"Good enough IS good enough"- the "NEW" athletics plan,

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It's on paper. Right now we strive to be average.

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... df7f3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Sat May 24, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

"....and almost never finishes last"

lol seriously, who wrote these goals?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:"....and almost never finishes last"

I personally as a fan am embarrassed that our AD or anyone in a position of power at UW had the nerve to say that to a media source. The fact that someone even said that shows that they don't care plain and simple. It could have been said 100 different ways that would have made it acceptable.

In a conversation about goals the word last should never be used by anyone from UW.

This type of wording is exactly what we use the term mediocre so loosely around here, Because of writing poop like that on anything and thinking it is ok to say finishing above .500 is acceptable.

MEDIOCRE That is all UW Athletics will ever be until Burman is gone.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Here's some material they cut out of the "Good Enough is Good Enough" plan for athletics:

1. Wyoming should almost never lose by 50 unless we're playing big 5 conference teams, road MWC games, and home games vs. certain smaller conference teams that are voted as much better than us by a committee consisting of Tom Burman, Lee Moon, and Spooge(the horse mascot).

2. We should never, under any circumstance lose to women's teams, except in closed door scrimmages that aren't broadcast to the public.

3. Conference championships are recommended. If they aren't attainable, it is acceptable to finish 6th as long as you promise that next year is going to be better.

4. All UW athletes will be taken to McDonalds for ice cream after any victory or close loss(close loss is defined as less than 18 points). A blow-out loss will not be rewarded with ice cream unless the team that blew us out agrees to buy us the ice cream.

5. The spirit squad is targeted for major improvement. The girls will be required to be slightly enthusiastic, at least average in looks, and able to do a handstand, cartwheel, or summersault. We will make exceptions to the handstand or cartwheel rule for 3-5 fatties per season that have above average personalities.

6. 6th place ribbons will be rewarded at an end of the season banquet/celebration for any team or individual that finishes in the upper half. The banquet/celebration will be catered by Flying J and will feature a local band that is moderately talented and inexpensive.

7. A new memorial wall will be created to honor and reward any Wyoming athletics team that finishes above .500.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

Good stuff junky!
W-Y, Until I Die!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:
J-Rod wrote:"....and almost never finishes last"

I personally as a fan am embarrassed that our AD or anyone in a position of power at UW had the nerve to say that to a media source. The fact that someone even said that shows that they don't care plain and simple. It could have been said 100 different ways that would have made it acceptable.

In a conversation about goals the word last should never be used by anyone from UW.

This type of wording is exactly what we use the term mediocre so loosely around here, Because of writing poop like that on anything and thinking it is ok to say finishing above .500 is acceptable.

MEDIOCRE That is all UW Athletics will ever be until Burman is gone.
Wyo2Dal...I get your point, but read my signature.

Air Force a few years ago for 5 or 6 years was mediocre. 2-3 in bowl games over a 6 year stretch. That's mediocre. 2-1 in Bowl Games over 8 years and only being Bowl Eligible 4 times in the last 17 or so is awful.

And, I believe that they (Wyo administration) can get away with saying things like this because the fans just do not care.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Ok from now on I won't call us mediocre I'll just say we flat out suck.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:Ok from now on I won't call us mediocre I'll just say we flat out suck.
Unfortunately it's more accurate.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

The culture starts at the top and our AD won't even pretend he expects wins. Set low expectations and deliver worse.
52-56
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... 190c0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least this is slightly more positive. Still too many "probably's" and "maybe's"....but at least people are aware Wyoming is f-word if they don't opt to fund these new stipends/rules.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

It's a performance standard. You can't attact coaches to a job like Wyoming if the written standard to which he is measured is championships or bust. Especially if you can't provide those coaches with the financial resources that would help him compete for a championship annually. Burman mentioned that with increased funding and better performance, that bar will be raised.

Would any of you take a job at a company where your position isn't properly funded, the customer base is significantly smaller than the competition, and your performance standard coming in is that the company must reach a ranking of #1 in the region within two years and it must maintain that ranking or your fired? Of course you wouldn't. You'd take a job where the standard is to improve the company's standing and be more competitive with other companies. Once you are more competitive, then the standard is raised to win championships more often than not.

You may be able to build a program, but if you can't get over the top and win championships, then it's time to find someone that can. You don't set that bar when you're usually in the bottom half of the conference. You set the standard of excellence when you're legitimately competing for championships year in and year out.

