OBNOXIOUS Game Day Music

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

I might be alone here and I guess this only pertains to those who were at the game...but was anyone else annoyed at the voluminous amount of non-stop and ear splitting music at the game this past weekend?

I'm all for keeping the atmosphere as upbeat as possible, however, the constant noise over the loudspeakers with the new music company paid to entertain on gamedays went way too far imo.

There was not a moment's piece of downtime when you did not hear something coming from the loudspeakers at the stadium. It became intrusive to the overall environment at the stadium...not to mention virtually everything they played was non-stop hip-hop, with very few exceptions.

If you hoped to converse with someone in the stands following any play this past Saturday you needed to speak up loudly as the music was constantly in your ears with no relief the entire day.

In my mind there is something to be said for the ebbs and flows of a game, and the ability to let yourself think without being bombarded every second there was a break in the action. Running play stopped for no gain? LOUD MUSIC FOLLOWED. Incomplete pass? LOUD MUSIC FOLLOWED. Kickoff went through the end zone? LOUD MUSIC FOLLOWED. You get the drift.

The band was marginalized and that's too bad because this year's Western Thunder band set an all time record with I believe 230 members...but they took a significant back seat all day to THE LOUD AND OBTRUSIVE MUSIC ALL DAY LONG.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

Oh man did I call that one lol! I can't predict scores for poop but I knew what type of music would be played.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:Oh man did I call that one lol! I can't predict scores for poop but I knew what type of music would be played.

Take away the student section and I'll take an educated guess that with the amount of music played -- a good 90% of the crowd at the game does not identify with it, nor do they like it. It's not our culture. Hip-hop every now and then? No problem...but no matter what music they play too much is an assault on the senses that leaves you feeling bewildered by the end of the game. Factor in how the game went and...
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

DINO wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:Oh man did I call that one lol! I can't predict scores for poop but I knew what type of music would be played.

Take away the student section and I'll take an educated guess that with the amount of music played -- a good 90% of the crowd at the game does not identify with it, nor do they like it. It's not our culture. Hip-hop every now and then? No problem...but no matter what music they play too much is an assault on the senses that leaves you feeling bewildered by the end of the game. Factor in how the game went and...
I'm not going to argue that at all, But the music is generally played for the players and student section because most schools student section gets involved UW on the other hand not so much.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:
DINO wrote:

I'm not going to argue that at all, But the music is generally played for the players and student section because most schools student section gets involved UW on the other hand not so much.
Much has been noted on the basketball forum about the student section...is it your opinion that the student section at the football games needs to step it up more?
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

DINO wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
DINO wrote:

Much has been noted on the basketball forum about the student section...is it your opinion that the student section at the football games needs to step it up more?
Well the product on the court/field is an exact indication of the student section. It's taken time to see the student section come around in Basketball and last year they were much more active then the previous couple years and it was pretty obvious.

I think it's hard to get into a game and cheer the team on and be active when the team doesn't win.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:
DINO wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
DINO wrote:

Well the product on the court/field is an exact indication of the student section. It's taken time to see the student section come around in Basketball and last year they were much more active then the previous couple years and it was pretty obvious.

I think it's hard to get into a game and cheer the team on and be active when the team doesn't win.
Yeah I would agree...I thought the student section this past Saturday was very vociferous during the 1st half...and then it waned as the game went along for obvious reasons.

On the whole I was pumped to see so many people there (it looked like more than what was announced officially) and I got the sense the stadium was set to explode this past Saturday if the Pokes had given them a reason to.

The crowd seemed primed to roar and make noise all day...but the product on the field didn't allow.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

Wyo2dal wrote:
DINO wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:
DINO wrote:

Yeah I would agree...I thought the student section this past Saturday was very vociferous during the 1st half...and then it waned as the game went along for obvious reasons.

On the whole I was pumped to see so many people there (it looked like more than what was announced officially) and I got the sense the stadium was set to explode this past Saturday if the Pokes had given them a reason to.

