If I were Coach Bohl....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
hithere
Ranch Hand

CampWyo wrote: I just think it's really funny to see the posts from all the "experts" on here. The great evaluators of talent!
You're one of those evaluators, fella. Message boards are the great equalizers of experts.

If you're related to the guy, that's fine. When I read message boards, I appreciate most posts with insider information. For the good of the program, if Young redshirts and benefits the team in the long run, then that's a win-win for everyone. There's not really a sense of urgency right now when it comes to Aaron Young as qb, in my opinion.

5-7 next year would be fantastic.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:My Concern is that if we are a power run team opposing teams will put seven in the box to stop the run and force us to pass. If, and when that happens we are going to be forced to pass the ball and from the looks of things that is going to be a tale task!
Not really, we don't have Brett Smith on the team this year, but we do have guys who can throw and guys who can catch. The QB's are still a work in progress, but all but one still threw over 50% on Saturday. By no means are we set at QB, but these guys had strides during spring ball, will make strides over the summer, and will improve during fall drills.

We are loaded at WR and are big. Our running game will open up the passing game. I think we'll be fine when the season starts.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Speaking of I will say I am impressed at Vigen's play designs and his ability to get playmakers involved.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
theman12
Buckaroo

I'm excited from what I saw from the running backs. Even though the o line was over matched they still found holes.

I'm also excited to see May he's number 1 on the depth chart for a reason. He must be the most talented.

I was also really excited to see Brian Hill on the sideline next to May. He's huge for a 17 or 18 year old. If I didn't know better I would've thought he was a JUCO player.

All in all we're going to have a great group of RB's this year and for years to come
Last edited by theman12 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

If we still of o-line issues this fall I guess we would see Thorton or Stratton. Nothing against Kirk, but the other 2 have better legs. I would really like to see Stratton, in my opinion he reminds me of the attitude Brett Smith had. I think any QB, minus Young, would be ok in the system this year with the talent around him. Young just needs a redshirt and let the game come to him. I won't be able to see a game this year until November since I will be deployed, but will always try and listen to the games. Without Fort or Smith in town yet my depth chart for QB is Stratton, Thorton, Kirk, and I believe they all bring a different tangible to the game.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

CampWyo wrote:
BackHarlowRoad wrote:
CampWyo wrote:If you're only looking at numbers, then you weren't at the game. O-line will learn a lot this summer, because it's a lot technique stuff. Based on that, I think Young will surprise. He didn't look like the scrub this board makes him out to be. I think he's the best passer by far, even though he didn't get much of a chance to show it. He may shock people in August. I wouldn't count him out.
Are you related to Young?
I just think it's really funny to see the posts from all the "experts" on here. The great evaluators of talent!
I think it's funny that there are now at least 2 posters on this board who talk exclusively Aaron Young. It's obvious that you and Wyodawg12 are connected to the guy in some way. I'm just curious what that connection is. The bias is strong.

I'm no expert and I wasn't at the Spring Game, so maybe he is way better than his stats show. During the season, however, stat lines that look like Young's usually belong to the losing team. Just an observation, don't need to be Bill Walsh to see that.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

There was a third poster as well...I think all three are close friends of Young, since they joined the boards the same time that he joined the team. There is nothing wrong with supporting your friend, but you also have to be honest with yourself. Sometimes you have to take the blinders off and call the baby ugly.

No one is saying that Young is a bad QB. In fact, we all want to see ALL the Pokes succeed, even Young. The truth, however, is that he is buried in the depth chart. He may have a huge upside, but it has not been proven at this point. Maybe he needs to grow some more from within the system. We don't know, either.

Whoever is QB this fall has a lot of work cut out for them...and we'll support whoever that is.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

kdwrightuwyo wrote:No one is saying that Young is a bad QB. In fact, we all want to see ALL the Pokes succeed, even Young.
+1

I, for one, would love to see Young become the bad ass his friends say he is. Give me a reason to jump on the bandwagon, Aaron.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

CampWyo wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
CampWyo wrote:If you're only looking at numbers, then you weren't at the game. O-line will learn a lot this summer, because it's a lot technique stuff. Based on that, I think Young will surprise. He didn't look like the scrub this board makes him out to be. I think he's the best passer by far, even though he didn't get much of a chance to show it. He may shock people in August. I wouldn't count him out.
What about those of us that were there at the game?
Young did not look good.
I'm not saying he had an outstanding game. And you saying he didn't look good is only your opinion. There are others that thought he showed some of the skills he has that are better than the others. So, who's the experts, you and others that didn't think he did well or those that did? If some are anti Young, they saw things to support it, and if you're pro Young, there were things to support that. Frankly though, you could say that about all of them.

