Is this a 5 year plan? Or longer?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:I know some of you on here say that Hawaii is decent, island play, time zone, etc. Although I agree with you to an extent, football is football.
I hope you never try to argue that we should've won a home game against a better team because of the altitude. After all, football is football. Clearly, things like time zones and altitude have zero effect on game play in your world.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
djm19 wrote:I know some of you on here say that Hawaii is decent, island play, time zone, etc. Although I agree with you to an extent, football is football.
I hope you never try to argue that we should've won a home game against a better team because of the altitude. After all, football is football. Clearly, things like time zones and altitude have zero effect on game play in your world.

I never said they have "zero" effect. Jeez man. Tap the brakes. But we are placing a lot of blame on elements.

That said, how did the altitude and playing on the island really affect the game the other night? I am asking this honestly? Not like we got steam rolled. Not like the crowd was wild and crazy. Sure there was a laser pointer, but that is a game we should have won. Stu's 50 yd kick *may* have went through in Laramie, sure.

But here is the reality. Hawaii gave us GIFTS all night long and we did nothing with them. Had nothing to do with playing the game in Hawaii. A field is a field. Missing blocks there is no different than missing blocks in practice.

I feel the same for last year. We had to beat a 1-11 team in OVERTIME. For hellsakes
Last edited by djm19 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

The team did not play disciplined Saturday night. Mental lapses on offense result of a missed block here and there. Maybe a false start. Our defensive lapses the other night were catastrophic. Not like a wrong read. Talking full blown coverages on multiple occasions and the worst display of tackling I have seen in a very long time. Those had nothing to do with Hawaii. The island. The coconuts. The pineapple. The timezone. The smell of roasting macadamia nuts. Everything to do with not playing football disciplined.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

djm19 wrote:The team did not play disciplined Saturday night. Mental lapses on offense result of a missed block here and there. Maybe a false start. Our defensive lapses the other night were catastrophic. Not like a wrong read. Talking full blown coverages on multiple occasions and the worst display of tackling I have seen in a very long time. Those had nothing to do with Hawaii. The island. The coconuts. The pineapple. The timezone. The smell of roasting macadamia nuts. Everything to do with not playing football disciplined.
I think the guys fell into some old habits. You know the saying....two steps forward and one step back. I think playing on the Island can have many affects on a team. Add in the fact they were playing between 10:00 pm and 1:30 am might have played a roll as well. No excuses, but this team is still learning how to play under Bohl instead of under DC.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

You guys are being stupid. We are exactly where we thought we'd be. There are no gimme wins, so why are we surprised when Hawaii beats us. Every game is going to be like this. Hell, I even expect to compete against csu , usu and bsu although it won't be nearly as close as some. We hit that FG against Hawaii and its tied. Sure, we gave up yards but we did what we needed to be in that game. We gave up a TD after a missed FG and then the game was over. Every game is going to be like this. We will probably win a few and lose some
W-Y, Until I Die!
Hayduke
Cowpoke

Pokes are on the right track. This IS a rebuilding year. 3-3 isn't bad when you consider it. I expect to win 2 more games and compete in about 3 more. Two probably won't be pretty.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
VisorHair
Ranch Hand

CowboyNV wrote:DC left this program in as much disarray as Schroyer left the basketball program in. Bohl inherited a mess, and it is going to take a while to fix it. I think he has the skillsets to be successful at Wyoming, but it is going to take time to right this ship. I'm willing to give him whatever time it takes to get this program back on solid footing. Look at what Shyatt is doing - recruiting at a high level now and the future looks bright. The same can happen under Bohl. The question is will he be able to pull it off. I'm hopeful but only time will tell. :twocents:
Really? One bowl game class and its a mess? They're different players for a different system. Wouldn't calculate that as a mess.

"In this geographical area; Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, and Western Kansas - there's a new Sheriff in town." - Coach Bohl
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

cowboyz wrote:Anyhoo, back to the topic, next year is a very favorable schedule.
Out of curiosity, how is sizing up our 5 year chances relative to the competition we face off topic? I would say it is very much on topic. If we were trying to compete in the MWC of old, then, yeah, we have a long ways to go.

With the current field of MWC teams, the hurdle is not nearly that high. Thus, a turnaround can occur much quicker. If it takes 5 years for WYO to compete in this conference, then Bohl and company have failed. As long as you don't lose scholarships, this conference just isn't good enough to require that much time to compete in.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

CowboyNV wrote:DC left this program in as much disarray as Schroyer left the basketball program in. Bohl inherited a mess, and it is going to take a while to fix it.
No way, man. Nothing about DC's program remotely approached the stinking, steaming pile Schroyer left behind. We didn't win enough, but that is as far as the comparison could go.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

laxwyo wrote: 1. You guys are being stupid. We are exactly where we thought we'd be.

2. There are no gimme wins, so why are we surprised when Hawaii beats us.

3. We hit that FG against Hawaii and its tied. We gave up a TD after a missed FG and then the game was over.

4. Every game is going to be like this.

5. We will probably win a few and lose some
1. Why are we being "stupid" when the thread was intended to discuss if the rebuild was going to take a while or not? Agree - I expected to be around .500 at this point in the season. And .330 at the end of the season. Obviously a rebuilding year...which I also expect in 2015, 2016, and possibly 2017. Hope I am dead wrong.

