Depth Chart released

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
We will compete with this. I'm a little more confident in Bohl and his staff with our current players to get them in this and have a chance in each game.
Being the optimist, I remember going 4-8, but remember losing on a end of the game winning FG (could've been 5-7), we lost several starters on D and then some back ups went down as well, two of our main D guys and one back up at Hawaii, we had a huge lead, and when those guys went out, you could see the comeback taking place for Hawaii. (Close to 6-6)
Agreed. That is what I'm getting at. I too think we will compete this year and definitely next year. If it takes 5-6 years to become competitive with MWC programs, then it just isn't working. The other MWC programs are also terrible. There is 0 reason to take that long to become really competitive in the MWC. I think a good illustration will be UNM this year. IMO, this is their barometer year. Their program after Locks was in worse shape than ours.

I know many disagree, but I think it is nonsense to wait patiently for 5+ years to get to a bowl game in a conference like the MWC.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

J-Rod wrote: So far, Bohl recruits a few guys that leave me :) , several that I'm like :| , and the rest have me feeling :x . He needs a class full of :) recruits before I begin to believe Bohl will reach his potential in Laramie.
Wow, well-played sir.

In summary, I always think the season will be like 8-), but I always end up feeling like a little of :lol: , a lot of :cry: , a ton of :brick:, by midseason we are missing wide open receivers in the end zone vs SJSU and the train wreck careens.

Either way, I still think six wins is attainable and a good start. Where we want to be? Of course not. But a start.

Off topic, but I need to eat crow for breakfast. Jason Thompson is lighting WRs up at safety.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
We will compete with this. I'm a little more confident in Bohl and his staff with our current players to get them in this and have a chance in each game.
Being the optimist, I remember going 4-8, but remember losing on a end of the game winning FG (could've been 5-7), we lost several starters on D and then some back ups went down as well, two of our main D guys and one back up at Hawaii, we had a huge lead, and when those guys went out, you could see the comeback taking place for Hawaii. (Close to 6-6)
Agreed. That is what I'm getting at. I too think we will compete this year and definitely next year. If it takes 5-6 years to become competitive with MWC programs, then it just isn't working. The other MWC programs are also terrible. There is 0 reason to take that long to become really competitive in the MWC. I think a good illustration will be UNM this year. IMO, this is their barometer year. Their program after Locks was in worse shape than ours.

I know many disagree, but I think it is nonsense to wait patiently for 5+ years to get to a bowl game in a conference like the MWC.
I think people have different definitions of compete. It won't take 5+ years to get to a bowl game but may take 5 or 6 years before we are competing for a championship. As in playing in the championship game. I think it could happen sooner but we should be bowl eligible by next year(if not this year) then rise in the standings from there.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

WYCowboy wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:
LanderPoke wrote:
Slow Hand wrote:I bet Austin Fort Transfers. Any takers? ;-)
Why would he transfer?
He wants to play QB, not TE. I think he will look for a place that he can compete for a QB spot. I realize that nobody is guaranteed a spot but he has lost the chance to even compete for one in Wyoming. He is outta here. Just my opinion, and "locker room talk" ( Potato will love that one) :lol:
If he's so opposed to the move, why not just quit/transfer already? Why make a position change for spring ball just so that he can transfer over the summer and move back to QB? Makes no sense.
Did you look at the depth chart? He is at the "four" spot at the TE position. I think the likely hood of him playing there is about the same as him playing at QB. I can't answer why he wouldn't transfer right now. Perhaps he doesn't want to loose his credits or scholarship money, or maybe because this move is so new and somewhat unexpected to him he hasn't thought it all the way through. I can't be sure but up until now I think all of his spring reps have been at QB. so the move has to be new to him.
I wonder why - since he has only been listed at the TE position for less than a week.
I think I saw them say that he was moved over after the spring game so he was only a TE for one practice before releasing the depth chart. SO being 4th shouldn't be a negative thing. Not saying he will rise to the top. I have no idea but nothing should be read into him being 4th.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Really, not much SHOULD be read into the depth chart right now, especially with the slew of people still recovering from injuries and still waiting for others to come in for Fall practice. Not to mention the weights haven't been updated since LAST season, so people freaking out over those especially need to chill out.
Slow Hand
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:Really, not much SHOULD be read into the depth chart right now, especially with the slew of people still recovering from injuries and still waiting for others to come in for Fall practice. Not to mention the weights haven't been updated since LAST season, so people freaking out over those especially need to chill out.
Not to mention Bohl's high level recruits that will be in camp come Fall. Only issue with them is that will not know the system.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
How have you not come to the realization this is Wyoming by now? If it takes a school that has no trouble getting 3-4 star recruits 3-4 years to turn a program around how the hell is a 2-3 start recruit school going to do it faster?
What teams in the MWC are consistently loading up with 3 and 4 star recruits? SJSU had a class out of nowhere this year and BSU. Maybe SDSU.

