OT: Living In Wyoming

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

New as of 2 days ago (I think) with over 750,000 views. Enjoy.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Xjbff
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

Neat little rundown of the state for people who are unfamiliar. On a side note, that "Welcome to Wyoming" sign is literally right over the fence from my folks' pasture in Pine Bluffs. The "Gun Show" sign means that the picture was probably taken at the end of July :thumb:
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Cool stuff. Wish it didn't drop f bomb. This is perfect to show to my mom's local class learning about Wyoming history.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

That was excellent!

Thanks for sharing!
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

No Wyoming history lesson is complete without at least a mention of Campbell County Cocksuckers.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Come to think of it, that presentation kind of blew off Goshen County and Torrington. Also, no mention of the Bitches Corner Bar in Lingle.

Oh well, it's a great presentation, but obviously not perfect. ;)
Last edited by Hayduke on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Amazing......
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The wind river range belongs to Pinedale and no one else! Interesting trivia: Pinedale is the furthest from a railroad than any other town in Wyo.
I'm good for 3!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote:The wind river range belongs to Pinedale and no one else! Interesting trivia: Pinedale is the furthest from a railroad than any other town in Wyo.
poop....Lander has just as much claim.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Just a few questions from an "outsider"

-Cheyenne is the largest city, so why is Casper the town known as "the big city"? Does Cheyenne have more of a small-town feel to it?
-Is there a story behind why UW is in Laramie, and not Casper or Cheyenne?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

joshvanklomp wrote:Just a few questions from an "outsider"

-Cheyenne is the largest city, so why is Casper the town known as "the big city"? Does Cheyenne have more of a small-town feel to it?
Honestly to me, Casper and Cheyenne have a very similar feel. I think he may be referring to how Casper is more centrally located, so a lot of younger people have more experiences in Casper (a lot of high school sports are held there) than in Cheyenne. Plus with Cheyenne being so close to Fort Collins and Denver, people that go there a lot are used to much bigger cities.

As for the why UW is in Laramie, I'm sure I've heard the story once or twice, but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'll leave that one for one of the "old timers" to touch on. ;)
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:

Honestly to me, Casper and Cheyenne have a very similar feel. I think he may be referring to how Casper is more centrally located, so a lot of younger people have more experiences in Casper (a lot of high school sports are held there) than in Cheyenne. Plus with Cheyenne being so close to Fort Collins and Denver, people that go there a lot are used to much bigger cities.

As for the why UW is in Laramie, I'm sure I've heard the story once or twice, but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'll leave that one for one of the "old timers" to touch on. ;)
Why UW is in Laramie has to do with the railroad going thru there around 1889. Plus Casper didn't get started until 1890.

BTW, I thought Casper is larger than Cheyenne! I miss my hometown. Casper was wonderful. :D
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

2010 Census had:

Cheyenne - 59,466
Casper - 55,316
Laramie - 30,816
Gillette - 29,087
Rock Springs - 23,036
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

WestWYOPoke wrote:2010 Census had:

Cheyenne - 59,466
Casper - 55,316
Laramie - 30,816
Gillette - 29,087
Rock Springs - 23,036
WOW! It used to be Casper at the # 1 spot!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Casper is awful.. Going there for various sporting events growing up was no fun. Seems super dumpy, everything is right next to the highway running through the middle. Casper did send down some babes to Laramie for college, though.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:

Why UW is in Laramie has to do with the railroad going thru there around 1889. Plus Casper didn't get started until 1890.

BTW, I thought Casper is larger than Cheyenne! I miss my hometown. Casper was wonderful. :D
Why is UW in Laramie you ask? I may not be the oldest on the board, but I am surely the smartest. :whistle: ;)

Anyway, here you go:

Way back, around the time Wyoming was gaining statehood - the who's-who were deciding where in Wyoming they should put the state university, and the state penitentiary (prison). The fine representatives from Rawlins had first choice (I poop you not - I know, I know), and selected to have the penitentiary.

WHOOPS!
Dear Karma,

PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

It's Rawlins...And please god let's not have another pro-casper anti-casper pissing match.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:

Why is UW in Laramie you ask? I may not be the oldest on the board, but I am surely the smartest. :whistle: ;)

Anyway, here you go:

Way back, around the time Wyoming was gaining statehood - the who's-who were deciding where in Wyoming they should put the state university, and the state penitentiary (prison). The fine representatives from Rawlins had first choice (I poop you not - I know, I know), and selected to have the penitentiary.

WHOOPS!
False.
Cheyenne had first pick, then Laramie, then Cheyenne, then Evanston.
Went east to west.
According to my Wyoming History teacher.

Plus with your argument about Rawlins having first pick, tons of people have the same story in Evanston.
They think that Evanston got first pick, and they chose the state mental hospital over the capital and the University.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

LasCrucesPoke wrote:It's Rawlins...And please god let's not have another pro-casper anti-casper pissing match.
:rofl:

I agree.

BTW, I'm very pro-Casper. Can't stand Cheyenne. :roll:
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote: False.
Cheyenne had first pick, then Laramie, then Cheyenne, then Evanston.
Went east to west.
According to my Wyoming History teacher.

Plus with your argument about Rawlins having first pick, tons of people have the same story in Evanston.
They think that Evanston got first pick, and they chose the state mental hospital over the capital and the University.
Well, your history teacher doesn't know his/her ass from a hole in the ground (as most teachers) :cool:

Tell he/she that he/she shouldn't confuse territory (signed in 1868) & statehood (granted in 1890).
Dear Karma,