Is it fair to question if Larry Nance Jr. is overrated?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

To preface, let me be clear, the comment you are about to read has nothing to do with the just completed game, and it is almost unthinkable to the well majority of terrific Pokes fans here, of this I am almost certain.

Larry Nance.

A good player, yes.

An overrated player as well?

In my opinion, the answer is once again, yes.

I am aware he had a torn ACL last season and mono this season...this has nothing to do with my point.

A good to at times a very good player - but not a great player as I saw it this season as defined what my own personal evaluations of what 'great' constitutes.
Last edited by DocHolliday on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

No war here, your absolutely right.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

I certainly think he could have a career in the NBA, but being realistic isn't bad. He will go down as one the most beloved players in UW history but statistically he is a very good player, but not elite.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I certainly think he could have a career in the NBA, but being realistic isn't bad. He will go down as one the most beloved players in UW history but statistically he is a very good player, but not elite.
This must be an aberration...the cavalry must be reloading their weapons and planning to make their charge. I feared a board meltdown with my thoughts...it may yet still come!
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:I certainly think he could have a career in the NBA, but being realistic isn't bad. He will go down as one the most beloved players in UW history but statistically he is a very good player, but not elite.
He has taken a lot of games over. Sometimes needed more help to win a game.
But sometimes he would play decent against top teams, then dominate against weak teams.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
This must be an aberration...the cavalry must be reloading their weapons and planning to make their charge. I feared a board meltdown with my thoughts...it may yet still come!
The night is still young....
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Thats a reasonable assessment.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Merge these two threads. Why do we need two deriding Larry? Larry is awesome and he is an all timer
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

He'll have a career in the NBA he has the connections to get him the tryout and then it's entirely up to him and the work he puts in now it may take some D League time but I believe we will be watching him in the NBA at some point.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:He'll have a career in the NBA he has the connections to get him the tryout and then it's entirely up to him and the work he puts in now it may take some D League time but I believe we will be watching him in the NBA at some point.
Hey I'm rooting for Larry, hope it works out for him.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Cuttslam wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:He'll have a career in the NBA he has the connections to get him the tryout and then it's entirely up to him and the work he puts in now it may take some D League time but I believe we will be watching him in the NBA at some point.
Hey I'm rooting for Larry, hope it works out for him.
Ditto completely...I just think he's actually been less than what I was hoping for during his UW run. But that's just me.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Let me add to this, I hope like hell he does. I will root for him as long as he plays. After the Brett Smith swing and miss I am hesitant to get overly excited about Wyoming players getting drafted
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
Let me add to this, I hope like hell he does. I will root for him as long as he plays. After the Brett Smith swing and miss I am hesitant to get overly excited about Wyoming players getting drafted
Every time someone such as yourself reminds me of Brett's absurd and exceptionally short-sighted decision, I cringe.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

DocHolliday wrote:
Every time someone such as yourself reminds me of Brett's absurd and exceptionally short-sighted decision, I cringe.
Hahaha.... me too..
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
What a waste. We win 2 more games (at least) if he comes back for his senior season
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

Nance is a warrior. He plays while having Crohn's Disease. I'll let you Google that yourselves so you can see just how debilitating that disease can be. In addition to fighting Crohn's, he also has to fight the side effects of the medication he takes to treat his Crohn's. Here's a short list of those side effects:

Pain/swelling at injection site, joint/muscle pain, swelling ankles/feet, easy bruising/bleeding, vision changes, seizures, confusion, muscle weakness, numbness/tingling of arms/legs, butterfly-shaped facial rash, chest pain, pain/redness/swelling of arms or legs, shortness of breath, fast/slow/irregular heartbeat.

On top of all of the things associated with Crohn's, he came back from major knee surgery. And he had a bad case of mono. Not counting tonight, in 26 games he has averaged 34 minutes a game, 53.5% from the field, 78.3% from the line, 16 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game, and about 2.5 assists per game.

He may not be the best player ever at UW, but given his personal health issues, he is the #1 toughest son of a bitch I've ever had the pleasure of watching. He will someday grace the court of an NBA franchise. He will be missed.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

DocHolliday wrote:
What a waste. We win 2 more games (at least) if he comes back for his senior season
IF brett never had that concussion. IF brett comes back for senior year.
We probably go to 3 bowl games in 4 years. And who knows about that 1 we wouldn't have? Maybe the team doesn't quit like they did. Maybe they win 1 more that season and go to 4.

Brett Smith and Nance are similar stories.

So great against bad teams. And good against good teams. Injuries left a lot to be desired and could have made them great instead of good.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

CowboyNV wrote:Nance is a warrior. He plays while having Crohn's Disease. I'll let you Google that yourselves so you can see just how debilitating that disease can be. In addition to fighting Crohn's, he also has to fight the side effects of the medication he takes to treat his Crohn's. Here's a short list of those side effects:

Pain/swelling at injection site, joint/muscle pain, swelling ankles/feet, easy bruising/bleeding, vision changes, seizures, confusion, muscle weakness, numbness/tingling of arms/legs, butterfly-shaped facial rash, chest pain, pain/redness/swelling of arms or legs, shortness of breath, fast/slow/irregular heartbeat.

On top of all of the things associated with Crohn's, he came back from major knee surgery. And he had a bad case of mono. Not counting tonight, in 26 games he has averaged 34 minutes a game, 53.5% from the field, 78.3% from the line, 16 points per game, 7.4 rebounds per game, and about 2.5 assists per game.

He may not be the best player ever at UW, but given his personal health issues, he is the #1 toughest son of a bitch I've ever had the pleasure of watching. He will someday grace the court of an NBA franchise. He will be missed.
If he ever has any kind of an appreciable NBA career and I'm proven wrong we'll go drinking all night at the Buckhorn and I'll tell you to leave your wallet at home.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

DocHolliday wrote:
CowboyNV wrote:Nance is a warrior. He plays while having Crohn's Disease. I'll let you Google that yourselves so you can see just how debilitating that disease can be. In addition to fighting Crohn's, he also has to fight the side effects of the medication he takes to treat his Crohn's. Here's a short list of those side effects:

If he ever has any kind of an appreciable NBA career and I'm proven wrong we'll go drinking all night at the Buckhorn and I'll tell you to leave your wallet at home.
You are on my friend.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

CowboyNV wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:

You are on my friend.
I actually hope I'm wrong on this and we have those beers!