What Burman is saying isn't accepting mediocrity. It's the first realistic step toward attracting quality coaches to build championship programs.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

wyopig wrote:It's a performance standard. You can't attact coaches to a job like Wyoming if the written standard to which he is measured is championships or bust. Especially if you can't provide those coaches with the financial resources that would help him compete for a championship annually. Burman mentioned that with increased funding and better performance, that bar will be raised.

Would any of you take a job at a company where your position isn't properly funded, the customer base is significantly smaller than the competition, and your performance standard coming in is that the company must reach a ranking of #1 in the region within two years and it must maintain that ranking or your fired? Of course you wouldn't. You'd take a job where the standard is to improve the company's standing and be more competitive with other companies. Once you are more competitive, then the standard is raised to win championships more often than not.

You may be able to build a program, but if you can't get over the top and win championships, then it's time to find someone that can. You don't set that bar when you're usually in the bottom half of the conference. You set the standard of excellence when you're legitimately competing for championships year in and year out.

What Burman is saying isn't accepting mediocrity. It's the first realistic step toward attracting quality coaches to build championship programs.
BS, this is a 7 year strategic plan and he does nothing to raise the bar for competiveness. This isn't anything but making excuses for the next 7 years of mediocrity. The strategic plan should be to acquire the necessary funding and expect to compete for championships. Instead we get TBD and finish in top half of conference almost never finishing last. You get what you aim for, and right now we are not aiming to be anything but middle of the pack.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Wyolie Coyote wrote: BS, this is a 7 year strategic plan and he does nothing to raise the bar for competiveness. This isn't anything but making excuses for the next 7 years of mediocrity. The strategic plan should be to acquire the necessary funding and expect to compete for championships. Instead we get TBD and finish in top half of conference almost never finishing last. You get what you aim for, and right now we are not aiming to be anything but middle of the pack.
That's BS. I'm glad you're not our AD. You'd be stuck promoting a football coach from Wheatland High School instead of attracting someone like Craig Bohl.

The TBD looks bad in a document that been released to the public, but you shouldn't release a document that says the legislature is going to float the bill for a lot of your budget when you're just starting a new campaign to raise funds from the legislature. I know that Burman is an easy punching bag around here, but I'd beg people to take an objective look at what's going on. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, and don't set unreasonable and unfunded performance standards when you're trying to attract talented people to run your programs.

You say that it's a 7 year document. If we're truly competitive in 7 years, why wouldn't the performance standard be raised? Legirski's team has been highly competitive in the MWC for the better part of a decade, yet he's never won a championship. According to you, he should definitely be fired. He won't though, because we're "settling for mediocrity." He's actually not going to be fired because he's gotten more out of a program that we've seen in it's history. He has them in a position to win championships, yet he's never gotten over the top. Is it time to raise the standard of performance for Legerski? Maybe.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

wyopig wrote:It's a performance standard. You can't attact coaches to a job like Wyoming if the written standard to which he is measured is championships or bust. Especially if you can't provide those coaches with the financial resources that would help him compete for a championship annually. Burman mentioned that with increased funding and better performance, that bar will be raised.

I was trying to figure out a way to say the same thing but you nailed it Wyopig. I dislike the wording of the document as well (the "hardly evers" and "sometimes" part is absurd), but I absolutely agree that it is a performance standard for coaches, a baseline requirement. I think stronger verbage and a set timeline for success would have sounded much better, but he'd have to stick to it no questions asked. Coaching hires/fires would then he very black/white to only those things which can be objectively measured.

If Burman worded this document the way we all want him to: "Championships or you're out", he would be forced to fire every coach in our department every two years. I can guarantee you that strategy won't work.

Pig's workplace analogy is solid.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Is competing for championships the same as winning an outright championship? If UW football competes for championships 3 of 4 years, and then rebuilds for one, it that acceptable to everyone? Of Burman's tenure, how many championships has UW competed for (in ALL MWC sports)?

If fans stop voicing their displeasure and demanding some sort of measured success (that may indicate a change), does that mean they have become indifferent?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote:Is competing for championships the same as winning an outright championship? If UW football competes for championships 3 of 4 years, and then rebuilds for one, it that acceptable to everyone? Of Burman's tenure, how many championships has UW competed for (in ALL MWC sports)?

