Nance's legacy and place in Cowboy History.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wyoav211933
Ranch Hand

He is kind of an interesting case, he was never part of any conference championships, will likely not ever win conference player of the year, may never play in game in the NCAA tourney and it wouldn't be that big of a stretch if he never even plays a game in the NIT either. I doubt he has an NBA career. And notwithstanding all of this I feel like he really is one of the greats.

We depended on him in a way that we generally have never asked our star players to in the past. Sailors, Garnett, Dembo, Slater,Bailey, and Davis had a decent supporting cast, and while I wouldn't say Nance is better than all of the guys on that list, I mention them to point out that Nance plays/played in a much different situation. Until this year, I feel like Nance's supporting cast has been mediocre to poor, he was far better than any of his teammates on both sides of the ball, played in a system that makes it hard to accrue high individual statistics, and had some tough luck with injuries and 1 season that was ruined by a teammate's barfight.

My only complaint I've ever had against him is sometimes he appeared to be reluctant to take games over and just post up, but I feel like he was a more complete player than Ratliff, was a better leader than Davis, a better athlete than Bailey. I don't think he is as good as Slater, but I think it's probably closer than you'd initially think.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Shut up, the games on lol
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Nance has to win 3 games next week to get into the conversation of best Pokes ever. And he has to get us a few more wins to make top 5.
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Nance has to win 3 games next week to get into the conversation of best Pokes ever. And he has to get us a few more wins to make top 5.
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
Top five? Now your being ridiculous.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 256 times

Larry's up there with the great ones for sure.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cuttslam wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:Nance has to win 3 games next week to get into the conversation of best Pokes ever. And he has to get us a few more wins to make top 5.
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
Him winning the MWC Tourney taking us to the Elite 8, then calling him one of 5 best isn't ridiculous.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
Him winning the MWC Tourney taking us to the Elite 8, then calling him one of 5 best isn't ridiculous.
Now your f-word ridiculous.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cuttslam wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
So if Nance gets us to the Elite 8 where do you think he stands?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

If you take the supporting cast of any players you just mentioned and give them to Nance this debate isn't even taking place and I think that alone tells you what you need to know about Nance and his place in Cowboy history.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cuttslam wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
Do you even read the poop I am posting? You realize I am not saying Nance is going to win the MWC Tourney, then win 3 more games to Wyo into the Elite 8.

I am saying IF that happens, Nance is a Top 5 Poke. Unless you think Bentz is the reason we would ever get that far.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
And if I could poop gold I'd be rich.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Cuttslam wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
Cuttslam wrote:
4 CBIs doesn't cut it.
And if I could poop gold I'd be rich.
Okay, lemme know when you wanna answer the question and not just be a douchebag.

This thread was about Nance's legacy among all-time greats.
So I said Nance would have to win a MWC Tourney Championship and get us into the Elite 8 to make Top 5.

And how is that f-word ridiculous? You think Nance is already Top 5? You think getting us to the Elite 8 doesn't make him a Top 5?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Very good player, but not great. He will leave having never been on a team that did anything.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote:Very good player, but not great. He will leave having never been on a team that did anything.
I agree.
But do you think he shoots up the list IF the team goes on a win streak next weekend?
It's now or never. And we really don't have a great history of making the Big Dance in the last 25 years or so.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:Very good player, but not great. He will leave having never been on a team that did anything.
I agree.
But do you think he shoots up the list IF the team goes on a win streak next weekend?
It's now or never. And we really don't have a great history of making the Big Dance in the last 25 years or so.
Oh absolutely. To be an all-time great you have to have led the team to something. And the CBI is not something. We still talk about Fennis Dembo because he led the team to the Sweet 16. If you want stats, Jay Strait was an all-time great.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
I agree.
Oh absolutely. To be an all-time great you have to have led the team to something. And the CBI is not something. We still talk about Fennis Dembo because he led the team to the Sweet 16. If you want stats, Jay Strait was an all-time great.
+1

What do we need to achieve to make Nance Top 5 all time?
Is sweet 16 enough?
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:If you take the supporting cast of any players you just mentioned and give them to Nance this debate isn't even taking place and I think that alone tells you what you need to know about Nance and his place in Cowboy history.
I agree with your point to a...point. However, I'm sorry, if I am to be objective and take off my Cowboy's glasses I have to acknowledge that he is a middle tier player who doesn't show he has the ability to take over a game when it counts the most.

You make a terrific point however that bolsters my contention that this is truly an average team that plays hard and has great heart - but in the end is usually defeated by better teams...such as New Mexico.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

You think Nance is already Top 5?
No
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:
SDPokeFan wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
I agree.
+1

What do we need to achieve to make Nance Top 5 all time?
Is sweet 16 enough?
If you can't make the tournament how do you reach the sweet 16. CBI doesn't count.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Cuttslam wrote:
You think Nance is already Top 5?
No
Cutslam I actually think that Nance was misused this season. The Shyatt offense did him no favors IMO. As I stated previously the lack of getting him the ball in a position to be closer to the basket and the inability to get him to the foul line more consistently was a big missed opportunity.