CSU Stadium Renderings

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Shy was a great hire and I too predict Bohl is. However, we handicap them and, as frequently pointed out, require them to do more with less.

My concern is that though we have coaches who do more with less, we are losing ground on the budget side of things. That is not a sustainable path of success in college athletics.
This is an honest question, not meant to rag on anyone or call anyone a liar.

Is there breakdown of budgets and where the money goes? How do we know we really lag behind everyone?

Just because the Sheep have a bigger budget ($xx,000,000) than UW ($x,000,000) doesn't necessarily mean it affects their programs in a manner different than ours...I would bet that he cost of running their university and their programs is much higher than ours as well...
I'd have to look around. Budgets are available but breakdown of expenditures are harder to find (if available). Remember, when Burman took charge, our budget was greater than CSU. The 3 largest programs leave, we add a bunch of WAC schools and as still don't increase our budgetary situation relative to our peers. Almost every program in MWC has outpaced us in budgetary increases over the past 8 years. It is a concern.
And who is leaps and bounds ahead of us in athletic prowess? Boise State is the only school that you could say has truly benefited from their increased budget. CSU hasn't had consistent success over us. UNM? FSU? Anyone? Who is consistently whipping us? None but BSU. A huge budget doesn't equate to on field/court success. I like what Shyatt is doing with what he is given. We have no way to 100% say with double the budget he will have double the success...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I don't follow your logic. Had CSU not invested in their programs, they would have been stagnant. Over the past 5 or so years, they've had a few really good football seasons and a couple of NCAA appearances. I would say that is evidence of success.

In almost every conference, the consistently good programs are typically in the upper end of the budget. Personally, I'd like to shoot for BSU level success rather than the middle of dilapidated MWC. We can't get there on our current budget trajectory no matter how many "cowboy toughs" we yell.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:I don't follow your logic. Had CSU not invested in their programs, they would have been stagnant. Over the past 5 or so years, they've had a few really good football seasons and a couple of NCAA appearances. I would say that is evidence of success.

In almost every conference, the consistently good programs are typically in the upper end of the budget. Personally, I'd like to shoot for BSU level success rather than the middle of dilapidated MWC. We can't get there on our current budget trajectory no matter how many "cowboy toughs" we yell.
BSU has 12 double-digit win seasons this millennium, and three major bowl victories. I don't think any G5 team will ever reach that level of success. I'd be thrilled to get the program to where Utah State has been in recent years.

But alas...how about just making a bowl game first?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:I don't follow your logic. Had CSU not invested in their programs, they would have been stagnant. Over the past 5 or so years, they've had a few really good football seasons and a couple of NCAA appearances. I would say that is evidence of success.

BSU has 12 double-digit win seasons this millennium, and three major bowl victories. I don't think any G5 team will ever reach that level of success. I'd be thrilled to get the program to where Utah State has been in recent years.

But alas...how about just making a bowl game first?
That's my 2015 prediction 6-6 to the Arizona Bowl!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: That's my 2015 prediction 6-6 to the Arizona Bowl!
That would be a solid season! Baby steps first before we set the bar at juggernaut status.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: That's my 2015 prediction 6-6 to the Arizona Bowl!
That would be a solid season! Baby steps first before we set the bar at juggernaut status.
Definitely agree. Point is, however, we won't build a sustainable program unless we also address our inability to keep budgetary pace. Ideally we actual do better than most of our peers.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Definitely agree. Point is, however, we won't build a sustainable program unless we also address our inability to keep budgetary pace. Ideally we actual do better than most of our peers.
It's definitely a topic that raises questions. Wyoming has a higher budget for football than most MW programs, yet has 3 bowl games since 2000 to show for it. That's horrible considering 6-6 is all that is required to make a bowl nowadays. The ROI is not showing up.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Definitely agree. Point is, however, we won't build a sustainable program unless we also address our inability to keep budgetary pace. Ideally we actual do better than most of our peers.
It's definitely a topic that raises questions. Wyoming has a higher budget for football than most MW programs, yet has 3 bowl games since 2000 to show for it. That's horrible considering 6-6 is all that is required to make a bowl nowadays. The ROI is not showing up.
Where do you get your budget numbers showing we spend more on football than most other teams in mwc? Most I've seen show that we are middle to lower half. Not only that we have the slowest paced budget growth or at least near bottom in that category. My Java is wack right now, so I can't check. However, here are the "best" numbers that are available. I'll have to search through MWC schools' football expenses after I fix java.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Only checked some. AF not available. Our football budget more than USU, UNR, and SJSU but less than UNM, CSU, SDSU, BSU, FSU, and UNLV.

