Egloff: "There's something about Wyoming that's different"

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

He was the quarterback when we beat Florida State. Loved watching him play. A great guy and a hell of an ambassador for the University of Wyoming.

http://www.fanbase.com/Rick-Egloff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
WyoSapper
Buckaroo

This may be overly flowery and sentimental for some of the hard nosed posters here. But this article resonated with me and I think Egloff is spot on.

I think that this article truly speaks to the heart of the matter for many Cowboy and Cowgirl fans as to what we would like to see. I truly believe that UW is a distinguished university that provides a great education to its grads (UW08) and plays a huge role in the lives of people in this state. There is a hunger for UW fans to know how our teams did, especially if they are on a winning streak or performing well. In times of adversity, admittedly a lot of adversity these past few years, Wyoming fans need to have something else to hang our hat on, and the character, perseverance and toughness/durability of spirit that our teams show fills the void we have experienced in winning seasons recently. It is this character, I think,that draws people to the Pokes, especially when it is the qualities that we as a state respect and feel reflect us as a whole. I stop short in painting with a broad brush what exactly those qualities are, because there are a range of emotions and attitudes that people hold near and dear to their hearts that others might not reciprocate or find as important. Nevertheless, our student athletes at UW represent us, the state of Wyoming whenever they are on the road, at home, or televised. We want them to do well for the sake of the X's and O's, but more than that, we want a product on the field or court that, at the end of the day, we can be proud of and know that the athletes truly "get" what it means to wear the "bucking horse" and the Brown and Gold. That it is almost high school football, basketball, volleyball, etc. writ large. I say high school with no malice or in a derogatory nature but in reference to the sense of community you find in the "War" or "Dome" on game days. I have seen the same people in the same seats for years, a claim many of the larger schools cannot make as they push those who cannot pay out of attending and focusing on those who have deep pocketbooks...but not the passion of the regular folks. Sometimes all of this doesn't quite sink in until our "Pokes" leave the school, but I hope that they all remember UW as Egloff does and truly understand what and who they are playing for.

I think we have taken the right steps and are starting to find coaches that understand and respect who we are...not what they want us to be.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
wwcc22
Buckaroo

Well said, I love the Cowboys and Cowgirls, GO POKES
American Horse
Ranch Hand

When my father was going to grad school at UW, we lived right across the street from Rick and his first wife, Patti. When all us little kids would be playing football outside we would go over and ask if Rick would come out and play with us. He always did. When Patti would answer we would ask her if Rick could come out and play. I was 4 yrs. old. Rick was a class act then and is still one. Thanks for the memories.
Pokes Forever
Ranch Hand

WyoSapper wrote:This may be overly flowery and sentimental for some of the hard nosed posters here. But this article resonated with me and I think Egloff is spot on.

I think that this article truly speaks to the heart of the matter for many Cowboy and Cowgirl fans as to what we would like to see. I truly believe that UW is a distinguished university that provides a great education to its grads (UW08) and plays a huge role in the lives of people in this state. There is a hunger for UW fans to know how our teams did, especially if they are on a winning streak or performing well. In times of adversity, admittedly a lot of adversity these past few years, Wyoming fans need to have something else to hang our hat on, and the character, perseverance and toughness/durability of spirit that our teams show fills the void we have experienced in winning seasons recently. It is this character, I think,that draws people to the Pokes, especially when it is the qualities that we as a state respect and feel reflect us as a whole. I stop short in painting with a broad brush what exactly those qualities are, because there are a range of emotions and attitudes that people hold near and dear to their hearts that others might not reciprocate or find as important. Nevertheless, our student athletes at UW represent us, the state of Wyoming whenever they are on the road, at home, or televised. We want them to do well for the sake of the X's and O's, but more than that, we want a product on the field or court that, at the end of the day, we can be proud of and know that the athletes truly "get" what it means to wear the "bucking horse" and the Brown and Gold. That it is almost high school football, basketball, volleyball, etc. writ large. I say high school with no malice or in a derogatory nature but in reference to the sense of community you find in the "War" or "Dome" on game days. I have seen the same people in the same seats for years, a claim many of the larger schools cannot make as they push those who cannot pay out of attending and focusing on those who have deep pocketbooks...but not the passion of the regular folks. Sometimes all of this doesn't quite sink in until our "Pokes" leave the school, but I hope that they all remember UW as Egloff does and truly understand what and who they are playing for.

I think we have taken the right steps and are starting to find coaches that understand and respect who we are...not what they want us to be.
+1! I too miss the glory days.....too bad many on here can only read about it.....hopefully we have a coach that can bring back Cowboy football!