Interesting Stats so far.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RAT
1 Cameron Coffman, QB WYO 103 163 63.2 1291 7.9 92 11 6 18 144.6
2 Nick Stevens, QB CSU 98 171 57.3 1190 7.0 43 10 5 8 129.2
3 Brett Rypien, QB BSU 73 104 70.2 1057 10.2 85 7 1 4 175.8
4 Tyler Stewart, QB NEV 95 165 57.6 987 6.0 37 8 3 10 120.2
5 Max Wittek, QB HAW 79 176 44.9 975 5.5 79 5 8 14 91.7

RK PLAYER TEAM ATT YDS YDS/A LONG TD
1 Tyler Ervin, RB SJSU 140 874 6.2 66 11
2 Brian Hill, RB WYO 123 797 6.5 65 3
3 Donnel Pumphrey, RB SDSU 139 577 4.2 34 7
4 James Butler, RB NEV 87 571 6.6 91 2
5 Don Jackson, RB NEV 105 569 5.4 55 6

RK PLAYER TEAM REC YDS AVG LONG TD
1 Tanner Gentry, WR WYO 33 592 17.9 92 3
2 Thomas Sperbeck, WR BSU 27 526 19.5 85 5
3 Rashard Higgins, WR CSU 34 469 13.8 38 4
4 Jerico Richardson, WR NEV 37 388 10.5 37 3
5 Devonte Boyd, WR UNLV 19 331 17.4 64 4

The bolded parts are quite interesting.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Also, copy paste doesn't work all that well with this sort of thing.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Hmm... using Polian's words "really good players", along with the weakest schedule in CFB and no wins. I wonder what that indicates?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote:Hmm... using Polian's words "really good players", along with the weakest schedule in CFB and no wins. I wonder what that indicates?
An incomplete team (many are still developing) and coordinators that are not that good at their jobs?
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Shows how misleading stats can be. Coffman throws 2 td's after we fall behind 28-3 last week. Most of his stats have been built after the game has been decided. Last week, the offense did not have a series that lasted longer than 5 plays until well into the second half. Hill had his biggest game after we were down 31 to EMU. How many catches has Gentry or Mulhardt made when were not down 21? Not many.

I guess if it makes you feel better to see some Wyo. players near the top of the stat sheet, great. It's meaningless.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

I hate to be a cliche but I truly believe this team needs to find themselves. Anyone with eyes can see they are getting better but they can't find a way to score. Part of that is Vigin's play calling. I have been down on our Football teams for a long time but I actually think its going to turn around. It could sure as hell turn around a lot faster though :tickedoff:
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Aaron wrote:I hate to be a cliche but I truly believe this team needs to find themselves. Anyone with eyes can see they are getting better but they can't find a way to score. Part of that is Vigin's play calling. I have been down on our Football teams for a long time but I actually think its going to turn around. It could sure as hell turn around a lot faster though :tickedoff:

I must not have eyes because I don't see any improvement by the offense. In fact, they have regressed, if that's possible.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

We have had alot of excessive stats since 2009 - and even before. The problem is we need those stats to be excessive across the entire team. We nee the lineman crushing the defenders. We need the running backs running all over the place. We need the defenders crushing the o-line and ruining their dreams of running the ball. We need guys jumping up and swatting passes out of no-where.

We get a few of these every year - we need a team of them to do the damage. The starters need to be exceptional - the backups need to be good. Behind that - they need to be learning.

Our team is pretty damn young. It is also not very deep. I think Glenn might have had something here - but he failed. I think Bohl will put it together and make it happen.

Bohl gets along with people. He can recruit some awesome players. He can coach.

This year sucks. I hate it - I hate it alot. I hope we aren't scraping the bottom for no reason. I hope these guys get it together and make us a dynasty in just a few years.