We are much closer to the teams below us than above. The 5 year trend indicates teams like USU will pass us soon.

Not sustainable.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Our population and small University status limits us to MWC at best but I don't buy the notion it limits our success.
I never said it would limit our success, I said it would probably hinder us from ever becoming P5.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

We are barely above Montana in football spending and we are much closer to ND State than CSU.

We are handicapping our excellent coaches. Perhaps this partly explains why every coach since DD has failed?
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:We are barely above Montana in football spending and we are much closer to ND State than CSU.

We are handicapping our excellent coaches. Perhaps this partly explains why every coach since DD has failed?
In what ways are we handicapping our coaches? What would a huge budget suddenly offer our coaches that they aren't getting now? I'm curious. I guess I don't know what a huge budget does for us in terms of putting a winning product on the field. Can't pay players so it's not going there.... Coaches get paid what they agree to so it cant help here... And what are the bigger budgets doing to help teams like UNM, SJSU, etc. that were not getting?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote:We are barely above Montana in football spending and we are much closer to ND State than CSU.

We are handicapping our excellent coache. Perhaps this partly explains why every coach since DD has failed?
In what ways are we handicapping our coaches? What would a huge budget suddenly offer our coaches that they aren't getting now? I'm curious. I guess I don't know what a huge budget does for us in terms of putting a winning product on the field. Can't pay players so it's not going there.... Coaches get paid what they agree to so it cant help here... And what are the bigger budgets doing to help teams like UNM, SJSU, etc. that were not getting?
We have a current coaching vacancy. Salary will impact the quality of coach as can hire. If DC had 750K to spend to hire a DC, would our Ds have been terrible. Was Glenn too loyal or was his loyalty due to limited budget thus limited options. Recruiting costs money. More money means better recruiting--Bohl himself said as much when hired.

It is no coincidence that the most consistent teams are generally the best funded. Our budget situation has slipped the last decade and we are closer to FCS than we are outr main rival. Our record reflects that.

Wyoming legislature needs to accept that investing in people is ok rather than just investing in buildings. Atletics isn't the only area that has issues with this. Profs leaving because of no salary increases is another example...google it.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:

We are handicapping our excellent coache. Perhaps this partly explains why every coach since DD has failed?
We have a current coaching vacancy. Salary will impact the quality of coach as can hire. If DC had 750K to spend to hire a DC, would our Ds have been terrible. Was Glenn too loyal or was his loyalty due to limited budget thus limited options. Recruiting costs money. More money means better recruiting--Bohl himself said as much when hired.

It is no coincidence that the most consistent teams are generally the best funded. Our budget situation has slipped the last decade and we are closer to FCS than we are outr main rival. Our record reflects that.

Wyoming legislature needs to accept that investing in people is ok rather than just investing in buildings. Atletics isn't the only area that has issues with this. Profs leaving because of no salary increases is another example...google it.
I have been saying this for years Joe - I just got tired of getting on my soap box about it (and so was everybody else). But the truth is the Wyoming Legislature needs to fund the UW Athletic Dept (and the rest of the university as well) at least to the mid level of the MWC. We need a whole new mindset on this.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

I have been saying this for years Joe - I just got tired of getting on my soap box about it (and so was everybody else). But the truth is the Wyoming Legislature needs to fund the UW Athletic Dept (and the rest of the university as well) at least to the mid level of the MWC. We need a whole new mindset on this.

I apologize to keep beating the same drum, I just am not as familiar with the process. I was under the impression that we are only allowed so many visits and trips and contact with recruits per NCAA regulation. Is that true? If so, how does a biggeof budget change our outlook? Is it HOW the money is spent on a set number of recruiting functions or can we actually schedule more recruiting functions?

