If I were Coach Bohl....

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

HR_Poke wrote:I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build in a change.
I don't think we have the tools to run the spread offense anymore. We lost them all. We lost our 2 dynamic, play making quarterbacks, we lost our primary threat at receiver.

What was considered a weak spot at the beginning of last year, our running backs, are now our strength. Now it's our QBs/WRs that are a question mark.

Our O-line has always been a question mark, I have no idea where we stand with them.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build in a change.
I don't think we have the tools to run the spread offense anymore. We lost them all. We lost our 2 dynamic, play making quarterbacks, we lost our primary threat at receiver.

What was considered a weak spot at the beginning of last year, our running backs, are now our strength. Now it's our QBs/WRs that are a question mark.

Our O-line has always been a question mark, I have no idea where we stand with them.
I agree...but still think WR is a strength. We only lost Herron from a deep corp last year. Claiborne seems to have picked it up a notch as did Trent Sewell and Nico Brown.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

PotatoCreekPete wrote:
That doesn't make much sense with all due respect. The coaches have been running this offense for years and their playbook is totally a Pro Style playbook, so the coaches would have to make a whole new playbook now, and after teaching the kids the Pro Style playbook for all of Spring Ball you would have them then start a new Spread Offense playbook for the Fall Camp??????

There is always going to be a transition period when a new coaching staff comes into play and putting it off isn't going to do Wyoming any good for moving forward, besides ALL of the recruiting class that Wyoming just signed was signed to play a Pro Style on the offensive side, so you would change these guys up or not teach them the Pro Style at all?

If you wanted to see total confusion on and off the field next year they would implement your plan, again with all due respect.
Clearly you aren't following. I wouldn't have implemented a full west coast system at all. I would have kept running the spread and make a slow transition to the west coast offense.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

mwc fan wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build inside.
When Bobby Hauck took over at UNLV they had no Tight ends and no fullback. He came over from Montana with his successful pro style offense and we all know how long it took UNLV to go to a bowl game. I would take that into consideration. Running spread elements would definitely help in this transition. Otherwise history will repeat itself.
This is my concern as well. We don't have any play makers at QB right now, but we are loaded at WR still and have some depth at RB. I understand it's going to be painful to rebuild. But a 3 year rebuilding process is going to suck for fans and suck for attendance.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

BackHarlowRoad wrote:

I wonder if we could have kept Brett or Thompson if Bohl would have stayed with the spread. We will never know and it could just be pie in the sky thinking. But we don't have the lineman to run a pro-style offense that allows a QB to make multiple reads. They couldn't even hold a block long enough for the spread but it sounds like they performed better under a spread than they did this spring.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

WYO1016 wrote:
mwc fan wrote:
HR_Poke wrote:I'm wondering if Bohl would have been better off continuing to use the spread instead of pushing a change to a west coast power run offense. We have the tools to run the spread but not his style of offense. Work with what you got until you can build inside.
When Bobby Hauck took over at UNLV they had no Tight ends and no fullback. He came over from Montana with his successful pro style offense and we all know how long it took UNLV to go to a bowl game. I would take that into consideration. Running spread elements would definitely help in this transition. Otherwise history will repeat itself.
Craig Bohl is a much better coach than Bobby Hauck, though. Hauck had success at Montana, but Bohl had sustained success at NDSU.
Hauck had sustained success at Montana.. he was like 80-17 as HC. Bohl was 104-32, which was actually a lower winning % than Hauck at Montana.
ImageImageImageImage
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Bohl wasn't hired to run the spread offense, so why would you expect him to change his coaching philosophies upon getting to Wyoming.

Bohl is instilling a culture change here, putting his own mark on the program. He can't do that by coaching a system that he hasn't had much experience with.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

Good coaches work with what they have and adapt. Especially in today's CFB world where you are lucky to get 3 years to prove you can win.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

HR_Poke wrote:Good coaches work with what they have and adapt. Especially in today's CFB world where you are lucky to get 3 years to prove you can win.
Adapt, yes. Change their entire offensive philosophy, no.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: Adapt, yes. Change their entire offensive philosophy, no.
Chris Petersen is a better coach than Craig Bohl, and he did change his entire offensive philosophy last year and is taking it with him to Washington.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
Chris Petersen is a better coach than Craig Bohl, and he did change his entire offensive philosophy last year and is taking it with him to Washington.
He only changed it when it wasn't working. We've seen here the spread doesn't work, thats why the change to Bohl's system, but now you want to keep the spread?
BJC
A Real Cowboy

wow..........can the season just hurry up and start........

I think we all know there is going to be a change in philosophy and I'd assume the coaches are smart enough to tweak things to suit the strengths of the team.

*Strawberry jelly is better than grape jelly.
**The chicken came before the egg.
***We never landed on the moon :popcorn:
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

J-Rod wrote:

Meh...verdict is still out on Bohl. Peterson had success at Boise, but was tailoring off. I am not convinced he is better than Bohl. Bohl has a lot to prove, but he has had incredible success at the places that he has been. Petersen....We will see if he has success at Washington. I could see him sucking it up there. I believe Bohl is a perfect fit for Wyoming and will have eventual success. But we will not be good these first couple years. jmo.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
He only changed it when it wasn't working. We've seen here the spread doesn't work, thats why the change to Bohl's system, but now you want to keep the spread?
The spread works just fine. You just can't run the same 4 plays over and over. Fresno runs the spread and it worked well for them.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

I wasn't at the spring game, but by reading the comments on here and talking to those who saw it, we are in a world of hurt at the quarterback position. On a lighter note, everyone have a great summer. Can't wait until football season!
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

SDPokeFan wrote:I wasn't at the spring game, but by reading the comments on here and talking to those who saw it, we are in a world of hurt at the quarterback position. On a lighter note, everyone have a great summer. Can't wait until football season!
I don't think I've seen a world of hurt comment about the QB position by anyone who attended the spring game. And all indications are the team doesn't need a superb QB to run the offense....just someone who won't make stupid mistakes.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:I wasn't at the spring game, but by reading the comments on here and talking to those who saw it, we are in a world of hurt at the quarterback position. On a lighter note, everyone have a great summer. Can't wait until football season!
I don't think I've seen a world of hurt comment about the QB position by anyone who attended the spring game. And all indications are the team doesn't need a superb QB to run the offense....just someone who won't make stupid mistakes.
Maybe not the exact words world of hurt, but I think a lot of the guys are less than confident with the position. I still think Smith will start next season, anyway.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
This remains to be seen. He certainly had better backing from his AD on up through the state legislature.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYCowboy wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
This remains to be seen. He certainly had better backing from his AD on up through the state legislature.
Sadly we have the COMPLETE opposite in Wyoming. :roll: :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
mwc fan
Cowpoke

joshvanklomp wrote:Bohl wasn't hired to run the spread offense, so why would you expect him to change his coaching philosophies upon getting to Wyoming.

Bohl is instilling a culture change here, putting his own mark on the program. He can't do that by coaching a system that he hasn't had much experience with.
I understand Bohl doesnt have much experience with running the spread, but the players do. Is it easier for the coaches to learn spread concepts or an entire offense? I dont want to see us as another Team like UNLV was in transition. The fans in Wyoming will only be patient for so long. DC came in and took us to a Bowl game immediately. He couldn't sustain that annually, but it wasn't a case of the Offense not performing. Now we've just turned into the opposite, a team in transition where we have a presumably good defense and a questionable offense. Are we truly better off? Or are we UNLV 2.0?