Burman Extended

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ProudWYOAlum
Ranch Hand

I like the extension. Sustainability is crucial in today's college atmosphere. I don't think there's a guy that would put more into the job and could establish better relationships with the State Leg.

The facilities have been built and upgraded. Good coaches have been hired.

His only bad hire was Schroyer. DC was a solid hire at the time, didn't work out.

Ticket sales are down because we are playing on espn and CBS Sports Net these days. That said, we are about to sellout our season opener vs Montana.

I'm with VisorHair, I guess I don't see the doom and gloom like you all do.
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

ProudWYOAlum wrote:I like the extension. Sustainability is crucial in today's college atmosphere. I don't think there's a guy that would put more into the job and could establish better relationships with the State Leg.

His only bad hire was Schroyer. DC was a solid hire at the time, didn't work out.

Ticket sales are down because we are playing on espn and CBS Sports Net these days. That said, we are about to sellout our season opener vs Montana.

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Did I wake up this morning in an alternate dimension?! I could have sworn that less than 6 months ago this board was about to organize a lynch mob and head for Burman's office. Now I get on here and it seems like almost 50% of this thread's commenters aren't just accepting, but actually pleased by the extension?! I'm not saying whether I agree or not with the extension, but it seems like we have quite a few people that have suddenly changed their tune as of late.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

HiCountryCowboy wrote:
ProudWYOAlum wrote:I like the extension. Sustainability is crucial in today's college atmosphere. I don't think there's a guy that would put more into the job and could establish better relationships with the State Leg.

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

HiCountryCowboy wrote:

That right there says it all. Facilities can get done by any primate put into that position, show me accomplishments on the field/court. Where is Dr Bob? We need him back so he can fire one more department head. Burman should have been tied to Schroyers career path, he was the one that hitched his horse to that buggy. Unforgivable how our basketball program was run into the ground.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Meh, some people buy into the poor us and how hard it is to do things in WYO mentality. Some don't. Those that don't will support a leadership change. Those that buy into the poor me philosophy will support Burman. As long as WYO fields a team we are doing well, right?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

Wyolie Coyote wrote:
HiCountryCowboy wrote:

That right there says it all. Facilities can get done by any primate put into that position, show me accomplishments on the field/court. Where is Dr Bob? We need him back so he can fire one more department head. Burman should have been tied to Schroyers career path, he was the one that hitched his horse to that buggy. Unforgivable how our basketball program was run into the ground.
Larry is doing fine, and won with Heath's players! DC went to two bowls (1 more than Joe), wrestling is at an all-time high, what else? As if you all really honestly give a poop about track, xc, tennis, swimming, etc. Get real. :willybs:

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

VisorHair wrote:
Wyolie Coyote wrote:
HiCountryCowboy wrote:

Larry is doing fine, and won with Heath's players! DC went to two bowls (1 more than Joe), wrestling is at an all-time high, what else? As if you all really honestly give a poop about track, xc, tennis, swimming, etc. Get real. :willybs:
Mediocrity at its best, at least someone is satisfied with the status quo. :lame:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

VisorHair wrote: Larry is doing fine, and won with Heath's players! DC went to two bowls (1 more than Joe), wrestling is at an all-time high, what else? As if you all really honestly give a poop about track, xc, tennis, swimming, etc. Get real. :willybs:
LOL. Wow, now I fully understand the problem at Wyo. I guess it is what the majority want, so, yeah, Burman is exactly what WYO needs.

Let's all hope for that one great season every decade or two.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyolie Coyote wrote: Mediocrity at its best, at least someone is satisfied with the status quo. :lame:
As Beaver (I think) pointed out, mediocrity would be an improvement at this point.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Damn.......you guys better go vote in Gagliardi's poll. The numbers are stunning and ridiculous. Must be a stacked poll. Right? :thumb:
https://twitter.com/rpgagliardi/status/ ... 0045939712 http://www.wyosports.net/
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

POKE FAN wrote:Damn.......you guys better go vote in Gagliardi's poll. The numbers are stunning and ridiculous. Must be a stacked poll. Right? :thumb:
https://twitter.com/rpgagliardi/status/ ... 0045939712 http://www.wyosports.net/
The sample size is so ridiculously small right now...so the poll isn't worth using as toilet paper.

Further, on this board, you are dealing with the most passionate of the fanbase (obviously). I would venture to say, if you did a poll here, the results would be similar to the trend of this thread.

What is odd, is that some people actually believe the only "mistake" he made was hiring Heath. And extending Heath (I guess that is 2). That either means the fanbase is in complete denial mode "waiting for next year", or has an Alzheimer's type memory.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Near the bottom of the MWC in every meaningful category consistently over the past 8 years. I guess that works for most people.

The flip side is that maybe the Burman support is a symptom of falling interest in the program.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:Damn.......you guys better go vote in Gagliardi's poll. The numbers are stunning and ridiculous. Must be a stacked poll. Right? :thumb:
The sample size is so ridiculously small right now...so the poll isn't worth using as toilet paper.

Further, on this board, you are dealing with the most passionate of the fanbase (obviously). I would venture to say, if you did a poll here, the results would be similar to the trend of this thread.

What is odd, is that some people actually believe the only "mistake" he made was hiring Heath. And extending Heath (I guess that is 2). That either means the fanbase is in complete denial mode "waiting for next year", or has an Alzheimer's type memory.
My background is/was statistical analysis. Show me where you find the total number of readers taking this poll to make the claim that the sample size is too small at this point. All readers of the WyoSports.net who read the sports portion are not competent enough to make their own decisions? They must first grasp the incredible insight of the WyoNation board?

