2014/2015 Recruiting Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

So far it looks like were hitting certain states hard. Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming, California and it looks like were still in Washington. I'm sure more states will arise later, but those ones are the ones I've seen the most action in.

We're most active in Colorado and Nebraska. I feel like someone just turned a light on. Why not hit both of the border states that are an easy drive to Laramie?
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Cowboy Junky wrote:We're most active in Colorado and Nebraska. I feel like someone just turned a light on. Why not hit both of the border states that are an easy drive to Laramie?
Some people don't like meat and potatoes. I guess CDC was one of those guys.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

A lot of Wyoming coaches haven't looked at Nebraska at all. DC would go to Germany and Sweden, but not to Lincoln.

I've noticed that the quality of the recruits or the perceived quality of the recruits(according to the star system) has improved. From watching tape, it seems like this staff is on a lot higher quality of recruit.

We'll see, but football recruiting seems to be off to a really good start this year.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Weird that we haven't always gone after kids in Nebraska.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

BeaverPoke wrote:Weird that we haven't always gone after kids in Nebraska.
To be fair to previous administrations, only about 3-4 FBS level recruits come out Nebraska each year. The notion of big corn fed boys is largely a myth. Even UN only grabs 0-3 locals a year.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Even UN only grabs 0-3 locals a year.
There are 62 Nebraskans on the Huskers roster.

0-3 per year would only total 12 or 15, depending on if they redshirt.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:

Walk-on vs. signed--at least according to rivals.

2012 1 signed
2013 1 signed
2014 3 signed

It would be interesting to see how many of the walk-ons end up on scholly.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote:

Interesting article from a few years ago.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sports/nu ... 764f5.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe some of these guys could be convinced to not walk on at UN but take a scholarship here? If so, definitely my mistake with the "largely a myth" comment.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

BeaverPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:BYU now interested in Cade.
WTF Bohl.
Where did you see that?

I know Wazzu landed Hillinski, as expected....so they're not after Cade anymore. Utah State would suck, but BYU would be a swift kick to the balls. Please no.
His father tweeted it.

And speaking of Wazzu...did they are becoming the Texas Tech of the Pac12.
Everyone talked about how it could happen with Mike Leach, but no one truly believed it would because they are Wazzu.

Wazzu is going to be REALLY good, and is going to start upsetting the big teams in the Pac12 in the next few seasons.
Cade has gotten an offer from the Naval Academy (per a family tweet and Vorel), and from the "excitement" in his family's tweet I would be surprised if Cade went anywhere else, so it doesn't look like Cade will be going to Utah St. or anywhere else in the West.....unless Oregon offers, which I would be surprised. I wish the young man all the best if he does go to the Naval Academy because he will be able to write his own ticket with that on his resume and he will have earned it.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Harvard and Yale aren't what they used to be academically speaking. All they are, are breeding grounds for the elite snobs that see themselves as being the "only" ones ordained to lead the great unwashed in this country.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Yeah, they're only Top 10 colleges in the US in basically every listing in existence...they dumb.
zappinpoke
Cowpoke

Harvard, where they don't teach you how to get a job, but to go out and create your own. How dare they.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:Yeah, they're only Top 10 colleges in the US in basically every listing in existence...they dumb.
It's a money & name list....who you know and how much money do they have, and the Ivy League Schools are ALL about who you know and money, and making networks that you can use later in life...like on your way to public office someplace, especially if you are on your way to a high office in Washington, D.C. I didn't say that they were dumb, that is YOUR word. I just said they weren't what they used to be, which is true. There are many fine universities in this country that give you the same level of education without the high cost with a different name. Way to misread a post.

By the way, I had Ivy League educated instructors in my MBA program at DU.....their level of training and expectations weren't any different than many other similar programs across the U.S..
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

zappinpoke wrote:Harvard, where they don't teach you how to get a job, but to go out and create your own. How dare they.
There are A LOT of schools that teach you that....how dare these other schools.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Yeah, they're only Top 10 colleges in the US in basically every listing in existence...they dumb.
It's a money & name list....who you know and how much money do they have, and the Ivy League Schools are ALL about who you know and money, and making networks that you can use later in life...like on your way to public office someplace, especially if you are on your way to a high office in Washington, D.C. I didn't say that they were dumb, that is YOUR word. I just said they weren't what they used to be, which is true. There are many fine universities in this country that give you the same level of education without the high cost with a different name. Way to misread a post.

By the way, I had Ivy League educated instructors in my MBA program at DU.....their level of training and expectations weren't any different than many other similar programs across the U.S..
I realize you didn't say they were dumb, I was over exaggerating to make a point. Simple fact is, who you know and how much money you have is, IMO, more important than what you know in today's world (at least as far as getting a job). Everything else being equal, an MBA or JD from Harvard carries a LOT more clout than one from UW, DU, CU, etc. This isn't because of the education behind the degree (which may be equal or even superior), but because of the institution name on the degree. Perception is a huge factor in the higher education world.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:

I realize you didn't say they were dumb, I was over exaggerating to make a point. Simple fact is, who you know and how much money you have is, IMO, more important than what you know in today's world (at least as far as getting a job). Everything else being equal, an MBA or JD from Harvard carries a LOT more clout than one from UW, DU, CU, etc. This isn't because of the education behind the degree (which may be equal or even superior), but because of the institution name on the degree. Perception is a huge factor in the higher education world.
It is way past the time to be honest about the myths of an Ivy League school and what type of education that you receive at one. In the 1800's there was a reason why the Ivy League schools were held in such high esteem, the academic playing field has more than been leveled since then and I for one will not bow down to some one just because they have an Ivy League education. I don't think that there is any basis in fact why an MBA or JD from Harvard or some place else should be held with such higher respect than say an MBA or JD from the University of Richmond or William & Mary, or such similar schools....that is a myth and frankly I for one won't keep it going.

FYI, my father was an ROTC professor at Harvard when I was born (Murphy Army Hospital, Waltham, MA.) and I have had many discussions with him over the years about Harvard and this subject matter. If people want to be like sheep and follow someone simply because they have an education from an Ivy League school then I say that is a huge indictment about the level of intelligence of the person who takes such a name at face value. I am much more impressed by people that have the ability to demonstrate through their own strengths that they have the academic and intellectual abilities and knowledge to be the best in their field without regard which school they attended.

In conclusion I can name dozens of schools that I feel are better in the way that they train their students and turn out well educated people for a less money than you can find at an Ivy League school. If you want to see where many of the problems and ills of higher education got their start it is in the Ivy League schools that lost their focus and changed their mandates from being schools of higher learning to ones turning out people that aren't truly free thinkers but ones that follow a dogma of being politically correct. If you don't believe me, just try speaking on an Ivy League campus ideas that are counter to the dogma that is being preached by the professors that are there....you will be threatened, shouted down and ran off the campus....this is what the Ivy League schools call a higher education. I don't like going into the political aspects of higher education, but at the Ivy League schools (and unfortunately other schools as well), politics and higher education have more than become good friends, they are one in the same, and can't be separated.
Last edited by PotatoCreekPete on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

My advice for a person that does not have a realistic NFL shot but with football scholarship offers to Harvard, Yale and a few FBS offers...would be to go to Harvard or Yale. I agree that the education may be similar if not better at Wyoming, CU or DU, but Harvard and Yale will open a lot of doors. Just the same as I would advise an area kid interested in engineering to attend Colorado School of Mines.