2. Not many are surprised from what I read / saw. Disappointed? Absolutely. Baffled at the lack of tackling skills for the second consecutive game? Absolutely. But playing on the island is (and always has been) a challenge - for every team.

3. That field goal, although Coach McPeachy wouldn't have tried for it, had nothing to do with poor tackling and blown coverages.

4. I think you are probably right - to a point. Against SJSU, FSU, and NM - yes, we will be close and in the game. Against CSewe, BSU, USU...they are going to kick our asses...like Oregon & Michigan State kick our asses. I just threw up re-reading that, but it is what it is.

5. I sure hope you are right. It starts Saturday. Could we finish 3 & 3? Certainly. I don't expect it though...I think we finish 1 & 5. Unless New Mexico finds their groove...then we finish 0'fer.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

My concern is that the Bohl system, especially on defense, doesn't work at this level. Yes, NDS beat some Div I teams, but that is because NDS had better players - they would have beaten the Pokes handily. The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see. If nothing is starting to come together by the 2016 season, then forget about it.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see.
He was able to recruit kids to Fargo, North Dakota. Why do you think he'll have trouble recruiting them to Laramie?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:My concern is that the Bohl system, especially on defense, doesn't work at this level. Yes, NDS beat some Div I teams, but that is because NDS had better players - they would have beaten the Pokes handily. The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see. If nothing is starting to come together by the 2016 season, then forget about it.
Look at MSU. They are what Bohl is going to try and make us into. And Nebraska's defense (also Tampa 2) has been doing pretty well so far this season. Plus, Bohl's Tampa 2 is a modified version of the typical kind, that when implemented with the right kind of players, is a very tough defense.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:My concern is that the Bohl system, especially on defense, doesn't work at this level. Yes, NDS beat some Div I teams, but that is because NDS had better players - they would have beaten the Pokes handily. The question is - can he recruit the kind of players he need for his system to come to Wyoming? We will see. If nothing is starting to come together by the 2016 season, then forget about it.
I'm going to disagree. There is nothing to prove this. What NDSU had is a bunch of guys who were recruited by Craig Bohl and were developed by the NDSU staff. They are guys who bought into the system and have spent some time in the system. We're six games into Craig Bohl's tenure and only two or three guys he recruited are playing at this point. Give it some time.

Go Pokes!!
HighPlainsDrifter
Buckaroo

JimmyDimes wrote:
I'm going to disagree. There is nothing to prove this. What NDSU had is a bunch of guys who were recruited by Craig Bohl and were developed by the NDSU staff. They are guys who bought into the system and have spent some time in the system. We're six games into Craig Bohl's tenure and only two or three guys he recruited are playing at this point. Give it some time.

Go Pokes!!
Well said. Bohl was 8-3 against FBS schools, many from the power conferences, with his recruits. To think he can't recruit as well at UW as he did at NDSU is kind of silly. Will he recruit significantly better athletes? I think so, but under his system and development I'm not sure it matters that much.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Tampa 2, 3-3-5, 3-4, At the end of the day talent, coaching, game-planning and motivation matter infinitely more than scheme.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

My point is that most of us had 3 maybe 4-5 wins and now that we lose a game, they're flying off the handle. If u predict 4 wins, you should expect losses without losing your poop. Has a new coach ever taken a poop team and made them awesome in his first year? I know If a coach leaves for greener pastures he can set up the next coach to succeed but we are far from that
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote:My point is that most of us had 3 maybe 4-5 wins and now that we lose a game, they're flying off the handle. If u predict 4 wins, you should expect losses without losing your poop. Has a new coach ever taken a poop team and made them awesome in his first year? I know If a coach leaves for greener pastures he can set up the next coach to succeed but we are far from that
I don't think it was the fact we lost that causes this emotion it's how we had a meltdown and lost to a team that basically everyone penciled in as a win.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Wyo2dal wrote:
laxwyo wrote:My point is that most of us had 3 maybe 4-5 wins and now that we lose a game, they're flying off the handle. If u predict 4 wins, you should expect losses without losing your poop. Has a new coach ever taken a poop team and made them awesome in his first year? I know If a coach leaves for greener pastures he can set up the next coach to succeed but we are far from that
I don't think it was the fact we lost that causes this emotion it's how we had a meltdown and lost to a team that basically everyone penciled in as a win.
I never penciled it in as a win. Learned that the hard way under DC. And this team, despite being under Bohl now, still shows the "DC aspects" from the last 5 years at times. Like meltdowns during a game. Really bad tackling. And completely blown assignments/coverages.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

fromolwyoming wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
I never penciled it in as a win. Learned that the hard way under DC. And this team, despite being under Bohl now, still shows the "DC aspects" from the last 5 years at times. Like meltdowns during a game. Really bad tackling. And completely blown assignments/coverages.
Agreed, it will be many years before I will ever think we can "pencil in a win", we aren't there and won't be there for a few years. Bohl has started to improve the culture but there's still quite a bit of the "Oh poop, they're hitting us back!" look from the Pokes. That's a culture issue, and unfortunately that's going to take time and new players in the program to change.