Mono might be a blessing in disguise.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. I think Josh Adams did that today. He played the best he's played since Nance went down last year. I'm expecting more of the same from him.

Herndon looked very good in his first start, especially when you consider he's recovering from mono and just lost 20 pounds. We'll need him to keep up the good work.

The one thing you can say about these guys: they don't quit. Matt Sellers quit. Our fan base quits. I myself quit the message boards as soon as the season tanks. Our team doesn't quit. They rallied after two hard losses, a lot of negative chatter, and another obstacle that could possibly derail their goals. I love their attitude. They bounced back from games against two very hot shooting teams missing two post players(in a three man rotation) and did what they had to.

If you look at the Brandenburg standings, we didn't lose a point with losses at AFA and at SDSU. They we're ugly losses, but we're still in second. We we're in second(SDSU had the tie break for their win against us) when mono tried to derail our season.

I expect us to lose more games this season. It's no secret that the second half of the conference schedule was tougher than the first half. We've got more road games and at tougher places. No one expected us to be missing two of our three post players, which used to be four before Sellers quit. That's going to be tough for anyone to win without three of their top four post players from the start of the season.

It's never good in the eyes of the NCAA tournament selection committee to lose games down the stretch. It really didn't matter that much with our SOS. We probably weren't going to get an NCAA tournament bid without a conference championship. I've thought we needed to win the conference to make the dance since the OOC ended. I still think that.

This is the lemonade. Adams played his best with MORE weight on his shoulders. That bodes well for the season. Our guys are more motivated to prove everyone wrong. Our fan base showed up for a game against a last place team without our best player. We're maintaining our top 2 spot without Herndon and Nance. Herndon is playing again. We're got one winnable road game against Nevada before an eight day break. We will be getting Larry back for the stretch run.

Adversity is what these guys have faced their entire time at Wyoming. If Craig Bohl wants to learn about Cowboy tough, he should spend some time with the basketball team. They define Cowboy tough and have for the last four years. I think this is going to make us better down the stretch than we would have been without it. It woke Josh Adams up.

So, please get behind and stay behind these Cowboys. The negative chatter and crap talk doesn't help anybody.

We're still in second. We still have a better chance than nine other MWC teams to win the league outright. If all else fails, we travel well to Vegas, we play well on the road(when healthy), we're extremely overdue for some good fortune, and this group of Cowboys has overcome more adversity than any other team in the MWC.

Don't give up on Wyoming. There isn't one team in the MWC that hopes to see Wyoming's name next to theirs in the MWC tournament bracket.

Let's do this Wyo!! Go Pokes!!
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

:thumb:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WyoSapper
Buckaroo

I agree! Many of us allowed our emotions to get the better of us and to get a little too far ahead of ourselves when thinking of this season. I love the gritty, unselfish attitude of this team. They play as a band of brothers and it is time we throw in with them all the way. Too many times when someone on here is positive or attempts to be, they are accused of drinking the koolaid and that they are blind to the realities of what we face. Too often stats and figures are thrown out in dizzying array to try and justify someone's point or another. We may need to just buy in to this team and enjoy this season, for all it's ups and downs. We look for "Cowboy Tough" on the football field but maybe it has resided on the hardwood.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Here is where I think it could help when thinking this over a little bit.

With Nance being out it forces everyone else to step up and get out of their comfort zones and play better. Not only Adams but everyone else on the team including the bench players and even Herndon now that he is back. So the extra experience and playing time for everyone and making them get out of their comfort zones could end up helping when Nance gets back to playing 100% himself and could help us make a run in the MWC tournament.

That is how I am looking at it anyhow and hoping it ends up being the "blessing in disguise".

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote:Here is where I think it could help when thinking this over a little bit.

With Nance being out it forces everyone else to step up and get out of their comfort zones and play better. Not only Adams but everyone else on the team including the bench players and even Herndon now that he is back. So the extra experience and playing time for everyone and making them get out of their comfort zones could end up helping when Nance gets back to playing 100% himself and could help us make a run in the MWC tournament.

