Enough with the douche bag ushers/security people!

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Kids were getting kicked out of the student section for saying IT SUCKS TO BE A CSU RAM!

And the f-word guy came and told YankPoke that the University is trying to make an example out of kids.

Unreal.

This is a problem that needs to be fixed from the top down. f-word you Tom Burman for turning the university events I love into a a PG rated --hell, that's G rated-- family event. Can't offend anyone, and need to please all the blue hairs.

What a joke.

Get these guys who want to yell at everyone for saying a swear word and kick people out for heckling a visiting player out of the AA!
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

My brother was texting me the exact same thing from the game yesterday. Apparently chanting "alcoholic" loud enough that the TV camera could hear it is okay, but saying other things is not. Our student section is seriously stupid. Apparently getting their ass handed to them by the national media last year wasn't enough of a lesson to teach them.
ImageImageImageImage
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Starts at the top. And it's all about $$ and who is calling the shots. Burman is a "friendly ladies" - what do you guys expect? If a multi-million dollar booster wants the atmosphere at UW sporting events to be 5 year old G rated friendly, Burman will jump at making it happen.

Never a fan of the F bomb, etc., but there is nothing wrong with most of what I saw go on yesterday.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote:My brother was texting me the exact same thing from the game yesterday. Apparently chanting "alcoholic" loud enough that the TV camera could hear it is okay, but saying other things is not. Our student section is seriously stupid. Apparently getting their ass handed to them by the national media last year wasn't enough of a lesson to teach them.
Alcoholic and f-word you CSU are okay to the ushers, but It Sucks to be a CSU Ram isn't??

And yeah, you would think that at SOME point the student section would figure it out.

But hey, what can you expect when State Basketball is going on? Students have excuses to not go to games all the time, but I know there are some that skipped the Border War to go watch State Basketball in Casper.

Our student section sucks.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

I'm on the fence on this. I think a student section that drops F bombs and has nothing clever to chant/do makes us look foolish. It sucks to be a CSU ram isn't one of those things, though.

There are tons of basketball related antics that we do not do and we resort to lame things instead.

My guess is that ADs around the country are cracking down a little bit after watching UC-Santa Barbara/Hawai'i.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:I'm on the fence on this. I think a student section that drops F bombs and has nothing clever to chant/do makes us look foolish. It sucks to be a CSU ram isn't one of those things, though.

There are tons of basketball related antics that we do not do and we resort to lame things instead.

My guess is that ADs around the country are cracking down a little bit after watching UC-Santa Barbara/Hawai'i.
What happened with UC-Santa Clara/Hawaii?
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=105657 ... api_public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

I quit watching before that happened. Wow. It really takes away from the Gauchos' victory. How do you prevent this from happening without having security surrounding a basketball court or sealing off the court from the fans?
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

Hayduke wrote:
I quit watching before that happened. Wow. It really takes away from the Gauchos' victory. How do you prevent this from happening without having security surrounding a basketball court or sealing off the court from the fans?
Not much, but you can try by doing what the original post is complaining about. Stopping it before it escalates that far. Try to make it less about what the opponent is doing and more about what your team is doing. I totally understand the reasoning behind this.
billings
Ranch Hand

Add in the spitting on players from the stands and the court rushing incident at Utah Valley and I think that many places are cracking down a bit on student sections.

Now we are putting the students directly behind the visitor bench in the new seating arrangement? Have my doubts how well that will work out frankly
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Didn't I see the student section behind the opponents second half basket?
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

I'm friends with the guys who got kicked out. The first two were kicked out for dropping f-bombs. The funny thing is they had only done it a couple times but my friend has a history with the douche bag in the beige shirt so he instantly locked in on him. I don't have a problem with someone getting kicked out for dropping f-bombs unless it is the "f-word you CSU" chant. They deserved to be kicked out for the f-bombs, but the other guys didn't.

The geriatric f-word who can barely walk decided to kick out the next couple guys for starting the "it sucks to be a CSU ram" chant. That is beyond stupid and that old bastard needs to find a new job. There is nothing wrong with that chant. It's funny though that a group behind us started a few chants during the game and were never bothered. Did anyone else get kicked out? I didn't see anyone else get the boot. I feel like these assholes decided they were going to eject my friends before the game even started.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Hayduke wrote:
Not much, but you can try by doing what the original post is complaining about. Stopping it before it escalates that far. Try to make it less about what the opponent is doing and more about what your team is doing. I totally understand the reasoning behind this.
I agree. But, where do you draw the line. I don't think "It sucks to be CSU" is a horrible chant. I've heard (and said worse) in my undergrad days at U of North Dakota. But, we would draw the line at spitting on players or rushing out on the court, field, ice. (besides, you'd probably just fall on the ice...even for a 20 year old college student..that's gonna hurt!)