Only time will tell. Its tough.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

One positive to note though, is that the sheep's "Hollywood" Higgins is getting outpaced by Gentry by over 100 yards so far.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Interesting stats. Coffman has played well, apparently we've overestimated the impact a good QB would have. Defense still wins championships.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

J-Rod wrote:Interesting stats. Coffman has played well, apparently we've overestimated the impact a good QB would have. Defense still wins championships.
If he hasn't had his confidence shattered, he's a solid QB. And decent playcalling (when done) helps too.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

J-Rod wrote:Interesting stats. Coffman has played well, apparently we've overestimated the impact a good QB would have. Defense still wins championships.
Those stats are with him missing one game too! Puts it even more in perspective.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:Shows how misleading stats can be. Coffman throws 2 td's after we fall behind 28-3 last week. Most of his stats have been built after the game has been decided. Last week, the offense did not have a series that lasted longer than 5 plays until well into the second half. Hill had his biggest game after we were down 31 to EMU. How many catches has Gentry or Mulhardt made when were not down 21? Not many.

I guess if it makes you feel better to see some Wyo. players near the top of the stat sheet, great. It's meaningless.

It shows that your O players have talent, but your Def can't stop anyone.

It also shows that we have good potential at the top spots in these positions, but it drops off significantly after them. Like Wick, our other back. Six games in and he doesn't even have 100 yards rushing...
Maulhardt is progressing, but behind him your next top target is a TE Hollister.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:Shows how misleading stats can be. Coffman throws 2 td's after we fall behind 28-3 last week. Most of his stats have been built after the game has been decided. Last week, the offense did not have a series that lasted longer than 5 plays until well into the second half. Hill had his biggest game after we were down 31 to EMU. How many catches has Gentry or Mulhardt made when were not down 21? Not many.

It also shows that we have good potential at the top spots in these positions, but it drops off significantly after them. Like Wick, our other back. Six games in and he doesn't even have 100 yards rushing...
Maulhardt is progressing, but behind him your next top target is a TE Hollister.
Your analysis is as accurate as the predictions you make on the games.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

Really? So your telling me that our O doesn't move the ball "ever". And your telling me that our D "does" stop people?

On top of that your telling me that we have equal yardage or close to equal rushing with all our back ups combined than Hill, himself has? Are you telling me that all our WR's can equate to Gentry? Not so much.

Coffman is good, for the most part.
Gentry is a really good WR.
And Hill proves he can run over or around anyone.

Outside of three O players, where is the help? Maulhardt? Hollister? NO ONE!

Besides that your thought on most of our O coming after we're down by 21 or more is pretty inaccurate. Cosidering simple facts. We were never down by that much to UND. Most of our yardage and offense came early in the game against WSU. We were constantly IN the game against UNM. We were down 14 two minutes in to the App st game. And we never really lost our chance at AFA until the fourth quarter. The ONLY game where we went down big and made up Offense while being down big was EMU. And I would equate that game to three things that had nothing to do with your point.
1. Two out of our three top performers were either out or not a factor (Coffman out, Gentry 1-6-0)
2. Our O fell apart trying to figure something out when our BACKUP QB went down
And
3. Our Defense was still young and trying to figure themselves out and... What did I say above? Couldn't stop anyone!

Show me where I'm inaccurate?

It is proof that you will be MORE succesful when you have backups that make up the difference. We thought we would have tandem RBs this year... Not happened. Nevada is a perfect example of a backup being succesful. Both RBs are a one/ two punch and I think were 5 and 6 on that list.

But what do I know? My predictions are wrong. And this is just a internet fan forum. But in reality I have my own success that comes from my knowledge of the game. But to each their own.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Aaron wrote:I hate to be a cliche but I truly believe this team needs to find themselves. Anyone with eyes can see they are getting better but they can't find a way to score. Part of that is Vigin's play calling. I have been down on our Football teams for a long time but I actually think its going to turn around. It could sure as hell turn around a lot faster though :tickedoff:
Aaron, I agree that this team needs to find themselves. I also think they need to learn how to win. You point our Vigen's play calling. But, look how many times the Pokes shoot themselves in the foot when they get in the red zone. Against App St Coffman throws a pick six....the difference in the game. Against Air Force we either fumbled or something else happened to stall drives, etc. This team needs to be confident that when they get in the red zone ,they can score.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

The stats speak for themselves, Really it is all about the stats and it helps you better understand why we are struggling right now. When you only have one target for a receiver and your others are not doing a good job getting open you rely on one person and defenses notice that and put their best defender on him or they double team him effectively removing the passing game for us.