Yes, Burman has pissed me off with things he's said in interviews in the past, but this continued crybabying heading into the Bohl/Shyatt/Branch era is really getting old. I think we have a SOLID set of head coaches here now who will FINALLY get things done over time. They are all highly respected by their peers.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

POKE FAN wrote: Yes, Burman has pissed me off with things he's said in interviews in the past, but this continued crybabying heading into the Bohl/Shyatt/Branch era is really getting old. I think we have a SOLID set of head coaches here now who will FINALLY get things done over time. They are all highly respected by their peers.
AD 101: coaches can't do squat if they aren't given the right tools. Our toolbox is on par with the worst in the MWC.

Oh well, as long as we hire new coaches every 4 to 5 years to pump sunshine up fans' behinds, then all is good. As long as we state how much we'd like to get or what we'd like to do, all is good. As long as we make everyone in the country know how remote and pathetic WYO is so recruiting suffers, I guess all is good.

poop, we expect the President of the US to turn around an entire country in 4 to 8 years. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect an AD to increase attendance and actually increase our position in the MWC--especially when the top teams leave. Burman has done none of this. The ONLY thing he has done is hire Bohl and Shyatt and some facility upgrades. The question is, could ONLY Burman have done that? My guess isn't just no but hell no.

We couldn't be much, if any, worse off with someone else. If it can't get any worse, it aint much of a risk to try something new.
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
POKE FAN wrote: Yes, Burman has pissed me off with things he's said in interviews in the past, but this continued crybabying heading into the Bohl/Shyatt/Branch era is really getting old. I think we have a SOLID set of head coaches here now who will FINALLY get things done over time. They are all highly respected by their peers.
AD 101: coaches can't do squat if they aren't given the right tools. Our toolbox is on par with the worst in the MWC.

Oh well, as long as we hire new coaches every 4 to 5 years to pump sunshine up fans' behinds, then all is good. As long as we state how much we'd like to get or what we'd like to do, all is good. As long as we make everyone in the country know how remote and pathetic WYO is so recruiting suffers, I guess all is good.

poop, we expect the President of the US to turn around an entire country in 4 to 8 years. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect an AD to increase attendance and actually increase our position in the MWC--especially when the top teams leave. Burman has done none of this. The ONLY thing he has done is hire Bohl and Shyatt and some facility upgrades. The question is, could ONLY Burman have done that? My guess isn't just no but hell no.

We couldn't be much, if any, worse off with someone else. If it can't get any worse, it aint much of a risk to try something new.
Hahahaha. You've lost it. And increased ticket revenue and raised more money than ever before.. But yet you're contradicting yourself here Wyo has top facilities (a critical tool) increased budgets for all major sports (a critical tool) - what other tools you looking for to that help coaches win besides money and facilities? You want him to recruit? You're funny. :rofl:

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

POKE FAN wrote:My background is/was statistical analysis. Show me where you find the total number of readers taking this poll to make the claim that the sample size is too small at this point. All readers of the WyoSports.net who read the sports portion are not competent enough to make their own decisions? They must first grasp the incredible insight of the WyoNation board?

Yes, Burman has pissed me off with things he's said in interviews in the past, but this continued crybabying heading into the Bohl/Shyatt/Branch era is really getting old. I think we have a SOLID set of head coaches here now who will FINALLY get things done over time. They are all highly respected by their peers.
Stats huh? Nerd. Just kidding! ;)

I only know the sample size is small from the 1.4 minutes between when I first looked at it and voted, and when I looked at it next, and looked at it now.

It went from 71% - 29%, to 66.6% - 33.3%, and now 63.6% to 36.4%. So, using your abacus, how many (what multiple) of voters do we have as a sample?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

VisorHair wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

Hahahaha. You've lost it. And increased ticket revenue and raised more money than ever before.. But yet you're contradicting yourself here Wyo has top facilities (a critical tool) increased budgets for all major sports (a critical tool) - what other tools you looking for to that help coaches win besides money and facilities? You want him to recruit? You're funny. :rofl:
And where do we rank in the MWC? Extend him for another 10 years, I don't need to see a championship in my lifetime. :brick:
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

VisorHair wrote: Hahahaha. You've lost it. And increased ticket revenue and raised more money than ever before.. But yet you're contradicting yourself here Wyo has top facilities (a critical tool) increased budgets for all major sports (a critical tool) - what other tools you looking for to that help coaches win besides money and facilities? You want him to recruit? You're funny. :rofl:
Great. He kept up with inflation. You still haven't told me how much worse we could since we are near the bottom of the MWC in every meaningful category. This is like a race and we are losing big time.

In other words, Burman hasn't kept up with his peer AD's. I guess he's sold you on how pathetic WYO is and how hard it is here. I say, BS, get the job done and actually increase our position in the MWC.

I guess if the majority of Wyo supports this crap, then we are what we are and we deserve it.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Is Burman the best AD in the world? No he is not. However he is a pretty solid AD and has come up with good hires with a limited budget to do it with. DC was a good hire, he didn't work here because it wasn't a good fit for him and the culture wasn't right. Heath was a terrible decision we have been over that. Shyatt was a great hire, Branch was a fantastic hire and wrestling is the best in it's history. Swimming is very good and will get better after facility upgrade that's coming. Volleyball is on the rise and has a very good coach, longest winning streak in conference in our history in his first year. Bohl appears to be a very good hire and at the very least a great ambassador for the program and state. Burman is obviously very respected by peers to be the mountain west representative for the playoff. In my opinion he grades at a 7/10 and that is a pretty good grade for a school of our size and budget restrictions. The main problem as I see it is a lack of funding support from the state, and you can blame Burman if you would like to, but nobody has any luck squeezing much from this state legislature no matter what the money is for and you will never convince me a new AD would do better at that. Burman deserves time to see if the big three of Shyatt, Branch, and Bohl works out for us and if it doesn't then you can start calling for his head, but he deserves at minimum three to four more years.