Referees

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
tweaked
Ranch Hand

Well that was painful. We turned it over too much, couldn't knock down critical free throws, but damn the refs were awful. Adams was mugged several times, no calls. Nance hacked, no call. We touch foul on the other end, quick whistles. Did any one see this on tv? see replays? Is this just brown and gold glasses. Was at the game, and I'm fairly close, but it sure looked like the refs screwed us several times, at least 10 points worth.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 91 times

Fresno's coach had them in his pocket. They had no control over that game.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

And bad hair to boot. The one ref was a gray haired, but ginger dyed.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

It was an ugly game for refs. I can't count the number of turnovers we made on plays made through a guy.
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

djm19 wrote:And bad hair to boot. The one ref was a gray haired, but ginger dyed.
Spalding, dude needs to retire. He sucked it up last night as usual. Adams get thrown to the ground right in front of him with no call. Adams gets up and gets pushed by the Fresno guy which results in a double foul. Horrendous, but Dave Hall was consistent as usual, always terrible.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 117 times

Dave Hall's crew is the worst crew in the history of officiating. How he is still employed by the conference after his years of ineptitude is beyond me.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

It was obvious to me the strategy by Fresno State's coach was to get as physical with Wyoming as the refs would allow. Well, it turned out they were allowing just about anything until in the second half when the fans and coaches had seen enough and started letting the officiating crew know about it. The officials had a huddle in the middle of the court during a timeout and it was very apparent they decided they would show the Wyoming fans and coaches who was in charge. From then on, they then called every touch foul on Wyoming they could call - which resulted in DC picking up either 3 or 4 fouls in just about 5 minutes.
This was the poorest officiated game I have seen this season.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

It was bad, no question. But we can't blame the loss on that. Missed free throws and TO's, that was the game.

The double technical was a load of crap, and anybody with eyes could have seen that. Adams went down hard and took the Fresno player with him, but not intentionally. The Fresno player bumped Adams once he got up, and Adams actually backed away a step. He was pissed afterwards for the technical on him cause he knew he hadn't done anything, IMO.

I knew it was going to be bad at about 5 minutes in when Nance got the ball at the top of the key. His guy came up to defend him, and Guerrero came in and simply mugged him. Put his hands on Nance's back, and grabbed his arm at least twice before he got his hands on the ball, when they finally called the foul. That crap happened all night with Nance and Adams.

It didn't lose us the game, but it was pretty piss poor officiating all the way around.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Larry Spaulding is probably the worst one we have(the red head, weasel), I didn't mind Dave Hall nor Eric Curry last night, we truly played a Thug type team last night, and they won on that level, by playing overly physical, something we don't like very much. That double technical was warranted only by Spaulding himself not the play itself, he didnt' have control and then thought the players were overstaging him. Yes we play better when we get to the line itself, but once there you gotta make due at that time, make the impt shots.
Larry was frustrated and rusty but I loved his grit and in time he'll be back.
We let that one get away from us, and it's too bad, but all the blame was not on the refs although it didn't help neither
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

wellpoke wrote:It was bad, no question. But we can't blame the loss on that. Missed free throws and TO's, that was the game.

The double technical was a load of crap, and anybody with eyes could have seen that. Adams went down hard and took the Fresno player with him, but not intentionally. The Fresno player bumped Adams once he got up, and Adams actually backed away a step. He was pissed afterwards for the technical on him cause he knew he hadn't done anything, IMO.

I knew it was going to be bad at about 5 minutes in when Nance got the ball at the top of the key. His guy came up to defend him, and Guerrero came in and simply mugged him. Put his hands on Nance's back, and grabbed his arm at least twice before he got his hands on the ball, when they finally called the foul. That crap happened all night with Nance and Adams.

It didn't lose us the game, but it was pretty piss poor officiating all the way around.
I never blamed the loss on the officiating. What I did say was the Fresno St coaches & team used the officiating (or lack of) to their advantage - and it worked for them. Still, very poor officiating.
I was sitting right behind Wyoming's offensive goal in the second half. In Wyoming's offensive scheme, Grabow passes the ball out front and then runs around the back side on the base line to come around the other side. Every single time he came around the back side (right in front of and within 3 or 4 feet of David Hall), Guerrero would give Grabow a shove with both forearms that would just about knock Grabow off his feet every time. This was never called a foul and Grabow never retaliated.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

wellpoke wrote:It was bad, no question. But we can't blame the loss on that. Missed free throws and TO's, that was the game.

Couldn't agree more. It's never a valid excuse for the loss, but that might be the worst officiating I've seen.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

They definitely cost us the game, the double T was the start of a game that was completely out of control and for the most part ignored.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 619 times
Been liked: 250 times

Wyo2dal wrote:They definitely cost us the game, the double T was the start of a game that was completely out of control and for the most part ignored.
I agree 100%. I always seem to go overboard blaming the refs so it's good to have my thoughts confirmed. It was jungle ball out there
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: It was jungle ball out there
Boy that sounds a little bit racist.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:They definitely cost us the game, the double T was the start of a game that was completely out of control and for the most part ignored.
I agree 100%. I always seem to go overboard blaming the refs so it's good to have my thoughts confirmed. It was jungle ball out there
I don't. Like I said, worst I've ever seen, but its tough to win any game with free throw shooting in the low 60%s and 14-5 turnover difference. But regardless of why we lost, those officials shouldn't have jobs
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cuttslam wrote:
LanderPoke wrote: It was jungle ball out there
Boy that sounds a little bit racist.
lol
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Wyo2dal wrote:They definitely cost us the game,
No they didn't. this team should be able to play through poor officiating, and they've done just that this season. They didn't last night. Missed 8 of 13 FT in the second half and had 14 TO's. You're not gonna win many games that way. Officials called the game the way they were gonna call the game. We've got to get to the point where that doesn't matter. This team is close, but not quite there as evidenced last night.

GO POKES!
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

wellpoke wrote:
No they didn't. this team should be able to play through poor officiating, and they've done just that this season. They didn't last night. Missed 8 of 13 FT in the second half and had 14 TO's. You're not gonna win many games that way. Officials called the game the way they were gonna call the game. We've got to get to the point where that doesn't matter. This team is close, but not quite there as evidenced last night.

GO POKES!
And in a couple of weeks, we get to start all over again....
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyolie Coyote wrote:
wellpoke wrote:

GO POKES!
And in a couple of weeks, we get to start all over again....
I bet this next class of recruits takes us to the top of the mountain, though. Have we ever had a player like Justin James come to Wyoming before?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote:
I watched that tip in replay in slow motion at least 50 times and I'm convinced that should have been basket interference and that was the shot that cost us the game in the end. The ball was above the rim in the cylinder and he reached up and grabbed the rim and then let go just before the ball came down.

Pretty sure Adams or Cooke has been called for that a time or two so I know they call it.

In every way shape and form I can read and see that was Basket interference and the shot should have been waved off now it doesn't give us a win if it's waved off but it's back to a 2 point game with 20 seconds to go and not a 4 point game and that IMO was the difference maker.

However I'm not going to dwell on it and I hope the players don't either one thing I learned a long time ago no matter the sport if there are judges or referees as a participant if you let them decide the fate of you winning or losing you only have you to blame.

As a fan I still get to blame the Refs.