Kiszla: Wyoming basketball is tough — and tough to watch

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

This Wyoming basketball team is easy to love. Led by the under- appreciated hoops genius of Larry Shyatt, the Cowboys are tougher than barbed wire. Their backcourt of Josh Adams and Riley Grabau was made in Colorado. The team survived so many down-to-the-buzzer games that die-hard fans went stark-raving mad long before March Madness began.

"Why wouldn't it be a nail-biter?" Adams said Thursday, telling the media gathered for the 'Pokes' opening game of the NCAA Tournament against Northern Iowa to expect intense drama.

But, before grabbing a seat on the Wyoming bandwagon, you should be forewarned: This is guaranteed to be a bumpy ride.

I love the 'Pokes. But I hate how they're wrecking the beauty of basketball.

College hoops is now coyote ugly.

Wyoming qualified for the NCAA tourney by beating San Diego State 45-43 in a Mountain West title game that was so slow-paced, it could have made Dr. James Naismith rethink the wisdom of hanging a peach basket on the wall. Defense might win championships, but only once since 1952 has the college game suffered through a season when scoring was so down and out.

For those casual fans that show up only for the Big Dance, yes, it is now considered a major achievement if a college team scores 70 points.

Between control-freak coaches and all the pizza commercials, endless timeouts have made the flow of college basketball positively glacial. In an effort to draw charging fouls, defenders flop so shamelessly it could cause a soccer player to fall down laughing. Spacing on the court feels as claustrophobic as the Apple store on the release date of a new iPhone.

Rest of story here--> http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_277 ... ough-watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Garbage article by someone that should stick to NBA games.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:But, before grabbing a seat on the Wyoming bandwagon, you should be forewarned: This is guaranteed to be a bumpy ride.
It may be a bumpy ride at times, but not for the reason he thinks
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Kizla is garbage.
Screw him. His articles are tough to read.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

Why do you post this crap right after a loss? Do you think Kiszla actually knows jack about the game of basketball? Who cares.

Kiszla has always been about stirring the pot in order to grab viewership. He now wants college hoops to look more like the NBA. Really? Yeah, that's what we need.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

POKE FAN wrote:Why do you post this crap right after a loss? Do you think Kiszla actually knows jack about the game of basketball? Who cares.

Kiszla has always been about stirring the pot in order to grab viewership. He now wants college hoops to look more like the NBA. Really? Yeah, that's what we need.

After a loss? After a loss, after a win, after a damn tie...who gives a rats ass when it's posted? This is a Wyoming message board concerning all things Wyoming sports for crying out loud. Wyoming hoops is mentioned in a major American newspaper by one of their preeminent columnists...and because the tone is something you personally object to its to be ignored? Grow up.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Nah, Dino is just upset because he talked poop about Larry Shyatt and Nance while having a Bohlgasm, only to see the Pokes win the MW Tournament and make the big dance. The jinx is real. :cool: :lol: ;)
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:Nah, Dino is just upset because he talked poop about Larry Shyatt and Nance while having a Bohlgasm, only to see the Pokes win the MW Tournament and make the big dance. The jinx is real. :cool: :lol: ;)
Try again, Stumpy...I'm not upset about anything.

I've maintained throughout the season that this team was average at best - and I unapologetically maintain that feeling. I was thrilled to see them win the MWC Tournament (obviously) but it did nothing to move me off of my position that in terms of pure talent they are behind several other teams in the conference.

The loss yesterday showed that Shyatt has done nothing to change up the stone age offensive system (ALL YEAR!) -- and he was clearly outcoached by Ben Jacobson throughout that game. That first half offensive showing was beyond painful to watch...was Nance even on the floor in the first half? Does a 'franchise' CBB player perform that feebly in a big time game like that? (this goes back to my points about Nance in a few big games this season where his involvement was less than stellar) No, a great player puts together 2 half's back-to-back like Nance performed in the 2nd half. He does that and takes the Pokes on his back and we might be playing tomorrow. If not for Hankerson (not Nance) Wyoming is down by maybe 25 at halftime. Nance is good, an all-time Cowboy, yes, but save me this crap about him being a 'great' player. Brown & Gold kool-aid will do that to you, I guess.

