....I'm just saying, whoever told you that....is well over the legal limit on kool aid.
Not really. Doc's post say Wyoming wants to be in on Big 12's next round of expansion and has had very informal conversations with the Big 12 about that. I guarantee that much is true. The OP says nothing about the interest being reciprocated by the Big 12. Because that would be crazy.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Cowduck wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

Not really. Doc's post say Wyoming wants to be in on Big 12's next round of expansion and has had very informal conversations with the Big 12 about that. I guarantee that much is true. The OP says nothing about the interest being reciprocated by the Big 12. Because that would be crazy.
I hate to say, but I would believe CSU going to the Big 12 much more than Wyoming. Media market and all. They would at least have a shot at the Denver market. It's all about TV....
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:Reasons for Big12 expanding: Get 12 teams again so they can make more money off the Big12 Title Game.

Who do they want?
I would probably take SMU over Wyo if I was them.

But, Wyo is a geographic fit (not like that matters in todays world).

Wyo and CSU could make sense. But we both need to establish ourselves as the 2 main teams in the Colorado market to do that.

In terms of football style, disregarding recent success/failure/history, Wyo and CSU are that type of rural tough type teams that gets associated with the Big12.

It's all about marketing. Can we market it in the next few seasons?
Can we go and beat Oregon and Michigan State?
Highly doubt it, but I think our success at the start of this season shows that Wyo gets a lot of people on the bandwagon when we start winning. We are the ULTIMATE underdog.

Hell I remember some NC-State basketball fans announcing on ESPN Message boards that they jumped on the Wyo Cowboy bandwagon before everyone else, after we cracked the Top 25 last season.

If we win, we are trendy as f-word.
If we lose, we are just regular old "sucky Wyoming".

We got problems at SMU. I won't even talk about the BS. Men should listen more to ............. :tickedoff:
You mentioned 3 teams I give support to, SMU, Michigan State and Wyoming. And SMU is skating on the thinnest ice possible with me right now in football and some other areas. :tickedoff:
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Honestly, this sounds more like a pipe bomb
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Are you sure they weren't talking about wrestling? The big XII will have no interest in Wyoming unless they are trying to get all the cowboy mascots in one conference.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

DVDA wrote:Are you sure they weren't talking about wrestling? The big XII will have no interest in Wyoming unless they are trying to get all the cowboy mascots in one conference.
Get UW and New Mexico State in there and we could have a three way duel with Pistol Petes!
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa