Signing Day 2015

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

POKE FAN wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Just watched the press conference. I'm certain we've got a great class. Davion Freeman's highlight video looked damn impressive, I bet he'll be returning punts and kickoffs for us when he sees the field in 2015 or 2106. Carl Granderson's video looked awesome as well - I could see him playing about 7 positions for us.

Got a couple of damn good track athletes. Kaden Jackson threw the shot 56'(wow) and Dameko Doddles high jumped 6'4'' and long jumped 22'+ (wow, wow). We've got some serious athletes here.
My brother and I went to the little get-together at the Gateway Center before the WYO-csu hoops game last night. Bohl sounds VERY confident in what this class can do down the road. Very interested in what this staff can do recruiting-wise when the program actually starts kicking some ass.

Speaking of recruiting, UW unveiled a few renderings of the proposed "RAC 2.0" at the Gateway. Absolutely amazing. The RAC will extend out to The Arch on the north side of the WAR. Huge facade facing the field. The dining room (training table) area and the expanded weight room are incredible. Lots of glass. We were told at the basketball game last night that the cost would be around $40M for the renovation. Wow, if true.

Let's just say that that these completed renovations at the AA and WAR should not hurt recruiting at all for Coach Shy and Coach Bohl.
I was at this "Signing Day Special" also and I was impressed with our Governor's comments as well as Coach Bohl's & and his assistant's comments. Don't judge Coach Bohl & his assistants on their first season at Wyoming. Usually a coach & and his staff start recruiting a class at least a year ahead of their signing day. Coach Bohl and his staff didn't get to Wyoming until about January 2014 and he himself said they had to hurry and cobble up a recruiting class. If this class is any indication of the future of Wyoming football, I think we are going to be happy with the direction Wyoming football is going. With the development of many of our recruits, we should see much improvement in the next couple of years. I'm not about to give up my season tickets - I think it's going to get good.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:Just watched the press conference. I'm certain we've got a great class. Davion Freeman's highlight video looked damn impressive, I bet he'll be returning punts and kickoffs for us when he sees the field in 2015 or 2106. Carl Granderson's video looked awesome as well - I could see him playing about 7 positions for us.

Got a couple of damn good track athletes. Kaden Jackson threw the shot 56'(wow) and Dameko Doddles high jumped 6'4'' and long jumped 22'+ (wow, wow). We've got some serious athletes here.
My brother and I went to the little get-together at the Gateway Center before the WYO-csu hoops game last night. Bohl sounds VERY confident in what this class can do down the road. Very interested in what this staff can do recruiting-wise when the program actually starts kicking some ass.

Speaking of recruiting, UW unveiled a few renderings of the proposed "RAC 2.0" at the Gateway. Absolutely amazing. The RAC will extend out to The Arch on the north side of the WAR. Huge facade facing the field. The dining room (training table) area and the expanded weight room are incredible. Lots of glass. We were told at the basketball game last night that the cost would be around $40M for the renovation. Wow, if true.

Let's just say that that these completed renovations at the AA and WAR should not hurt recruiting at all for Coach Shy and Coach Bohl.
I was at this "Signing Day Special" also and I was impressed with our Governor's comments as well as Coach Bohl's & and his assistant's comments. Don't judge Coach Bohl & his assistants on their first season at Wyoming. Usually a coach & and his staff start recruiting a class at least a year ahead of their signing day. Coach Bohl and his staff didn't get to Wyoming until about January 2014 and he himself said they had to hurry and cobble up a recruiting class. If this class is any indication of the future of Wyoming football, I think we are going to be happy with the direction Wyoming football is going. With the development of many of our recruits, we should see much improvement in the next couple of years. I'm not about to give up my season tickets - I think it's going to get good.
Yes, it's always good to have the Governor firmly in your camp when dealing with the legislature.

Bohl has the blueprint to success. Just need some patience. It was nice to see a real focus on the defense and special teams side with this class.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/rpgagliardi/status/ ... 8401870848
UW signing day: Second recruiting class for Bohl began with establishing regional ties; with VIDEO

“A lot of high school coaches have seen how we operate. They’ve seen how we’ve been diligent, very up front and communicated well. We really believe that’s going to launch us to further heights in recruiting.”

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... d4115.html

POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

https://twitter.com/rpgagliardi/status/ ... 4827561984
UW signing day: Cowboys take preferred approach to building football program

“Without question, walk-ons have a big impact,” Bohl said. “We saw the value at Nebraska and North Dakota State.

“Every year, we had guys who started who came in as non-scholarship players. It takes time and energy. But in the long run, it is a big benefit to your program.”

http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... 77d27.html
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Re-post of the Conway/Prosser comments:

Video: Comments from Austin Conway and Kevin Prosser on Signing Day at Overland HS
https://twitter.com/9Preps/status/563188265180987392 Video: http://usatodayhss.com/2015/overland-signing-day
BJC
A Real Cowboy

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footba ... amRankings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

108 :x
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Up from 122 last year
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... ngs-matter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I take anything from that site with the same grain of salt I take Recruitment Rankings. Sure they mean something but not near as much as everyone thinks.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: I take anything from that site with the same grain of salt I take Recruitment Rankings. Sure they mean something but not near as much as everyone thinks.
I know. But overall I agree with them...recruiting rankings aren't an exact science, but you're delusional if you think any program, including Wyoming, is going to be dancing with a Rose Bowl trophy on January 1st with a roster loaded with "diamonds in the rough". You have to recruit well to have a chance.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: I take anything from that site with the same grain of salt I take Recruitment Rankings. Sure they mean something but not near as much as everyone thinks.
I know. But overall I agree with them...recruiting rankings aren't an exact science, but you're delusional if you think any program, including Wyoming, is going to be dancing with a Rose Bowl trophy on January 1st with a roster loaded with "diamonds in the rough". You have to recruit well to have a chance.
Dunno close that there has ever been was Utah, TCU & Boise of the three I would say Boise was more like the team that could be that Cinderella sweetheart but the BCS made sure it didn't happen. Utah in 2008 didn't have some all star recruiting class and they could have won a NC Title had they not been completely screwed.