Shyatt is a good coach and Nance is a good player and Wyoming earned their MWC Championship this season. I just choose to look at the season with a bit more realistic perspective than you do...that and I'm not interested in sunshine-pumping exclusively - as you appear to be.

Now take another shot, Jared.

Go Pokes.

P.S. The curator of this site should seriously think about re-naming the board to something along the lines of: WYONATION.COM (Where only the good stuff is allowed...please leave your objections and or critically thinking thoughts at the door before entering)
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
POKE FAN wrote:Why do you post this crap right after a loss? Do you think Kiszla actually knows jack about the game of basketball? Who cares.

After a loss? After a loss, after a win, after a damn tie...who gives a rats ass when it's posted? This is a Wyoming message board concerning all things Wyoming sports for crying out loud. Wyoming hoops is mentioned in a major American newspaper by one of their preeminent columnists...and because the tone is something you personally object to its to be ignored? Grow up.
Maybe I should have said "after a TOUGH, SEASON-ENDING loss". Is that better? Are you just looking for attention by posting a negative article by a regional media troll like Kiszla? Do you even understand the game of college basketball? Have you ever touched a basketball in your life? I doubt it. Marky-Mark knows very little about Wyoming hoops. The fact that Kiszla refers to Shyatt as "under-appreciated" immediately shows how little he knows about the man. People who know the game -- both regionally and nationally -- have MUCH respect for Shyatt's coaching abilities. Apparently, you agree with a basketball-challenged journalist like Kiszla by looking at the stupid remarks you've made on this thread.

Referring to Wyoming's offensive system as "stone age", is a perfect example. You do understand that, for the most part, Wyoming only had two players on the offensive end who could really create and produce on a consistent basis this year (Nance and Adams), correct? Shyatt's philosophy was to limit the number of possessions per game (instead of turning the game into a track meet -- especially against more talented/deeper teams), play good defense, and let the chips fall where they may. As the program develops more depth, the offensive philosophy may/will change somewhat. Hopefully, you understand that.

You ask where Nance was during the first half? A basketball-savvy spectator like yourself would have immediately observed Jacobson's boys quickly doubling Nance anytime he touched the ball within a certain radius of the basket. Nance, for the most part, had little opportunity to operate. He was forced to kick the ball out a lot. Obviously, UNI looked at Nance as Wyoming's biggest threat on that end and focused on taking him out of the flow and out of his rhythm. It worked.

"My humble suggestions: 1) Reduce the time on the shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds; 2) Move back the 3-point line to the international distance of a little more than 22 feet in the hope that encourages more offensive motion; 3) Punish obvious defensive flopping with technical fouls, and 4) Cut the number of timeouts allowed coaches by half to let the action flow."

Bravo, Mark!! In the long run, these retarded comments/suggestions by Kiszla would really benefit college basketball and most "mid-major" programs in their quest to compete with "Power Five" squads in head-to-head play, wouldn't they?!! Of course, your hatred of "stone age" offensive philosophies leads you to agree with a hoops authority like Kiszla, I'm sure. :thumb:
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

lol so I'm both a homer and short, huh? There is a first for everything I guess. :lol:
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

The day college basketball looks like the NBA is the day I quit watching college basketball.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

CowboyNV wrote:The day college basketball looks like the NBA is the day I quit watching college basketball.
Double stamped. If I wanted to watch basketball obviously and obnoxiously skewed to offense I would just watch the NBA. I like defensive battles.
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

I'm soon to be sitting down and digging into a nice juicy steak...I'll be back with you hombre's shortly :tickedoff: You're a tough bunch of cusses, that's for sure :coffee:
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

There is absolutely nothing wrong with one team wanting to run and gun and nothing wrong with another setting it up and slowing it down. Even the NBA had a team that would set it up and run a motion for almost 24 seconds. They rarely scored over 100 and when they did it was only by a few points. They were known for a motion and sets. And they were successful. And usually it frustrated any other team they played.
Do you know who this was?