If anything I was pro-Young, so don't get all preachy to me.
I thought Young was good until Bohl made him 3rd or 4th string.
So, yeah back to the evaluators...I think Bohl knows what he is doing. If Young was truly the best QB he would be the starter right now.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:My Concern is that if we are a power run team opposing teams will put seven in the box to stop the run and force us to pass. If, and when that happens we are going to be forced to pass the ball and from the looks of things that is going to be a tale task!
Running on a seven man front is no problem. Eight And nine in the box is what we will be dealing with. Our Qbs have to make the throws and when pressure comes get rid of it. I saw to many TFLs and Sacks. Biggest concern is O line, Qb and defensive depth. If we can get consistant blocking Wick and May will take care of the rest. If Kirk is our guy then so be it, I dont see anyone else starting at Qb unless the Florida Qb is another Brett Smith or ACS.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

mwc fan wrote: Running on a seven man front is no problem. Eight And nine in the box is what we will be dealing with. Our Qbs have to make the throws and when pressure comes get rid of it. I saw to many TFLs and Sacks. Biggest concern is O line, Qb and defensive depth. If we can get consistant blocking Wick and May will take care of the rest. If Kirk is our guy then so be it, I dont see anyone else starting at Qb unless the Florida Qb is another Brett Smith or ACS.
What was the time from snap to sack in general? Most pro-style offenses in college need 3-4 seconds minimum (2-3 for pros).

Because of the steep learning curve for the o-line and qbs, I would imagine that we can gain about 1/2 to 1 second of pass protection and getting a throw out just by getting those guys familiar with the offense and blocking schemes.

Still, the pro-style O requires a QB that can make several reads and then make the throw all in 3-4 seconds. I think that is why a lot of colleges have found more success with the spread. 1 read and go.

It will be interesting to follow, and I am definitely concerned as well. However, on the plus side, we should still see substantial progress just from the players becoming more familiar with the offense. In other words, I don't think ability is limiting at this point.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build in a change.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

HR_Poke wrote:I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build in a change.
That doesn't make much sense with all due respect. The coaches have been running this offense for years and their playbook is totally a Pro Style playbook, so the coaches would have to make a whole new playbook now, and after teaching the kids the Pro Style playbook for all of Spring Ball you would have them then start a new Spread Offense playbook for the Fall Camp??????

There is always going to be a transition period when a new coaching staff comes into play and putting it off isn't going to do Wyoming any good for moving forward, besides ALL of the recruiting class that Wyoming just signed was signed to play a Pro Style on the offensive side, so you would change these guys up or not teach them the Pro Style at all?

If you wanted to see total confusion on and off the field next year they would implement your plan, again with all due respect.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

I think you will see components of the spread incorporated with the Pro this year. At the Spring game I watched as we ran both the inside and outside zone. These are two of base run plays in a spread offense. Another thing to keep in mind is that you only saw a very small portion of the spring playbook in the game.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

Slow Hand wrote:I think you will see components of the spread incorporated with the Pro this year. At the Spring game I watched as we ran both the inside and outside zone. These are two of base run plays in a spread offense. Another thing to keep in mind is that you only saw a very small portion of the spring playbook in the game.
One of the biggest differences between the Spread and the Pro are the blocking schemes. They are working hard to implement the blocking schemes for a Pro Style while using sweeps and other similar plays. If we started to change the blocking schemes back to a Spread style if would be total confusion and make the program look really bad.
mwc fan
Cowpoke

HR_Poke wrote:I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build inside.
When Bobby Hauck took over at UNLV they had no Tight ends and no fullback. He came over from Montana with his successful pro style offense and we all know how long it took UNLV to go to a bowl game. I would take that into consideration. Running spread elements would definitely help in this transition. Otherwise history will repeat itself.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

mwc fan wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build inside.
When Bobby Hauck took over at UNLV they had no Tight ends and no fullback. He came over from Montana with his successful pro style offense and we all know how long it took UNLV to go to a bowl game. I would take that into consideration. Running spread elements would definitely help in this transition. Otherwise history will repeat itself.
Craig Bohl is a much better coach than Bobby Hauck, though. Hauck had success at Montana, but Bohl had sustained success at NDSU.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
Craig Bohl is a much better coach than Bobby Hauck, though. Hauck had success at Montana, but Bohl had sustained success at NDSU.
This and the fact UNLV has never been a football school. It is impressive Hauck was able to get them to a bowl game in the first place.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia ... istory.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Slow Hand wrote:I think you will see components of the spread incorporated with the Pro this year. At the Spring game I watched as we ran both the inside and outside zone. These are two of base run plays in a spread offense. Another thing to keep in mind is that you only saw a very small portion of the spring playbook in the game.
Yup.

There is a misconception that his power run attack is with a FB and two TEs running down your throat every play. In reality, he mixed things up a fair amount last year.

Now, this year we might see a stripped down version because its his first year, but you will definitely see some different things incorporated
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
This and the fact UNLV has never been a football school. It is impressive Hauck was able to get them to a bowl game in the first place.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia ... istory.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But now UNLV is on academic probation for not keeping up the grades of the players. Hauck and UNLV paid a price for doing it their way, do we want to follow the way that UNLV and Hauck did it? For me, I don't want to go down that path......we almost did with basketball and I thought that we learned from that.