That is how I am looking at it anyhow and hoping it ends up being the "blessing in disguise".
I agree with this and would add that the coaching staff is being forced out of their comfort zone as well. This team has a chance as long as everyone is healthy for the tournament.
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

I think the idea of penetrating with the guards like they did last night would be awesome with a healthy Nance, too. It would force defenders to leave Nance alone or risk Adams or Grabau getting the easy points inside the arc rather than standing behind the line and forcing a three. And it's not like Larry isn't athletic. He can run with the best of them.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Agree with your post, but that title literally made me laugh out loud.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Yeah I really liked the look of our offense last yesterday and if we play like that with Larry back we may have just unearthed the secret recipe for success. Larry going down is forcing the other guys to play through adversity and up their games. We need all our guards to have that killer look shooting and driving. I think we've seen a lot of different players play sorta tentative throughout the season as well. I'm hoping that hesitation and fear is gone with this spell for the guys. In a poop roundabout way this could be exactly what the doctor ordered!
Riding High!!!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

Hopefully, against Nevada, we will see some good looks driving and dishing to the weak side for a dunk or open three opportunity. West is a big presence. If he collapses on the driving guard, that could leave Cooke and Herndon open for easy buckets - as long as those guards aren't reckless in their drives.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

CowboyCO wrote:Hopefully, against Nevada, we will see some good looks driving and dishing to the weak side for a dunk or open three opportunity. West is a big presence. If he collapses on the driving guard, that could leave Cooke and Herndon open for easy buckets - as long as those guards aren't reckless in their drives.
I'm more concerned about our lack of attention to the three point line, AFA/SDSU/SJSU all hit at least 10 threes on us, We can't keep giving up 10 three pointers and still win games we have to buckle down on that three point close out.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Wyo2dal wrote:
CowboyCO wrote:Hopefully, against Nevada, we will see some good looks driving and dishing to the weak side for a dunk or open three opportunity. West is a big presence. If he collapses on the driving guard, that could leave Cooke and Herndon open for easy buckets - as long as those guards aren't reckless in their drives.
I'm more concerned about our lack of attention to the three point line, AFA/SDSU/SJSU all hit at least 10 threes on us, We can't keep giving up 10 three pointers and still win games we have to buckle down on that three point close out.
Hard to cover the 3 when your paint is susceptible without Nance. If a guy gets caught in trying to front or floating near the paint we give up ground outside. Easier to get picked, have failed rotations, and just plain lose your man when the paint isn't as secure.
Riding High!!!
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Cosmic Cowboy wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
Hard to cover the 3 when your paint is susceptible without Nance. If a guy gets caught in trying to front or floating near the paint we give up ground outside. Easier to get picked, have failed rotations, and just plain lose your man when the paint isn't as secure.
I don't disagree with that but you can't sell out the paint and ignore the outside and they have to a point. There needs to be a happy medium where we can still get a hand in the face. I see a lot of uncontested threes against teams with no one that could drive worth a poop.

SJSU is a prime example they have like 1 person that can penetrate off the dribble yet we covered the paint and gave up 30 from range. I would think the players watching tape and learning the game would also learn what other teams are capable of and guard better against the team and not just guard a scheme.
tweaked
Ranch Hand

Although I think we get a win with Larry on one of those two road losses, I think there is something to this blessing in disguise reframing of our atrocious, horrible luck. But I think the biggest thing is having Adams run the point. I realize he is more prone to turnovers but when he is the primary ball handler--and against San Jose he often was even when Riley was on the floor--he is a legitimate threat to beat defenders off the dribble and penetrate the defense. His ability to beat defenders gives our offense much more dynamism and opens up easy shots for DC. I know Adams is trying to think more on the floor--obviously this is good--but we need his athleticism on the perimeter and he needs to be aggressive. I'll take a couple turnovers now and then. For example, on that play when he passed to McManamen after penetrating, he left his feet and was in the air before knowing who he was going to pass to. One of the announcers commented that young guards shouldn't leave their feet before knowing where they were going to pass. But Adams left his feet with an athletic move in an effort to drive and finish--when the drive wasn't there he found McManamen at the last possible second for an assist and an easy, short bucket. I think Adams needs that leash and needs encouragement to be Adams in order for us to be most competitive. With that and a healthy Nance I like our chances.
Last edited by tweaked on Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