The crowd seemed primed to roar and make noise all day...but the product on the field didn't allow.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

I wasn't a fan, especially when the sound system started playing after the band was already playing. What gets the student section pumped more, Pitbull or the Beer Song? Come on now.
Yabadabadoo
Cowpoke

GoPokes86 wrote:I wasn't a fan, especially when the sound system started playing after the band was already playing. What gets the student section pumped more, Pitbull or the Beer Song? Come on now.
Speaking of audible elements, how did you like the referee's microphone?
Hayduke
Cowpoke

DINO wrote:
GoPokes86 wrote:I wasn't a fan, especially when the sound system started playing after the band was already playing. What gets the student section pumped more, Pitbull or the Beer Song? Come on now.
Secret calls apparently. How did an apparent hold on UND on a first and ten turn into a first and eleven? I guess math isn't important to be a zebrs!
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Been liked: 10 times

DINO wrote:
It was horrible. Does the athletic staff not do a quick walk through of the on the field mic for the ref? This seems to happen multiple times every season. The whole gameday experience was pretty bad, minus the band. Atmosphere in the stadium was flat after the first review on the field, music was bad, and the product on the field...well...yeah we all saw that.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

GoPokes86 wrote:
DINO wrote:
It was horrible. Does the athletic staff not do a quick walk through of the on the field mic for the ref? This seems to happen multiple times every season. The whole gameday experience was pretty bad, minus the band. Atmosphere in the stadium was flat after the first review on the field, music was bad, and the product on the field...well...yeah we all saw that.
That is a problem that has plagued Wyoming forever - and it is total bush league. All they have to do is have one or two spare headsets to swap out with defective ones.
As far as the music & sound system go, I've done enough work with sound systems to know they were overloading the system badly.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Kougar78
Ranch Hand

You would think the coaches would get sick and tired of having to yell over the music just to talk to the players. I know the music is outrageously loud on the sidelines.

As for the kind of music, I'm over 50 and I don't care if they are running Top 40, Country, Hip Hop or whatever, but Watch Me by Silento should be dragged Straight Outta Compton and never allowed to be broadcast in any venue except for Guantanamo Bay between the hours of 10PM to 5AM.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Wasn't there on saturday, so I guess you have every right to not read this post:

The music they played was the most effective genre to get the most crowd noise (which is the whole point of timeouts). Songs like trap queen, or having the student section nae nae, keep the students cheering even after the music stops. Older fans may appreciate some classic rock, etc. but will sit back down and be quiet once the music stops.

Sure, some mellow music may be more appropriate during reviews or crucial moments where our coaches need to communicate with our players. But in order to get the most energy from the crowd for an extended period of time, you have to target the younger fans.

I also don't care about the volume level destroying our sound system. That thing is terrible and been abused for too long. Thankfully it will be replaced soon along with an updated video board coming in.

Side note: I believe the company they hired uses an app and/or texting service to accommodate song requests. This may not be great as the majority of requests will come from more tech-savvy and younger fans, but it's still a way for fans to have input.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 14 times

This has been one of my biggest gripes about the gameday experience. WE HAVE A f-word BAND!! Let them play!! Watch any game being played by any of the "Big Boys" and aside from the into/entrance music, the band plays the music. No cheesy motivation clips on the "Big Board", no flavor of the week 1980's blaring on the craptastic sound system...it's the band! I wish that someday someone will come to their senses and realize that the band is part of the game.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

PokeTransplant wrote:This has been one of my biggest gripes about the gameday experience. WE HAVE A f-word BAND!! Let them play!! Watch any game being played by any of the "Big Boys" and aside from the into/entrance music, the band plays the music. No cheesy motivation clips on the "Big Board", no flavor of the week 1980's blaring on the craptastic sound system...it's the band! I wish that someday someone will come to their senses and realize that the band is part of the game.
YES. Let the band play. We do have a band and they are great. Take a look at any other MWC school's band and it's not close. Ours is awesome. Unleash them!
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

The music was horrific. Couldn't hear a thing other than that. Well-timed music is one thing...the first 15 secs of 100 lame songs over the course of the game....not so much.
wyocowboy2014
A Real Cowboy

I thought the music was bad as well. Play living on a prayer in the first half? I don't know if the DJ or team was more pathetic having that played that early. If you are going to spend money on a DJ, make it worth while. The DJ played (I am sure was told to play) the exact same music that had been played in previous years. Why hire a DJ to do the same thing you were doing in house before hand. I also thought that they really minimized the amount the band played. The band can really help a crowd out at times and I think they failed at this. PS, not faulting them for the blowout lol.
nirv117
Ranch Hand

I thought the music overall was more distracting than pumping up the crowd. I also would like to hear the band play more.

because of the non-stop music clip playing there wasn't really any cheer leader lead chants, etc. Maybe if the football team had shown up it would have felt different.
God is a Cowboy