Curious about the student experience in the floor seats

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
TheCup
Ranch Hand

I love the idea in principle of the student standing room seats located behind the East (?) basket. Hopefully the students are allowed to be loud and rowdy.

Unfortunately, I was a student at UW once and was dragged out of four consecutive BYU games for offenses that were, frankly, ridiculous. Any students on here who were down there on Sunday? If so, were you given any ground rules or did you feel like security was right on top of you?
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Students had quite a bit of freedom on courtside actually. Security spent most of their resources telling students in chairs "yes we understand this section is empty for the first 15 rows.... But you need to go 30 rows up behind the basket. That's the section for students. This area is reserved for season ticket holders who had better things to do than come to the season opener"

Eventually enough students started sitting there where they couldn't do anything really. I think there shouldn't be season tickets available on either side of the student section and have them be general admission/student overflow area.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

cali2wyo wrote:Students had quite a bit of freedom on courtside actually. Security spent most of their resources telling students in chairs "yes we understand this section is empty for the first 15 rows.... But you need to go 30 rows up behind the basket. That's the section for students. This area is reserved for season ticket holders who had better things to do than come to the season opener"

Eventually enough students started sitting there where they couldn't do anything really. I think there shouldn't be season tickets available on either side of the student section and have them be general admission/student overflow area.
This brings up a question I have. Where were is the student section other than the floor seats. Were they right behind the floor seats next to the band or somewhere else. I had a hard time figuring this out.
wyopig
Ranch Hand

The student section goes all the way to the roof behind that backboard.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 126 times

I overheard a group saying they don't like the cheerleaders standing up in front of them continually on the floor, and that they thought the cheerleaders should have been located on the other side of the court - where there is a huge wall and they don't block anyone. I couldn't tell from where I sit, anyone?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

I really, really, hate the new and improved "security" with respect to making sure you sit in the correct seats. There were a thousand empty seats in the lower bowl area, yet deep in the second half I still saw people being turned away from moving down.

FFS, do you think these people are going to show up with 10 minutes left in the second half? Let them fill in the lower bowl seats if the ticket holders don't show up!

WW
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 117 times

WilyWapiti wrote:I really, really, hate the new and improved "security" with respect to making sure you sit in the correct seats. There were a thousand empty seats in the lower bowl area, yet deep in the second half I still saw people being turned away from moving down.

FFS, do you think these people are going to show up with 10 minutes left in the second half? Let them fill in the lower bowl seats if the ticket holders don't show up!

WW
Agreed. I understand that they want to make sure the people that paid to sit in the lower bowl don't have to argue over their seats, but after the first half (or even halfway through the first half) they should just let it slide.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

WYO1016 wrote:
WilyWapiti wrote:I really, really, hate the new and improved "security" with respect to making sure you sit in the correct seats. There were a thousand empty seats in the lower bowl area, yet deep in the second half I still saw people being turned away from moving down.

WW
Agreed. I understand that they want to make sure the people that paid to sit in the lower bowl don't have to argue over their seats, but after the first half (or even halfway through the first half) they should just let it slide.

sitting in seats i had last night they are nice and all, but i felt like i was in a library, and when i did get a bit vocal people turned around and stared at me like i had the plague. I'm sorry I know you paid good $$ for these, and such but aren't you there to try to will your team to do well and get a win?? I refrained from my "normal" vulgarity and such as it was only Western State, but come conference season we'll need everyone into it. The security thing really got outta hand in the student section anyway, we are despicable Wyoming fans and that's what were known for.

I'm hoping that they "relax" their policies and worries and let those of us that want to go sit where it's a bit rowdier and help will the Pokes to a win. Sorry it's hard for me to "grow up" in these aspects, i'll go sit and just be a fan when I'm physically not able to do so, some day. If i wanted to go to the library, i'd go to the library.....
gopokes1399
Blog Team

I think Saturday will be rowdy, the lower bowl is sold out. Students will show for this one and there are less than 3K tickets available for purchase
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

again sure wish I could be there!!!! I'll be there in spirit!!! GO POKES, Beat the Buffs, big time!!!
BigPurp278
Buckaroo

To answer the OPs question -- I sat in the Student Section on the floor for the home opener. Showed up an hour early just to get 3 seats for me and my friends... It was a pretty good time. The court-security had to talk to a select few of us about our comments. More than once. It was pretty lame, IMO. But everything else was awesome.

Last night I sat up behind the band, I think I prefer to sit behind the band than the student section. The seats are far more comfortable for the few times I do sit, and theres more space. I only moved to Laramie for grad school last year.. It's a night a day difference.

Last night was easily top-5 sporting events I've ever been to.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BigPurp278 wrote:To answer the OPs question -- I sat in the Student Section on the floor for the home opener. Showed up an hour early just to get 3 seats for me and my friends... It was a pretty good time. The court-security had to talk to a select few of us about our comments. More than once. It was pretty lame, IMO. But everything else was awesome.

Last night I sat up behind the band, I think I prefer to sit behind the band than the student section. The seats are far more comfortable for the few times I do sit, and theres more space. I only moved to Laramie for grad school last year.. It's a night a day difference.

Last night was easily top-5 sporting events I've ever been to.
Yesterdays game was so badass. Amplify that by 10 come end of the season and were playing for a conference title. It'll be uncomfortable loud and raucous. So much fun.