The hiring of coaches I get. But it's not like if tomorrow we doubled our athletic budget that Bohl gets a huge raise. He has a contract. If he wants to renegotiate that's one thing. Hiring new coaches with a higher price point will definitely help in theory. By that same token, the concensus was that CDC was a hell of a coach and we paid him so more money doesn't always mean the best coach.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: I apologize to keep beating the same drum, I just am not as familiar with the process. I was under the impression that we are only allowed so many visits and trips and contact with recruits per NCAA regulation. Is that true? If so, how does a biggeof budget change our outlook? Is it HOW the money is spent on a set number of recruiting functions or can we actually schedule more recruiting functions?

The hiring of coaches I get. But it's not like if tomorrow we doubled our athletic budget that Bohl gets a huge raise. He has a contract. If he wants to renegotiate that's one thing. Hiring new coaches with a higher price point will definitely help in theory. By that same token, the concensus was that CDC was a hell of a coach and we paid him so more money doesn't always mean the best coach.
Coaches and more specifically assistant coaches are where bigger budgets are very helpful. Pay the main man money but give him as much as you can to get the best assistants he can. If/when he leaves, hire from within. You already have better people on staff. I think both DC and Glenn suffered from not being able to get quality assistants or coordinators. The question is was it due to budget or poor decisions? Probably a little of both, but budgets definitely could help in this regard.

For recruiting, it isn't black and white or a linear response (i.e. x dollars in = y more wins). At the end of the day, it is still a somewhat unpredictable game. Still, bigger recruiting budgets can help with consistency. You can hire more people, travel to see more kids, watch more film, etc. That being said, I haven't personally been involved with recruiting, so I'm going off of press. Here are a couple of articles that I like. They also point out some who spent a lot and didn't have success. Still, basing on the past 15 years at WYO, I would say the data is sufficient to suggest budgets are hurting us.

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2013/08/17/co ... recruiting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /22813887/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote: I have been saying this for years Joe - I just got tired of getting on my soap box about it (and so was everybody else). But the truth is the Wyoming Legislature needs to fund the UW Athletic Dept (and the rest of the university as well) at least to the mid level of the MWC. We need a whole new mindset on this.
I think the only area we disagree on is the level of accountability for Burman. We ask all of our coaches to do more with less and fire them if they don't. I mean I get it; AD is a tough job at WYO. However, shouldn't we hold the AD to the same standards as our coaches?

I just wish Burman had plans other than "ask the legislature" or "ask 1 or 2 big donor". Maybe there are no other options and I'm too hard on Burman? If that is the case, then our future is indeed very bleak.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: I apologize to keep beating the same drum, I just am not as familiar with the process. I was under the impression that we are only allowed so many visits and trips and contact with recruits per NCAA regulation. Is that true? If so, how does a biggeof budget change our outlook? Is it HOW the money is spent on a set number of recruiting functions or can we actually schedule more recruiting functions?

Coaches and more specifically assistant coaches are where bigger budgets are very helpful. Pay the main man money but give him as much as you can to get the best assistants he can. If/when he leaves, hire from within. You already have better people on staff. I think both DC and Glenn suffered from not being able to get quality assistants or coordinators. The question is was it due to budget or poor decisions? Probably a little of both, but budgets definitely could help in this regard.

For recruiting, it isn't black and white or a linear response (i.e. x dollars in = y more wins). At the end of the day, it is still a somewhat unpredictable game. Still, bigger recruiting budgets can help with consistency. You can hire more people, travel to see more kids, watch more film, etc. That being said, I haven't personally been involved with recruiting, so I'm going off of press. Here are a couple of articles that I like. They also point out some who spent a lot and didn't have success. Still, basing on the past 15 years at WYO, I would say the data is sufficient to suggest budgets are hurting us.

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2013/08/17/co ... recruiting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /22813887/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks! I will check out the articles.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Only 2 head coaches make more than Bohl (Fresno, CSU -- BSU and SDSU make the same)
Only 4 head coaches make more than Shyatt (CSU, UNLV, UNM, SDSU)
Burman makes the least of the ADs that reported their salaries

http://www.abqjournal.com/coaches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

joshvanklomp wrote:Only 2 head coaches make more than Bohl (Fresno, CSU -- BSU and SDSU make the same)
Only 4 head coaches make more than Shyatt (CSU, UNLV, UNM, SDSU)
Burman makes the least of the ADs that reported their salaries

http://www.abqjournal.com/coaches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I didnt know that. Hard to ask him to act like AD's at other successful universities if he TOO isnt compensated like one...