You guys act like we are in the SEC or the MWC of old. There is no way in hell it should take 5+ years to crawl to the upper third (i.e. T4 or so) in this heap.
IMO, recruiting rankings don't mean much. Most of the NFL is filled with 2* guys. We've seen 3* and 4* guys at Wyoming not pan out and we've seen walk-on's make NFL rosters. There are a few recruiting services out there and most of the ranking are all over the place.

The key is player development, heart and commitment. And, I think this is one area where CB shines.

I do agree it will take a couple years to build the program to a point where we are competing for MWC titles, New Year Bowl games, etc. But, we are very close to being a top half MWC team year in and year out.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

JimmyDimes wrote: I do agree it will take a couple years to build the program to a point where we are competing for MWC titles, New Year Bowl games, etc. But, we are very close to being a top half MWC team year in and year out.
:thumb:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

jarhead wrote:Please know Kansas, that my last post was a joke. I like Jamie and think he was an incredible coach! no one ever figured out how to defend his option game.
Jamie is a good friend and former Landerite. I was always impressed with his coaching ability at Rock Springs. He does seem to have the same mentality as Bohl.
Larawie
Ranch Hand

Slow Hand wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
Not to mention Bohl's high level recruits that will be in camp come Fall. Only issue with them is that will not know the system.
I'd bet within a week after signin' they all received handbooks and playbooks explainin' everythin' includin' S&C expectations. I don't doubt they were set up to participate. They may not be ready for all the rigors and schedules of practice, but they were apprised of what's ahead. How they prepare ahead-of-time will be an integral part of if or when they see reps.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Saying Bohl gets a free pass for his first class is poop.

He chose to stay in North Dakota and not get started on recruiting. He made a choice, albeit it, a tough choice, but he made the choice to prioritize NDSU over Wyoming.

I highly doubt it will be the downfall of Wyo football (that already happened a long time ago), but it's not doing him any favors.

I remember waiting for class to start talking with Jason Thompson and Thompson said he wished Bohl would leave NDSU asap and get started at Wyo. Now, I have no idea if Bohl waiting so long is contributed to Thompson leaving, but at the end of the day, certain players are more valuable than others, and if it did contribute in Thompson leaving Wyo, Bohl staying to win a 3rd FCS title essentially cost Wyoming a bowl game or two.

You have got to start the "coulda woulda shoulda" convo when talking about it, but Thompson sure does give us a better chance to win last season than Kirk, along with being a returning starter this season would put Wyo a lot closer to the 6 wins as there would have been momentum in the program.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Damn, your obsession with Thompson is borderline stalker worthy.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The no-contact period for recruits starts in December and goes through into January. There was no reason for Bohl to show up early, he couldn't do anything about recruiting anyway.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

BeaverPoke wrote:Saying Bohl gets a free pass for his first class is poop.

He chose to stay in North Dakota and not get started on recruiting. He made a choice, albeit it, a tough choice, but he made the choice to prioritize NDSU over Wyoming.

I highly doubt it will be the downfall of Wyo football (that already happened a long time ago), but it's not doing him any favors.

I remember waiting for class to start talking with Jason Thompson and Thompson said he wished Bohl would leave NDSU asap and get started at Wyo. Now, I have no idea if Bohl waiting so long is contributed to Thompson leaving, but at the end of the day, certain players are more valuable than others, and if it did contribute in Thompson leaving Wyo, Bohl staying to win a 3rd FCS title essentially cost Wyoming a bowl game or two.

