Brett Smith Story

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Wow, great find. Sucks for Smith. Miss that dude as a Poke.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

I wish there was a way that if a kid goes undrafted he could return to school for his senior year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i agree they should let an undrafted player go back to school, kinda like the NBA, biggest problem was he signed with an agent. I'd still like to know, who gave him the thoughts and info that he was NFL material, it was there if developed but a successful senior year would have only done wonders for him!!! He needed to learn another offense with a new, better coach!!! Sigh, oh well,
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

One of the most tragic parts of the story is he pursued a degree in communications.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:One of the most tragic parts of the story is he pursued a degree in communications.
Ha ha. I have a worthless Communications degree. :thumb: By sheer luck I landed a pretty good gig. But, yeah, what a travesty pursuing a Communications degree.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

303cowboy wrote:I wish there was a way that if a kid goes undrafted he could return to school for his senior year.
He can go back to school. He just can't play football.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

joshvanklomp wrote:
303cowboy wrote:I wish there was a way that if a kid goes undrafted he could return to school for his senior year.
He can go back to school. He just can't play football.
Should have clarified, but figured people would catch my drift
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Why wouldn't they have talked to Christensen?
- An otherwise bad relationship?
- Christensen wouldn't return their calls?
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

Sounds like Papa Smith is a real piece of work.

"My kids are going to be football players, by golly, and they don't need no stinkin' plan B!"

Great advice, there, Dad...

WW
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

They should let kids go back and play their Senior year if undrafted. Naturally that would lead to an increase in the number of kids declaring, but that is an NFL problem, IMO. Let them devise a new system to wade through the huge number of "applicants". It shouldn't affect the college game as long as the kid doesn't break major rules. Hiring an agent for a few months doesn't seem that bad to me.

Relating to Smith specifically, he just isn't that elite. Could he become better? Sure, but there are a pile of guys in his situation. I hope he finds a way to separate himself and develops into an NFL qb.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Lost Poke wrote:Why wouldn't they have talked to Christensen?
- An otherwise bad relationship?
- Christensen wouldn't return their calls?
Dad knows best?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
djm19
WyoNation Addict

I have had many personal interactions with his dad, and, honestly, he is a great guy. Brett comes from a great family. Last year for Christmas my kids all got an 8x11 personalized signed photo to them. I tried sending money and such and his dad said, "This is why Brett plays the game" and wouldn't take anything. I think (collectively and looking back) Brett got some bad advice. I know Bohl flew up there to meet with him, but I also think that Dave leaving didn't help. Dave didn't offer advice, because DC couldn't give two craps about the players at that point.

I wish Brett nothing but the best. I do think his window is closing rapidly. I look at guys like Brett and compare him to buttholes like Jameis and it is tough to watch guys like Winston succeed. Unfortunately, that is life. :thumbdown:

I had a relative who was partial owner of the Utah Blaze arena team several years ago. He just sold out. There is no money there. I also had an acquaintance who played WR for the team and he worked at Fidelity Investments by day and played football by night. The AFL is not a fulltime job to support yourself, little lone a family. If NFL doesn't come calling Brett in the next several months for spring training, I think it is time to move on from football.

Good luck Brett. You'll always be a Cowboy favorite to me.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Most fans do wish he had stayed, if only to see him learn the pro-style offense and actually be developed by guys who know how to (let's face it, DC never really developed players, they had to develop on their own) which could have led him to success in the NFL. But he left. And he is a great guy, and as far as I'm concerned, one of our best players to have ever come through here. I wish him nothing but the best in future endeavors.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

This is really a pretty sad story all around, but you can't really blame Brett. I guess I just don't really believe that Christensen didn't have any input. Seems like a coach (who brought Brett here and probably had daily interaction with him during the season) would have something to say about the kid declaring for the draft. Even if it's just to say something to the effect of "this is usually a bad idea." Seems odd to me.

Regardless, it's water under the bridge now, and I hope Brett finds success playing in the Arena league. Who knows, maybe he'll find his way back to the NFL and be the next Kurt Warner. :eek:

GO POKES!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I still cross my finger than someone will take some sense into him and he will seek out the http://www.fxfl.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that is the absolute without a doubt best route back to the NFL.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Sadly, I think his shot at the NFL is gone. Sure he could hit up arena league or even the fxfl and go the Kurt Warner route, but not very many QBs can go that route (have ANY besides Warner?). If he wasn't good enough to make the Tampa Bay roster, than he has a lot more developing than even I suspected he would need. Why develop when you can draft someone with everything you need already...I'd love to be wrong though.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote:Sadly, I think his shot at the NFL is gone. Sure he could hit up arena league or even the fxfl and go the Kurt Warner route, but not very many QBs can go that route (have ANY besides Warner?). If he wasn't good enough to make the Tampa Bay roster, than he has a lot more developing than even I suspected he would need. Why develop when you can draft someone with everything you need already...I'd love to be wrong though.

Not saying your wrong because his chances are a long shot but reading the article it made it sound like he never had a chance to make the Tampa Bay roster. they just wanted a guy to throw balls during rookie training camp. They didn't have any interest in evaluating him or developing him.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:
Not saying your wrong because his chances are a long shot but reading the article it made it sound like he never had a chance to make the Tampa Bay roster. they just wanted a guy to throw balls during rookie training camp. They didn't have any interest in evaluating him or developing him.
QB is the most coveted and hardest position in the NFL. It could be argued that there aren't 32 guys on the planet that can play it well. The point you bring up is one that I disagreed with the article. If Brett had had shown something to make them think he would develop into even a solid backup, they would not have released them.

Every NFL team is interested in evaluating and developing QBs if they think it will pay dividends.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Isn't this year's QB draft class super weak too?
W-Y, Until I Die!