Same can be said for the running game, If that one receiver isn't getting open and they are able to stack the box and single cover other receivers you can't rely on the run game either. It's the sign of a young team that while they may be good athletes they haven't become good college level players yet. Still learning routes and anything else that gives them the ability to separate from the defender.

If we had 2 good receivers and Hill we would have won a game by now but we have the Hill and Gentry show and as soon as those two are shut down things go south in a hurry. It's not all the coaching or the players it's a mix of both and as players mature and learn routes and how to better play the game at the college, If they are truly good players it will come with time.

What were dealing with in Wyoming is the exact same thing the Dallas Cowboys are dealing with, Romo injured backup QB with a lower skill set so the playbook is easy to pick up on. Dez injured so other receivers have trouble getting separation so the defense keys in on the running game.

Plain and simple our wins will come with experience for the players and this year is going to be full of growing and learning pains and no way to accelerate that. We'll win games when the team plays as a team and we no longer rely on 3 players to carry us.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

Really? So your telling me that our O doesn't move the ball "ever". And your telling me that our D "does" stop people?

On top of that your telling me that we have equal yardage or close to equal rushing with all our back ups combined than Hill, himself has? Are you telling me that all our WR's can equate to Gentry? Not so much.

Besides that your thought on most of our O coming after we're down by 21 or more is pretty inaccurate. Cosidering simple facts. We were never down by that much to UND. Most of our yardage and offense came early in the game against WSU. We were constantly IN the game against UNM. We were down 14 two minutes in to the App st game. And we never really lost our chance at AFA until the fourth quarter. The ONLY game where we went down big and made up Offense while being down big was EMU. And I would equate that game to three things that had nothing to do with your point.
1. Two out of our three top performers were either out or not a factor (Coffman out, Gentry 1-6-0)
And
3. Our Defense was still young and trying to figure themselves out and... What did I say above? Couldn't stop anyone!

It is proof that you will be MORE succesful when you have backups that make up the difference. We thought we would have tandem RBs this year... Not happened. Nevada is a perfect example of a backup being succesful. Both RBs are a one/ two punch and I think were 5 and 6 on that list.

But what do I know? My predictions are wrong. And this is just a internet fan forum. But in reality I have my own success that comes from my knowledge of the game. But to each their own.
First point: We were behind in the North Dakota game 21-0.
We were never in the New Mexico game. We were down 28-7 in the first half and got that late deflection td in the final minute to make it a 10 point game.

The only reason we were in the Air Force game was because of our defense. The offense did virtually nothing until the score was 28-3. The defense got worn out due to an unproductive offense.

The only game where the offense moved the ball in any period other than garbage time was the Washington state game. And even then, we were totally shut out for the last 2 and 1/2 quarters. And besides, 14 points does not count as an offensive explosion.

In fact, as I stated in another thread, we've had a deficit of at least 21 points in every game this year except for the Washington state game. I don't give much credence to yardage and points scored after the outcome has been determined. It's obvious you and other posters do. As someone who puts real money on the games, I have to see things the way they are, not how I wish them to be.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Now let's seen the conference rankings for PPG and PAPG. I'm guessing it's not so good.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:
kansasCowboy wrote:

And

First point: We were behind in the North Dakota game 21-0.
We were never in the New Mexico game. We were down 28-7 in the first half and got that late deflection td in the final minute to make it a 10 point game.

The only reason we were in the Air Force game was because of our defense. The offense did virtually nothing until the score was 28-3. The defense got worn out due to an unproductive offense.

The only game where the offense moved the ball in any period other than garbage time was the Washington state game. And even then, we were totally shut out for the last 2 and 1/2 quarters. And besides, 14 points does not count as an offensive explosion.

In fact, as I stated in another thread, we've had a deficit of at least 21 points in every game this year except for the Washington state game. I don't give much credence to yardage and points scored after the outcome has been determined. It's obvious you and other posters do. As someone who puts real money on the games, I have to see things the way they are, not how I wish them to be.
This. I don't know why people are so excited about garbage time stats.