Hint: Stockton to Malone!!!

When you begin to tell teams how and what they can do on offense, you lose the complete dynamic of basketball. It's what makes basketball great. You can do what you feel is best for your team to be productive. It's not "Stone Age" when there have been multiple teams slowing it down EVERY year for the last one hundred year.
It's not inhibiting the progress of the game in anyway. It just upsets fans of teams that score 80+ ppg whe they are held to 60. I don't care if it frustrates you. That's the point, and it generally helps the underdog have a chance.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Well, I'm clearly not the expert Doc is, but I saw something clearly different. UNI had a great defensive game plan and harassed Adams and Nance the first half. Shyatt adjusted creating a little more space and also clamping down on Tuttle. Worked great and then UNI adjusted to their guard play.

I thought the coaching and play was excellent by both squads; UNI was just a better team. That will happen in March.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

kansasCowboy wrote:There is absolutely nothing wrong with one team wanting to run and gun and nothing wrong with another setting it up and slowing it down. Even the NBA had a team that would set it up and run a motion for almost 24 seconds. They rarely scored over 100 and when they did it was only by a few points. They were known for a motion and sets. And they were successful. And usually it frustrated any other team they played.
Do you know who this was?

Hint: Stockton to Malone!!!

When you begin to tell teams how and what they can do on offense, you lose the complete dynamic of basketball. It's what makes basketball great. You can do what you feel is best for your team to be productive. It's not "Stone Age" when there have been multiple teams slowing it down EVERY year for the last one hundred year.
It's not inhibiting the progress of the game in anyway. It just upsets fans of teams that score 80+ ppg whe they are held to 60. I don't care if it frustrates you. That's the point, and it generally helps the underdog have a chance.
Stockton to Malone was not low scoring. Utah routinely scored more than 100 points a game. And why you're comparing NBA to the college game is about as relevant as when compared an early season college basketball upset to a football upset.
although I'm not a fan of Kizla in general, he's right on this. These games are not entertaining. Our games against Utah st and Boise state were quite good. But the championship game was nearly unwatchable. I think we need a 30 second shot clock. I also agree there are way too many timeouts. The flow of the game is just non existant with all the whistles and the time outs and free throws.

At one point, NFL games were quite low scoring. Then the rules were changed to free up receivers down the field and suddenly the scoring increased and the ratings went through the roof. Change can be a good thing. It wasn't that long ago we had no shot clock and no 3 point line. I remember Brandenburg played 4 corners on our home floor against byu and the the score was like 4-0 at the half. Worst game I've ever seen.

Doc Holliday, you are wasting your time. You cannot post anything on this board that is critical of Wyoming basketball, general or specific. I think the team over achieved. So I give the players and the coaches credit. Also, I think we got as about as bad a draw as possible in the first round. I enjoy seeing us competitive. But Shyatt reminds me a bit of Boyd Grant, who used to coach at csewe. They made a couple of NCAA tournaments back in the early 90's, I believe. They played a deliberate style similar to us. At some point, it affected recruiting. They were successful, but it's hard to recruit talent when they see the style of play isn't exactly condusive to shooting and scoring. It will be interesting to see what kind of talent we get in the coming years.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Scores of last few NCAA champ games...
60-54
82-76
67-59
53-41
61-59

Yeah, WYO is clearly a trend setter and restructuring how cbb is played. :roll:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Scores of last few NCAA champ games...
60-54
82-76
67-59
53-41
61-59

Hey! No go showing that "Doc" and others are wrong! That makes them look bad when they try and act smart!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Scores of last few NCAA champ games...
60-54
82-76
67-59
53-41
61-59

Hey! No go showing that "Doc" and others are wrong! That makes them look bad when they try and act smart!
David, please stop.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Who the f-word is David?