The budget is approved.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Scroll all the way to the bottom and then work your way up for the Corbett cg photos.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo ... erplan.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Cowboy Junky on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:I wonder where the vision is on some of this poop - again.

Why not build a better than first-class HATC, that incorporates a couple of Olympic size pools and dive tanks - for UW swimming & diving to use as their facility as well, and demolish Corbett?

So confusing.
Because if any swimmers want to train at altitude, they will go to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs that USA swimming utilizes for all such camps. Having a giant swimming complex here would go relatively unused. Alluding to what Cowboy Junky put, by renovating Corbett, those facilities will be nice enough that if anyone would want to come here, they can use that; put that money into other aspects of the HATC where it will be more useful in the future.
Not true.

I spoke with TJ more than 10 years ago about UW building a high altitude swimming & diving complex to replace the current Corbett - which would serve as the home of UW swimming (as well as a training facility for others), and his thoughts were that if it happened, the revenue from non-UW / off season training would pay for the facility, and then some, in a very short amount of time.

The cost to train at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, and the lack of availability, paired with rough accessibility to many...well...you get it.

An example: What if the Casper Natrona swim team wanted to spend a couple of weeks training at altitude...they would have that opportunity in Laramie, not in Colorado Springs.
I get what you are saying, the thing I see with it, is that what you are proposing is far overkill. The new Corbett facility will be more than adequate for what you are proposing. If Natrona (or any other high school) wants to come down and train, they will be able to easily with the renovated pool.

Your proposal for a multi-pool facility would be extremely expensive not only in construction, but in maintenance as well. Furthermore, no facility like that exists anywhere in the country at the collegiate level...even at the most premiere swimming schools in the country. And while, I agree that thinking outside of the box and doing something no one else has done would is a great idea, swimming is not the sport to do it in. Frankly put, it would be severely under utilized and wouldn't be used nearly enough to justify the cost of construction and maintenance.

Now if you said, lets amp up the facilities for wrestling, cross country, track, cycling, triathlon, cross country skiing, biathlon, etc. I would totally agree with you, swimming is just not the sport where anything beyond the Corbett renovation will be needed.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: A prime example...the Wildcatter. Why on god's green earth they didn't take that son of a bitch to the edges to gain 2 more suites is beyond me, and a travesty.
Thank you, every time I see that I'm amazed they could have f-word that up but they did. At least they could do is paint it matching brown so it blends in and isn't so noticeable on TV.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

jessejames02 wrote:Sweet. Now all we need is high speed rail from every small town in Wyo to Laramie so people will show up to Winter games.

I agree 100% - until the years we get randomly deep snow on the track that derails us while traveling to the game :) We better get some good train-snow-plows ready!
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:The plan for Corbett is pretty sweet. The photos are in the athletics plan. It looks great. I don't know if we need a full on aquatics center with a couple of pools. One full sized pool is enough. We need to spend that money elsewhere, like renovating the west side of the War and looking at possibly enclosing the end zone.
Junky...I like you man, you are all Cowboy Fan - through and through.

But, from this post, I think that you are short-timing things. Meaning, "hey we only have so much to spend, so let's spend it here instead of here". I disagree with that that - I think we need to avoid half-assing something, just to afford half-assing something else. We need to raise the money, and do things right, the first time. A prime example...the Wildcatter. Why on god's green earth they didn't take that son of a bitch to the edges to gain 2 more suites is beyond me, and a travesty.
When i sat across the street watching that being buit - i was wondering the same thing. There are two bad spots to sit in - and they are on the north and south side of the wildcatters. Previously, I always enjoyed sitting where the wildcatters were and watch the game - and see mountains to the east and west too.

For the average fan - seeing the mountains from the top east side of the stadium was awesome. For the hardcore fan - they were there for the game.

These days I have seats on the west side. I miss looking at pilots hill. It reminds me of alot of ridiculous victories from the Joe Glenn era.

Instead, on rare occasion, if the stadium is very full, I see people that can't watch the other goal line because of the wildcatters. They really should have just finished that off and made it edge to edge.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WestWYOPoke wrote:I get what you are saying, the thing I see with it, is that what you are proposing is far overkill. The new Corbett facility will be more than adequate for what you are proposing. If Natrona (or any other high school) wants to come down and train, they will be able to easily with the renovated pool.

Your proposal for a multi-pool facility would be extremely expensive not only in construction, but in maintenance as well. Furthermore, no facility like that exists anywhere in the country at the collegiate level...even at the most premiere swimming schools in the country. And while, I agree that thinking outside of the box and doing something no one else has done would is a great idea, swimming is not the sport to do it in. Frankly put, it would be severely under utilized and wouldn't be used nearly enough to justify the cost of construction and maintenance.

Now if you said, lets amp up the facilities for wrestling, cross country, track, cycling, triathlon, cross country skiing, biathlon, etc. I would totally agree with you, swimming is just not the sport where anything beyond the Corbett renovation will be needed.
I should have clarified...I don't believe that the facility should be (nor is) swimming / diving only, but that UW could certainly incorporate everything (swimming included) under one roof. Swimming, diving, weights, cardio, resistance, track, cutting edge athlete training, everything in other words. Essentially...have the vision (balls) to grow & develop a HATC - and incorporate swimming under the same roof (while utilizing the facility as the actual UW swimming facility - to replace Corbett and then some).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

I should have clarified...I don't believe that the facility should be (nor is) swimming / diving only, but that UW could certainly incorporate everything (swimming included) under one roof. Swimming, diving, weights, cardio, resistance, track, cutting edge athlete training, everything in other words. Essentially...have the vision (balls) to grow & develop a HATC - and incorporate swimming under the same roof (while utilizing the facility as the actual UW swimming facility - to replace Corbett and then some).
All it takes is money, and lots of it.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Some of the nicest swimming facilities in the country are inside student recreation centers. I don't see why it wasn't possible to add a new and improved swimming and diving component to either half acre (which is being renovated currently) or to this new high altitude center. A third building doesn't make sense to me
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
WestWYOPoke wrote:I get what you are saying, the thing I see with it, is that what you are proposing is far overkill. The new Corbett facility will be more than adequate for what you are proposing. If Natrona (or any other high school) wants to come down and train, they will be able to easily with the renovated pool.

Ah, now I'm on the same page. Absolutely agree with you 100%.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:Some of the nicest swimming facilities in the country are inside student recreation centers. I don't see why it wasn't possible to add a new and improved swimming and diving component to either half acre (which is being renovated currently) or to this new high altitude center. A third building doesn't make sense to me
In order to put a facility the size of what we will be adding at Half Acre, they would have to either take out the Union parking lot (which we already have too much parking right??) or go halfway across Prexy's, there's just no room for it there.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

If you tore down Corbett completely, what would you put there? My vote would be a 100m indoor track facility :)