With today's litigation, as an administrator, I would probably have a fairly tight reign on the student section to clear up any liability issues. As a fan, I like to see the student section involved. Gotta admit, even when UW was losing to CSU in Moby, it was fun to see the enthusiasm of the students. We can't take that away, if for no other reason to keep them as fans when they become old boring alumni.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy

Hayduke wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Hayduke wrote:
I agree. But, where do you draw the line. I don't think "It sucks to be CSU" is a horrible chant. I've heard (and said worse) in my undergrad days at U of North Dakota. But, we would draw the line at spitting on players or rushing out on the court, field, ice. (besides, you'd probably just fall on the ice...even for a 20 year old college student..that's gonna hurt!)

With today's litigation, as an administrator, I would probably have a fairly tight reign on the student section to clear up any liability issues. As a fan, I like to see the student section involved. Gotta admit, even when UW was losing to CSU in Moby, it was fun to see the enthusiasm of the students. We can't take that away, if for no other reason to keep them as fans when they become old boring alumni.
I hate to bring them up yet again...but the Herd in USU does it right. They are as into the game as any student section I've ever seen and they are able to do it without derogatory chants.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Hayduke wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
Hayduke wrote:

I hate to bring them up yet again...but the Herd in USU does it right. They are as into the game as any student section I've ever seen and they are able to do it without derogatory chants.
Even if we hate it, we do have to appreciate it. U of Wisconsin in hockey used to rock their house against UND. Their student section was fun, noisy and politically incorrect. They knew how to get under the skin of the other team without going too far overboard.
Frank Zappa
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

We have to be smarter. We sound like 12 year olds with our chants. The student section can be loud, obnoxious, creative without sounding like immature assholes. Utah State and New Mexico State has an organized group of students that come up with creative chants and intel on whatever team their playing without just yelling F U cause your university name ends in U so it kind of rhymes!!!! We sound like redneck dumbasses.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

LasCrucesPoke wrote:We have to be smarter. We sound like 12 year olds with our chants. The student section can be loud, obnoxious, creative without sounding like immature assholes. Utah State and New Mexico State has an organized group of students that come up with creative chants and intel on whatever team their playing without just yelling F U cause your university name ends in U so it kind of rhymes!!!! We sound like redneck dumbasses.

I agree. With the internet, there are easy ways to find out about your opponent. Just a matter of a little research and organization.
Frank Zappa
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

DVDA wrote:I'm friends with the guys who got kicked out. The first two were kicked out for dropping f-bombs. The funny thing is they had only done it a couple times but my friend has a history with the douche bag in the beige shirt so he instantly locked in on him. I don't have a problem with someone getting kicked out for dropping f-bombs unless it is the "f-word you CSU" chant. They deserved to be kicked out for the f-bombs, but the other guys didn't.

The geriatric f-word who can barely walk decided to kick out the next couple guys for starting the "it sucks to be a CSU ram" chant. That is beyond stupid and that old bastard needs to find a new job. There is nothing wrong with that chant. It's funny though that a group behind us started a few chants during the game and were never bothered. Did anyone else get kicked out? I didn't see anyone else get the boot. I feel like these assholes decided they were going to eject my friends before the game even started.
Did you go to the game w/ my brother? I forget who he was meeting up w/ down there.

Hasn't the student section been doing the "sucks to be a CSU Ram" thing for a while? That's probably one of the better student section created chants in a while.. not like our college days when it was "F you BYU" for two straight hours.
ImageImageImageImage
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

I was really disappointed with the alcoholic chant even if it didn't last long
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

MrTitleist wrote:Hasn't the student section been doing the "sucks to be a CSU Ram" thing for a while? That's probably one of the better student section created chants in a while.. not like our college days when it was "F you BYU" for two straight hours.
I miss the good ole days. Had I been able to attend UW starting in the fall of 1992, I would've loved doing that with friends who did go to UW.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!