2014/2015 Recruiting Thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
hithere
Ranch Hand

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
It is way past the time to be honest about the myths of an Ivy League school and what type of education that you receive at one. In the 1800's there was a reason why the Ivy League schools were held in such high esteem, the academic playing field has more than been leveled since then and I for one will not bow down to some one just because they have an Ivy League education. I don't think that there is any basis in fact why an MBA or JD from Harvard or some place else should be held with such higher respect than say an MBA or JD from the University of Richmond or William & Mary, or such similar schools....that is a myth and frankly I for one won't keep it going.

FYI, my father was an ROTC professor at Harvard when I was born (Murphy Army Hospital, Waltham, MA.) and I have had many discussions with him over the years about Harvard and this subject matter. If people want to be like sheep and follow someone simply because they have an education from an Ivy League school then I say that is a huge indictment about the level of intelligence of the person who takes such a name at face value. I am much more impressed by people that have the ability to demonstrate through their own strengths that they have the academic and intellectual abilities and knowledge to be the best in their field without regard which school they attended.

In conclusion I can name dozens of schools that I feel are better in the way that they train their students and turn out well educated people for a less money than you can find at an Ivy League school. If you want to see where many of the problems and ills of higher education got their start it is in the Ivy League schools that lost their focus and changed their mandates from being schools of higher learning to ones turning out people that aren't truly free thinkers but ones that follow a dogma of being politically correct. If you don't believe me, just try speaking on an Ivy League campus ideas that are counter to the dogma that is being preached by the professors that are there....you will be threatened, shouted down and ran off the campus....this is what the Ivy League schools call a higher education. I don't like going into the political aspects of higher education, but at the Ivy League schools, politics and higher education have more than become good friends, they are one in the same, and can't be separated.
I'm actually impressed by someone typing up a 440 word missive about an Ivy League education AND having to include an "in conclusion".

I totally didn't read it but poop man, that's dedication to your own sense of self importance. Good job!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Yeah, they're only Top 10 colleges in the US in basically every listing in existence...they dumb.
It's a money & name list....who you know and how much money do they have, and the Ivy League Schools are ALL about who you know and money, and making networks that you can use later in life...like on your way to public office someplace, especially if you are on your way to a high office in Washington, D.C. I didn't say that they were dumb, that is YOUR word. I just said they weren't what they used to be, which is true. There are many fine universities in this country that give you the same level of education without the high cost with a different name. Way to misread a post.

By the way, I had Ivy League educated instructors in my MBA program at DU.....their level of training and expectations weren't any different than many other similar programs across the U.S..
I realize you didn't say they were dumb, I was over exaggerating to make a point. Simple fact is, who you know and how much money you have is, IMO, more important than what you know in today's world (at least as far as getting a job). Everything else being equal, an MBA or JD from Harvard carries a LOT more clout than one from UW, DU, CU, etc. This isn't because of the education behind the degree (which may be equal or even superior), but because of the institution name on the degree. Perception is a huge factor in the higher education world.
It is way past the time to be honest about the myths of an Ivy League school and what type of education that you receive at one. In the 1800's there was a reason why the Ivy League schools were held in such high esteem, the academic playing field has more than been leveled since then and I for one will not bow down to some one just because they have an Ivy League education. I don't think that there is any basis in fact why an MBA or JD from Harvard or some place else should be held with such higher respect than say an MBA or JD from the University of Richmond or William & Mary, or such similar schools....that is a myth and frankly I for one won't keep it going.

FYI, my father was an ROTC professor at Harvard when I was born (Murphy Army Hospital, Waltham, MA.) and I have had many discussions with him over the years about Harvard and this subject matter. If people want to be like sheep and follow someone simply because they have an education from an Ivy League school then I say that is a huge indictment about the level of intelligence of the person who takes such a name at face value. I am much more impressed by people that have the ability to demonstrate through their own strengths that they have the academic and intellectual abilities and knowledge to be the best in their field without regard which school they attended.

In conclusion I can name dozens of schools that I feel are better in the way that they train their students and turn out well educated people for a less money than you can find at an Ivy League school. If you want to see where many of the problems and ills of higher education got their start it is in the Ivy League schools that lost their focus and changed their mandates from being schools of higher learning to ones turning out people that aren't truly free thinkers but ones that follow a dogma of being politically correct. If you don't believe me, just try speaking on an Ivy League campus ideas that are counter to the dogma that is being preached by the professors that are there....you will be threatened, shouted down and ran off the campus....this is what the Ivy League schools call a higher education. I don't like going into the political aspects of higher education, but at the Ivy League schools (and unfortunately other schools as well), politics and higher education have more than become good friends, they are one in the same, and can't be separated.
A well thought out counter. I agree with you on most of what you said. I certainly am not one to be "dazzled" by an Ivy league degree, I will take substance and intelligence over academic credentials just as you said. Unfortunately there are many others that do not; I don't agree with it, just recognize its existence.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

WestWYOPoke wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
PotatoCreekPete wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:Yeah, they're only Top 10 colleges in the US in basically every listing in existence...they dumb.
It's a money & name list....who you know and how much money do they have, and the Ivy League Schools are ALL about who you know and money, and making networks that you can use later in life...like on your way to public office someplace, especially if you are on your way to a high office in Washington, D.C. I didn't say that they were dumb, that is YOUR word. I just said they weren't what they used to be, which is true. There are many fine universities in this country that give you the same level of education without the high cost with a different name. Way to misread a post.