I do believe a team like Wyoming or anyone else way below anyone radar could potential end up there but only if the committee wants them too.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: Dunno close that there has ever been was Utah, TCU & Boise of the three I would say Boise was more like the team that could be that Cinderella sweetheart but the BCS made sure it didn't happen. Utah in 2008 didn't have some all star recruiting class and they could have won a NC Title had they not been completely screwed.

I do believe a team like Wyoming or anyone else way below anyone radar could potential end up there but only if the committee wants them too.
TCU brought in 4-Star talent and top-end 3-Star talent all the time. Utah did not, but they still brought in recruits who were being courted by at the time BCS schools. Boise State is a bit of an anomaly, and Kellen Moore was a 4-Star recruit. Even the best players from Boise's 2014 Fiesta Bowl winning team were top recruits (Ajayi was Parade AA, Correa/Vallejo/Weaver all Top 50 recruits at their positions).

I'm not saying all of them have to be top recruits, I'm just saying that there will be no team recruiting exclusively "diamond in the rough" types and winning big. You need classes of several C.J. Johnson's and Justice Murphy's, not just a guy here and there. For every Brett Smith, there are 20 under-recruited guys who just aren't any good. To win big, you need depth, and that only comes from recruiting well annually. Back to Boise State...last season they lost their Top 3 DTs before Week 2 even happened. Next man up was the philosophy, but they had the depth to do that! Wyoming can't lose their top 3 guys at any position and expect to do well. Only consistently beating out respectable schools for players will build championship depth.

My point is...the rankings aren't perfect, but there is no college football team racking up farm boys with no offers and no notoriety and then winning big. Even the Cinderella's get several guys the big boys wanted,
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Boy that is disappointing, 108 is bad I'd like to see us in the 70's range.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

It is as though some of you aren't familiar with recruiting. It is a giant popularity contest. The bigger profile the school, the more stars awarded, the higher the ranking. Wyoming isn't going to get any favors. Plus, 247 hasn't ranked some of our guys and is including walkons.

It is all about development.

Go Pokes!!
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

JimmyDimes wrote:It is as though some of you aren't familiar with recruiting. It is a giant popularity contest. The bigger profile the school, the more stars awarded, the higher the ranking. Wyoming isn't going to get any favors. Plus, 247 hasn't ranked some of our guys and is including walkons.

It is all about development.

Go Pokes!!
I agree. I've seen more than a few less-than-complimentary comments from coaches over time when asked about these recruiting rating systems.

Rivals has yet to give star ratings to Clinton, Granderson, Harshman, Hull and Price. They don't even have Momoh or Wilson listed. Impressive work.

Three Rivals 3-star ratings for WYO's class versus five three-star ratings from 247sports. Who are rating these kids?

I found it amusing that Joseph Parker originally received a 3-star rating from Rivals. It magically dropped to a 2-star weeks later. Again, who are rating these kids?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:
I don't remember if it was Bohl or another coach that said it on Wednesday, but it fits the Wyoming profile even if it wasn't Bohl

"While other schools can select players, we have to recruit players
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: "While other schools can select players, we have to recruit players
Well, I think USC is probably the only team nationally that can literally just pick who they want. Everyone else has to do some work.

But yes, for the time being...Wyoming has to do some digging.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

USC, yes, I would also include Alabama and Florida State in that category as of right now. A few years ago, you could place Texas and Florida in there as well.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote:USC, yes, I would also include Alabama and Florida State in that category as of right now. A few years ago, you could place Texas and Florida in there as well.
I think that's fair...you're right, Texas and UF have fallen off in that regard. UCLA is edging closer to draft pick status.

Good news for Wyoming? The only MW team totally kicking ass in recruiting is Boise State. Even Utah State had a blah class. It takes depth to beat the big boys, but there aren't many big boys in the MW.

On that note, I think CSU will be crashing back to reality hard next fall.
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Well, I think USC is probably the only team nationally that can literally just pick who they want.
Oh, USC's about in the same spot as the other perennial top 10 recruiters...Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU...whatever Florida school is hot, whatever Texas/Oklahoma school is hot, whatever other SEC school is hot, etc.

In any event, there's no chance to compete at the highest levels with teams who routinely stuff their rosters with the highest rated recruits.

This doesn't mean that 3-4-5 star recruits will all pan out, or that they guarantee top-10 success. It remains a crapshoot when trying to predict how a young man will mature between age 17 and 20-21. I think that, for instance, the average initial "star rating" of college players invited to the NFL combine is something like 2.3.

But. You can't "develop" speed. Or quickness. Or height. Or body type. Or hands. (And since football, outside of the few skill positions, requires the least native-to-the-sport skils, you'll always take those guys.)

So, if you start every year plugging in 15 freshman who rate in the top of the nation in all of those categories, you're almost guaranteed you're going to be competing at the highest levels.

Wyoming -- and probably 50 other schools in our same boat -- aren't going to have 45 guys on the roster every year who started out as 3-4 star talent. That's just the way it is, and the chance of breaking out of one's "niche" has been made harder over the last 20 years, as the rich schools consolidate their power and swim in money.

That doesn't mean you don't set your goals -- like winning the MWC, or getting to a good bowl -- which then has a snowball effect, giving you access incrementally to better and better recruits. That's where we are, and I think that's Bohl's project...which I think he'll be good at, as he's done it before.