If fans stop voicing their displeasure and demanding some sort of measured success (that may indicate a change), does that mean they have become indifferent?
Further, I forgot (not really), the MWC conference has become substantially weaker during Burman's tenure as well (losing bWHYu, Utah, and TCU), and we still can't / don't compete.

:shock:
Dear Karma,

BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Is competing for championships the same as winning an outright championship? If UW football competes for championships 3 of 4 years, and then rebuilds for one, it that acceptable to everyone? Of Burman's tenure, how many championships has UW competed for (in ALL MWC sports)?

Further, I forgot (not really), the MWC conference has become substantially weaker during Burman's tenure as well (losing bWHYu, Utah, and TCU), and we still can't / don't compete.

:shock:
I didn't say fans should stop voicing their displeasure, nor am I saying that Burman the greatest AD ever. I just understand why it's written the way it is. It's more than a "perfect scenario" document, it has to be measurable and realistic...and it could have been done much, much better.

Unfortunately the way the NCAA is now, success doesn't come just because you want it or work hard for it. Success is bought, straight up.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:I didn't say fans should stop voicing their displeasure, nor am I saying that Burman the greatest AD ever. I just understand why it's written the way it is. It's more than a "perfect scenario" document, it has to be measurable and realistic...and it could have been done much, much better.
I agree with the last part of your statement completely, as I think most here (if not all) do. I think our fanbase is becoming "Idaho" - in other words, more and more people are losing the desire to care. Each year, it gets worse, and the numbness starts to fog over the fanbase further. And UW becomes irrelevant - or more irrelevant. And that, IMO, is completely avoidable, by an athletic department and leader that have vision, inspiration, desire, etc. None of which they have...as further evident by the poop document we are all discussing.
Dear Karma,

Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

wyopig wrote:
Wyolie Coyote wrote: BS, this is a 7 year strategic plan and he does nothing to raise the bar for competiveness. This isn't anything but making excuses for the next 7 years of mediocrity. The strategic plan should be to acquire the necessary funding and expect to compete for championships. Instead we get TBD and finish in top half of conference almost never finishing last. You get what you aim for, and right now we are not aiming to be anything but middle of the pack.
That's BS. I'm glad you're not our AD. You'd be stuck promoting a football coach from Wheatland High School instead of attracting someone like Craig Bohl.

The TBD looks bad in a document that been released to the public, but you shouldn't release a document that says the legislature is going to float the bill for a lot of your budget when you're just starting a new campaign to raise funds from the legislature. I know that Burman is an easy punching bag around here, but I'd beg people to take an objective look at what's going on. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, and don't set unreasonable and unfunded performance standards when you're trying to attract talented people to run your programs.

You say that it's a 7 year document. If we're truly competitive in 7 years, why wouldn't the performance standard be raised? Legirski's team has been highly competitive in the MWC for the better part of a decade, yet he's never won a championship. According to you, he should definitely be fired. He won't though, because we're "settling for mediocrity." He's actually not going to be fired because he's gotten more out of a program that we've seen in it's history. He has them in a position to win championships, yet he's never gotten over the top. Is it time to raise the standard of performance for Legerski? Maybe.
So in the business world, releasing a 7 year outlook without the goal of not gaining market share or increasing sales would suffice? Hardly! The document is a 7 year strategic plan, it should be an outline of how we get to winning championships on a consistent basis. It should not state that we expect to finish in the upper half and hardly ever last. That is absurd! It is a "plan", that means it should be something that raises and sets a higher bar than the current philosophy. In the business world, you and Burman would be standing next to each other in the unemployment line.
And yes, Legerski should be examined and evaluated. He needs to win a championship in my book. He just got passed up by a third year coach at CSU. That is not acceptable.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

This is the issue right here, Last time Wyoming won a Division outright was 1996

1996: 10-2-0

Coach: Joe Tiller
WAC - Pacific Division Champions

We lost to BYU 28-25

Since 1996 UW has been completely oblivious to Conference competition. Sure we have had some winning records and some Bowl games but the simple fact of the matter is that for nearly 20 years we have been a step ladder for TCU, Utah, BYU and Boise.

We have been beat every which way we can and we have done nothing to improve that. Now we have a 7 year plan to not be stood on but to compete with those that have been standing on us. But not to compete with anyone above that.

Not only was the wording awful and made it seem as no one cares. If this suicide hotline " Motivational Speech " I would just kill myself because there is absolutely zero motivation.