The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

McPeachy wrote:
25243 with a capacity of 29181

3938 short of a "sell out" - which was roughly 2,500 off from the "sell out meter" marketing thing UW did.

It is what it is...but obviously there is a disconnect somewhere at UW
Is it possible that 1,400 tickets were sold but went unused? Seems like a lot to waste, but wouldn't surprise me considering the thousands of people who left a close game marking the beginning of a new era because of a half hour delay.

I (sort of) understand an emptying stadium in a 40pt blowout in a blizzard, but a close game in the beginning of the 4th qtr with rain drops? I'll be pissed about this for a decade, haha.
Last edited by BackHarlowRoad on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

3938 short of a "sell out" - which was roughly 2,500 off from the "sell out meter" marketing thing UW did.

Is it possible that 1,400 tickets were sold but went unused? Seems like a lot to waste, but wouldn't surprise me considering the thousands of people who left a close game marking the beginning of a new era because of a half hour delay.
How many students did actually show up? The student section will always fill up because people get in there from other seats if there's room...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

BackHarlowRoad wrote:

I (sort of) understand an emptying stadium in a 40pt blowout in a blizzard, but a close game in the beginning of the 4th qtr with rain drops? I'll be pissed about this for a decade, haha.
This surprises you?

That's Wyo for ya...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
McPeachy wrote:

Actually, most people stayed after the first lighting delay. It was after the 2nd when fewer people showed up to watch the rest of the game. I know this is a weak excuse and shouldn't be considering these people are mostly from Wyoming, but many people weren't dressed for the 20 plus temperature decrease. Prepare for the elements Wyoming fans.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I think a lot of businesses in and around Wyo buys lot of tickets for their companies. I had a few such offers for tickets from friends of my Mother-in-law's friends....all after I bought a ticket myself on Friday. Needless to say, those tickets went unused.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

I hated to leave when I did, but I had a work contract at 6:00 in Cheyenne. (I planned poorly) You can bet your ass that I won't be leaving another one early!
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

starting at the 4:25 mark is why i am optimistic this year...

it's not the only reason but is something we haven't seen in a RB for a while...
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

PokeTransplant...Wick carrying piles is nothing new. Definitely was not the first time he has done that.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

PokeTransplant wrote:

it's not the only reason but is something we haven't seen in a RB for a while...
4:55 mark is why I am optimistic going forward...That kid is going to be big time
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Sellout or 25k+, I'm damn impressed. That's more than CSU drew last year after a promising start and a close loss at Neb.
If we stay above 20k, I'll be happy. It's sub 20k that pisses me off, especially when there are no circumstances such as weather and closed roads that would drop it.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

The Ugly:

The 20,000 or so fans that left the game early when it was still in doubt and when the Pokes could have used the help! I am now convinced that there is nothing Cowboy tough about our fanbase. We have the most fair weather fans in all of football. Oh no, we have a little bit of rain and the termperature has dropped to the low 50's...better pack it up and watch the rest of the game from home. What a bunch of BS and I am embarassed for our state. Yes, I was there until the end and my girlfriend knew not even to suggest leaving early.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

kansasCowboy wrote:Sellout or 25k+, I'm damn impressed. That's more than CSU drew last year after a promising start and a close loss at Neb.
If we stay above 20k, I'll be happy. It's sub 20k that pisses me off, especially when there are no circumstances such as weather and closed roads that would drop it.
So 20001 you'll be happy and 19999 you'll be pissed?
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:Sellout or 25k+, I'm damn impressed. That's more than CSU drew last year after a promising start and a close loss at Neb.
So 20001 you'll be happy and 19999 you'll be pissed?

Yep.
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

fromolwyoming wrote:The Good-

Offensive play calling. Let's face it. Vigen had some questionable plays called. Like throwing it on 3rd and short. I know you want to build up Colby's confidence, and I think that first pass in the 2nd quarter did it, but force Montana to stop the run when they are having trouble doing that.
Vigen was the weak link at NDSU. During our two down seasons many of us felt his play calling was an issue. He seemed to improve significantly the last 3 years, but at times I wonder if that was because of the talent of the players, him maturing into the position of OC, or a little of both. Right now the offense seems to be lacking in talent. As Bohl and Co. are able to recruit better talent (and they surely will), it will be interesting to see how the play calling for the offense goes.

mwc fan
Cowpoke

WYOBISONMAN wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:The Good-

Offensive play calling. Let's face it. Vigen had some questionable plays called. Like throwing it on 3rd and short. I know you want to build up Colby's confidence, and I think that first pass in the 2nd quarter did it, but force Montana to stop the run when they are having trouble doing that.
Vigen was the weak link at NDSU. During our two down seasons many of us felt his play calling was an issue. He seemed to improve significantly the last 3 years, but at times I wonder if that was because of the talent of the players, him maturing into the position of OC, or a little of both. Right now the offense seems to be lacking in talent. As Bohl and Co. are able to recruit better talent (and they surely will), it will be interesting to see how the play calling for the offense goes.

What areas do you see the Cowboys lacking in talent? Let's compare it to the last three NDSU championship teams. I know the most glaring position would be Qb followed by O line depth. Elaborate a little more on your thoughts.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

PokeTransplant wrote:

I just sat down and watched Van Maanen do an amazing job as a lead blocker in that video. He's going to be very good when he gets closer to 250 pounds.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Isn't Van Maanen about 240lbs at last report? Because I remember hearing about something like that.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

fromolwyoming wrote:Isn't Van Maanen about 240lbs at last report? Because I remember hearing about something like that.
Soaking wet with ankle weights and fully clothed.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

JimmyDimes wrote: The defense is much improved. Need to tackle better on the out passes with one on one coverage. Jones finally learned his lesson and dropped the wr for a loss the last time Montana tried it. Their QB was pretty mobile and was able to convert a few 3rd and longs. The defense needs to work on their qb containment.
I'm by no means a football expert, but I thought for sure a fundamental skill in these situations is to close out quickly but then to chop your steps and break down before executing the tackle. Our DBs kept running straight at their WRs on those quick hitter plays without breaking down and we got exposed. And let me tell you something, if our game plan is to give a cushion and keep those plays in front of the DBs and we make those kind of tackling errors as often against Oregon as we did against Montana, that is going to be one long-ass day in Eugene.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Cowduck wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote: The defense is much improved. Need to tackle better on the out passes with one on one coverage. Jones finally learned his lesson and dropped the wr for a loss the last time Montana tried it. Their QB was pretty mobile and was able to convert a few 3rd and longs. The defense needs to work on their qb containment.
I'm by no means a football expert, but I thought for sure a fundamental skill in these situations is to close out quickly but then to chop your steps and break down before executing the tackle. Our DBs kept running straight at their WRs on those quick hitter plays without breaking down and we got exposed. And let me tell you something, if our game plan is to give a cushion and keep those plays in front of the DBs and we make those kind of tackling errors as often against Oregon as we did against Montana, that is going to be one long-ass day in Eugene.
Jones learned as he made a tackle for a loss on their last screen pass to his direction. You can only line up so close to the line of scrimmage....all these passes were behind the line. Other than the screen passes, I can't remember seeing any of our Dbacks give any type of cushion what so ever.

I agree about Oregon. But, they are suspect against the run. That kid from Sheridan was doing damage during the 1st half....what I was watching anyway.