You have got to start the "coulda woulda shoulda" convo when talking about it, but Thompson sure does give us a better chance to win last season than Kirk, along with being a returning starter this season would put Wyo a lot closer to the 6 wins as there would have been momentum in the program.
I'm with JRod, I really don't think it mattered. But when he did come here, and I asked this before, what does he have that he can sell to a recruit that they are not getting anywhere else?
You have the potential to start early? I'm sure they almost all hear that.
We have great potential as a program here? Yup, sure.
You have a chance to be great here. I'm sure the other 20 colleges are saying the same thing.
You can get a great education here. And what makes us stand out any different?

So what can he use? Two championships... Or THREE in a row and wants to do the same thing here, and wants you to be a part of the experience.

My guess is three in a row probably pops in the eyes of recruits a little more. Yeah, it's not Alabama or Fla St. But I'm sure if they watch college football they saw NDSU take down KSU. I'm sure they probably tuned in to the FCS championship games.

That is what he has to sell right now, until the wins on the Field take effect.

And I'm sure that the recruiting prowess gets much deeper than that when a recruit begins to show more interest, maybe visits and even gets offered.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:The no-contact period for recruits starts in December and goes through into January. There was no reason for Bohl to show up early, he couldn't do anything about recruiting anyway.
Fair enough.
But he could have at the very least made an effort to reach out to key Wyo players, outside of flying to Oregon to talk to Brett in a last minute effort.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Maybe it is just me (in all seriousness) but I am not sure that recruits eagerly tune into FCS championship games...I don't think that fans of FBS football do that. I certainly didn't / don't. I am an FBS fan - being a Wyoming fan - and could give a hot poop about anything FCS. Hell I don't even know where NDSU is located, nor do I care. They are like a highway fender bender to me. They may get my attention for 5 - 10 seconds, but after that, I won't remember anything about it, nor care.

And I also am not sure any recruits tuned in, watched, or even paid attention to NDSU beating KSU. Maybe a few certainly, and definitely recruits of North Dakota (the university), and probably Kansas (the state). It isn't like Casper Natrona took on the Florida Gators and beat them. Most people probably thought it was a fluke that saw in on the "ticker".

I also am in the camp with BeaverPoke on his timing. He could have been in place at UW with at least 2 weeks left to contact recruits instead of f-word around in North Dakota trying to get another trophy. But it was probably tied to $$, so I can't really say I blame him. Sucked, and still sucks for us UW fans, but after 3 or 4 more years it won't matter anyway.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

People might not have tuned into the FCS championship game, but they know Craig Bohl because of his success. That success will have just as much, if not more of a factor in recruiting than him being in Laramie two weeks earlier than he showed up.

Obviously two camps....those who believe in what Bohl is doing and those who want to poop on everything he is or isn't doing.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

JimmyDimes wrote:People might not have tuned into the FCS championship game, but they know Craig Bohl because of his success. That success will have just as much, if not more of a factor in recruiting than him being in Laramie two weeks earlier than he showed up.
I agree with this. I just don't think that a couple of extra weeks that late into recruiting would have functionally changed our roster. Best case scenario is we land a couple more MWC caliber players, but I don't think that's a given.

We identified Craig Bohl as the ideal candidate to lead the program and we hired him with full knowledge of his availability and previous commitments. I don't know whether or not Bohl is the right man for the job(get back to me in 4-5 years), but if he is than having him on board in the long run is more important than anything that would have happened in those first couple of weeks.

I agree with McPeachy that recruits probably didn't watch the FCS championship game or the NDSU/KSU game (I sure didn't), but Bohl's accomplishments have been highly publicized and make for great PR which assists with recruiting. I think his success at NDSU is a valuable recruiting tool. God knows we don't have any of our own success to entice recruits with (at least not since they were in diapers), so at least we have a coach that can advertise his own accomplishments as a head coach.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

I actually admire his staying for the last title. Shows he has commitment to finish what he started.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

joshvanklomp wrote:I actually admire his staying for the last title. Shows he has commitment to finish what he started.
The guy who became a fan of Wyoming athletics only after Bohl was hired as coach admires what Bohl did.... Total shocker.