By the way, I had Ivy League educated instructors in my MBA program at DU.....their level of training and expectations weren't any different than many other similar programs across the U.S..
I realize you didn't say they were dumb, I was over exaggerating to make a point. Simple fact is, who you know and how much money you have is, IMO, more important than what you know in today's world (at least as far as getting a job). Everything else being equal, an MBA or JD from Harvard carries a LOT more clout than one from UW, DU, CU, etc. This isn't because of the education behind the degree (which may be equal or even superior), but because of the institution name on the degree. Perception is a huge factor in the higher education world.

In conclusion I can name dozens of schools that I feel are better in the way that they train their students and turn out well educated people for a less money than you can find at an Ivy League school. If you want to see where many of the problems and ills of higher education got their start it is in the Ivy League schools that lost their focus and changed their mandates from being schools of higher learning to ones turning out people that aren't truly free thinkers but ones that follow a dogma of being politically correct. If you don't believe me, just try speaking on an Ivy League campus ideas that are counter to the dogma that is being preached by the professors that are there....you will be threatened, shouted down and ran off the campus....this is what the Ivy League schools call a higher education. I don't like going into the political aspects of higher education, but at the Ivy League schools (and unfortunately other schools as well), politics and higher education have more than become good friends, they are one in the same, and can't be separated.
A well thought out counter. I agree with you on most of what you said. I certainly am not one to be "dazzled" by an Ivy league degree, I will take substance and intelligence over academic credentials just as you said. Unfortunately there are many others that do not; I don't agree with it, just recognize its existence.
I recognize the reality of your statements. It was well impressed upon us at DU. The way networking was stressed at DU, it almost seemed like it was as important a lesson to be learned as was the presentation of the business plan.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

PotatoCreekPete wrote:The way networking was stressed at DU, it almost seemed like it was as important a lesson to be learned as was the presentation of the business plan.
Networking can lead to money down the road even if people haven't even seen your business plan yet. My side business recently brought in quite a bit of money in contracts all due to the founders' quarterly "crabcake dinners" that they invite not-quite random business people to.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The staff sure knows how to put together a good presentation.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=7282974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/ChukwumaObinnah/sta ... 1293530114 https://twitter.com/ChukwumaObinnah/sta ... 2690162689
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Not gonna lie, those posters look pretty cool.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Surprised to see he has to offers just yet. He's visiting Colorado, Colorado State, Wyoming, and Kansas State. The staff is doing what they can to gain an edge....he's got a lot of talent, I'm sure his recruitment will pick up.

He has already visited Washington apparently....
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

No "star rankings" but he is getting a lot of attention. 6'0, 210lbs, and 4.39 40? Pretty good there. Good size, speed, good vision, and not afraid to run through defenders if they get in his way. I like this kid!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Those posters are impressive!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Interesting recruiting approach: The staff just offered a three-star QB from Illinois who already verballed to Iowa. Jack Beneventi from Glen Ellyn, Ill.
https://twitter.com/JackBeneventi13/sta ... 1089011712
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

6'6 210lbs pro style QB. 3 star everywhere I look.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Certainly can't hurt to offer.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote:No "star rankings" but he is getting a lot of attention. 6'0, 210lbs, and 4.39 40? Pretty good there. Good size, speed, good vision, and not afraid to run through defenders if they get in his way. I like this kid!
Brian Hill supposedly runs a 4.33 or whatever they listed on recruiting pages but it's clear he doesn't. Those numbers don't mean much until you can see it electronically timed. I'm sure the kid is fast, but he's not that fast otherwise every school in the country would be all over his nuts. Most of the running backs in the draft this year are smaller and slower than those listed numbers.
Douglaspoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 5 times

Tommy Lazzarro QB

I understand that Tommy Lazarro from Colorado was named the MVP of the Rivals camp in Chicago this past weekend. He apparently beat out the guy who had an Elite 11 invite several weeks ago there in Chicago. He was the qb in the state championship 4A game here last year.

GO POKES
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:No "star rankings" but he is getting a lot of attention. 6'0, 210lbs, and 4.39 40? Pretty good there. Good size, speed, good vision, and not afraid to run through defenders if they get in his way. I like this kid!

Lol...yeah right. Oh and I am 6'2 and 250 with a 48" vert. and run a 4.2..and can throw a ball over the mountains

I don't believe that at all.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

BeaverPoke wrote:

Lol...yeah right. Oh and I am 6'2 and 250 with a 48" vert. and run a 4.2..and can throw a ball over the mountains

Uncle Rico?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

From what I've read on Tim Lynott's Twitter account, it appears Colorado is making him their #1 priority.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BJC wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:

Uncle Rico?
:cool:
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Colorado showing some creativity in pursuit of Tim Lynott.
https://twitter.com/TL56TIM/status/465608026745888768