tweaked wrote:Although I think we get a win with Larry on one of those two road losses, I think there is something to this blessing in disguise reframing of our atrocious, horrible luck. But I think the biggest thing is having Adams run the point. I realize he is more prone to turnovers but when he is the primary ball handler--and against San Jose he often was even when Riley was on the floor--he is a legitimate threat to beat defenders off the dribble and penetrate the defense. His ability to beat defenders gives our offense much more dynamism and opens up easy shots for DC. I know Adams is trying to think more on the floor--obviously this is good--but we need his athleticism on the perimeter and he needs to be aggressive. I'll take a couple turnovers now and then. For example, on that play when he passed to MacNammen after penetrating, he left his feet and was in the air before knowing who he was going to pass to. One of the announcers commented that young guards shouldn't leave their feet before knowing where they were going to pass. But Adams left his feet with an athletic move in an effort to drive and finish--when the drive wasn't there he found MacNammen at the last possible second for an assist and an easy, short bucket. I think Adams needs that leash and needs encouragement to be Adams in order for us to be most competitive. With that and a healthy Nance I like our chances.
I guess we could put Adams at the point and then let Riley spot up for 3's when Josh is driving the lane.

Sounds like Nance will be back for Fresno St. after reading Vorel's tweets.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

might be on to sumethin, but man a Larry at even 90% is something I'll take day in and day out, hey fans the next 2 games in Laramie Feb. 25 and esp Mar. 4, let's fill the AA as we all know Larry will truly be missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote:might be on to sumethin, but man a Larry at even 90% is something I'll take day in and day out, hey fans the next 2 games in Laramie Feb. 25 and esp Mar. 4, let's fill the AA as we all know Larry will truly be missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, Larry Nance Jr. only has 2 home games left in his career.

So glad I got to watch him play! If he gets healthy and this team gets a little luck, he has the chance to end up as an All-Time Wyo great if we make a run here in a couple weeks.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Hankerson shot himself out of the 0fer tonight. Cooke played great. Adams was a stud.

Our bench helped us come back from 14 on the road to Nevada without Nance.

We have depth.

National Champions 1943.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

I do.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:Hankerson shot himself out of the 0fer tonight. Cooke played great. Adams was a stud.

We have depth.
McManamen is awesome off the bench. Herndon is awesome too. Those two along with Adams are making me really stoked about the rest of this season and next.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:Hankerson shot himself out of the 0fer tonight. Cooke played great. Adams was a stud.

We have depth.
McManamen is awesome off the bench. Herndon is awesome too. Those two along with Adams are making me really stoked about the rest of this season and next.
I am quite nervous for next season because I am looking at it through "Nance" colored glasses. What these last two games have shown is that yes, this team depends on Nance, but when we adjust our game, we adjust our reads, were pretty damn capable in spite of his absence. I am beginning to think that while we will certainly miss Larry, we will be ok. That last 5 minutes was explosive and really freaking fun to watch. Now the key is integrating Larry back into the fold and keep moving forward.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

This damn illness did not defeat our team. I think it helped prepare our bench for a big run at the MWC tourney.

We might not even need to win the MWC tourney to make the dance. If we can string together some wins down the stretch we might win the league outright or we might get an at large.

Tonights win was huge. This team has a ton of heart.

The biggest thing for me and probably the greatest blessing of the mono 2015 setback: we've won back to back games without a lot of turnovers.
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National Champions 1943.

I do.