OT Thread to help avoid further banter:

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Wyokie wrote:
djm19 wrote:Ugh
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... /1996.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those were the days.
Only ranked team NOT to go bowling that year. Pathetic.
What could have been...

Beat SDSU that year, and we are probably close to #10 heading into the WAC championship game. And then the unmentioned happens, and no bowl game. Without the unmentioned, we would have finished 12 & 0 and been a lock for a good bowl game.

:cry:

:thumbdown:

And if that all were to happen...where would we be today...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

McPeachy wrote:
Wyokie wrote:
djm19 wrote:Ugh
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/sch ... /1996.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those were the days.
Only ranked team NOT to go bowling that year. Pathetic.
What could have been...

Beat SDSU that year, and we are probably close to #10 heading into the WAC championship game. And then the unmentioned happens, and no bowl game. Without the unmentioned, we would have finished 12 & 0 and been a lock for a good bowl game.

:thumbdown:

And if that all were to happen...where would we be today...
We'd be a hell of a lot better than we are now. Not going to a bowl while being 10-2 killed recruiting.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Chris Prosinski, a fellow Buffalo High School alum, and a kid that was a truly gifted athlete in Buffalo, I used to coach and referee him in YBA basketball and Soccer in Buffalo, his dad was my assistant high school basketball coach and his grandpa was my Driver's Ed coach and PE coach, love the kid and family. Wonderful safety at UW and awesome kid overall. Happy to know a cool kid in the NFL, 1st player in Buffalo High History, I don't like the Eagles but I do follow him.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:
Pardon my ignorance since I'm the new guy, but why'd they take out those seats behind the opposite end zone?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

They were temporary to begin with and only come out for games where huge crowds are expected.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

fromolwyoming wrote:They were temporary to begin with and only come out for games where huge crowds are expected.
Although I dog the new arch, I kind of miss "The Knothole" aka...the cheap seats for the poor people. (Where we sat :) ). You could catch the FGs and XPs. One time in Jr High we caught a ball and high tailed it for the gates. Got tackled by security.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

Based on the players I actually met in college I'd go with Ward Dobbs, he lived in Downey Hall a few floors below my floor. He was always incredibly friendly. A few of my friends were in the same department (PE/Athletic Training if I remember correctly) and said he was always a great guy to be around. Not to mention a total beast on the field.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

I've had a few on my mind...

winner, Jeff Boyle... the ultimate warrior. he was the scariest mound of muscle I've ever seen.

however, there are other players I have met, from different sports. I met Josh Davis and ate lunch with him at Washakie on freshman introduction day. He also lived on my floor of the dorms. I took 99 off to reinvent myself and worked, and trained boxing in Denver. When I came back to UW, I had lost about 80 lbs, and was in this Abercrombie and fitch stage, looking back it was kinda embarrising. But people either thought I was Jay stoner, or vanilla ice. I got that asked that crap all the time. I fought in the cowboy fight night, and won the event in sept. 00. I defended my championship, but lost in the final for the month of November.

when I was 13-14... I went to the cowboy football camp. I cant remember if it was Je'ney Jackson... but they had a touchdown celebration dance off to see who had the moves. I won because I did the "worm". the judge, possibly Je'ney laughed his ass off. the best part is that he was wearing a way to small jersey, and some crazy M.C. hammer (bright colored) tight basketball shorts.

I also knew the bramlet brothers, camped and played on the wheatland team in 97.

so boyle is my winner. but lots of memories.

on a side note... did any of you ever witness the walk of shame. when the dumb bimbos would come stumbling back from the parties at the frat houses. they would walk through the courtyard between white hall, downey, and Washakie. most would have nappy hair, would be missing one shoe, and looked like they just got hit by a truck?

I lived on the top floor of downey, room right next to the balcony. I would wake up and go see the event every Saturday morning. The best memory is when I got dropped of by some "friendly ladies", and had to do the walk myself. And I ran into all the hot girls in the court yard. strange how things come full circle. My memories of college reminded me of Farris Bueller's day off.
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

also, the dean of engineering's daughter was super hot. this was 2000. god damn... like meg ryan with a pistol.

dude...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Met Patrick Chuckwara in a bar one night. Nice guy.

Also met, on more than one occasion, a special team's player from Burlington, WYO. For the life of me, I can't remember his name. Back in about 2000. Had red hair and I think went on to Med School. Really nice guy.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Met Patrick Chuckwara in a bar one night. Nice guy.

Also met, on more than one occasion, a special team's player from Burlington, WYO. For the life of me, I can't remember his name. Back in about 2000. Had red hair and I think went on to Med School. Really nice guy.
I believe you are thinking of Justin Hopkin.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

SDPokeFan wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:Met Patrick Chuckwara in a bar one night. Nice guy.

I believe you are thinking of Justin Hopkin.
Yep! That's it. I don't know why I couldn't remember that. Every time I met him, he was a super nice guy.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

McPeachy wrote:Name your favorite all-time (ONLY ONE) UW football player. Not just because of skill or accomplishment, but also because of your personal interactions, or relationships with said player.

My favorite?

#75 DL Leon Broussard. He is a hell of a guy, solid athlete - but better person. He played in the mid 70's for Fred Akers, and in the Fiesta Bowl in 1976. Hurt his knee (I think ACL - in 77) and never really made it back to form / athletic expectations. After football at UW, I believe he became a sheriff deputy in Laramie, and also owned and operated a used car lot in Laramie. I think he lives in California now - but not sure, as I haven't had much contact with him the last 10 - 15 years.

Ken Fantetti, LB

From Wikipedia:

"Ken Fantetti (born April 7, 1957) is a former American football linebacker who played in the NFL for the Detroit Lions from 1979 through 1985.

Fantetti was born in Toledo, Oregon, in 1957 and played college football at the University of Wyoming from 1975 to 1978. As a senior in 1978, he had 124 tackles, including 73 unassisted tackles, and was selected as an All-American by the Football Writers Association of America.[1] He had 15 unassisted tackles and nine assists in a 1978 game against Utah. He was also selected as the Western Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 1978.[1]

He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in the second round (37th overall pick) of the 1979 NFL Draft.[2] At the time, Lions head coach Monte Clark called Fantetti "a deluxe hitter -- which means he's something special. He's an old fashioned, rough and tough, hard-nosed football player."[3] Fantetti played in 95 games for the Lions from 1979 to 1985.[2]

In 2008, Fantetti opened a barbecue restaurant called Big Ken's BBQ in Portland, Oregon.[4][5]

He was inducted into the University of Wyoming Athletics Hall of Fame in 2003.[1] Fantetti's biography at the Hall of Fame describes him as one of "greatest impact players" and "devastating linebackers" in Wyoming history.[1]"

He was in some of my classes, this tells you how old I am. Ken dressed well, was a very quiet guy off the field and you would never know that he was one of the best LB's in the nation by his actions when he was off the field, went to class and studied hard and was the hardest hitter I have ever seen on the football field. I remember sitting up in the stands, at that time I sat on the eastside of course, but more than a few times I remember him sticking, and I do mean sticking a RB that thought he was going to come across the line and run over guys. Ken stopped these foolish RB's with the loudest pop of pads I have ever heard in a stadium, to the point that the crowd went OHHHHH and then silent....to see if the RB was going to get up! A class act on and off the field and a credit to the University of Wyoming.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I saw wyo at the rams in Fantetti's last year, when the rams ran onto the field thru their fans. Their entire team went out for the coin flip, surrounded our captains and a fight broke out...Fantetti won...he was tossing sheep like they were salmon at pikes place market in seattle. Hell of a player.
PotatoCreekPete
Cowpoke

nwpoke wrote:I saw wyo at the rams in Fantetti's last year, when the rams ran onto the field thru their fans. Their entire team went out for the coin flip, surrounded our captains and a fight broke out...Fantetti won...he was tossing sheep like they were salmon at pikes place market in seattle. Hell of a player.
I remember that game as well. Wasn't that Coach Sark that had the brilliant idea of making his whole team co-captains? That game was the reason that the NCAA passed the "Sark Rule" I believe, which limited the number of co-captains for a game. As you mentioned, the Rammies came running out onto the field through their fans in the stands! 100 Rammies to 4 Cowboys in the middle of the field and Ken won....!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

nwpoke wrote:I saw wyo at the rams in Fantetti's last year, when the rams ran onto the field thru their fans. Their entire team went out for the coin flip, surrounded our captains and a fight broke out...Fantetti won...he was tossing sheep like they were salmon at pikes place market in seattle. Hell of a player.
Haha. Thats quite the visual.